This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Did Terence Young protest United Artists?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Vahan

Vahan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Is is true that Terrence Young, the Director, protested to United Artists for trimming violent scenes and having a line of dialogue changed?

And is it true that the UA Hexagon was removed from the print, following its submission to the BBFC?

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

I know there was challenge about how to rate Doctor No and that Young maintained that the cut would not be changed, but I it may have been Cubby and Harry standing the ground with UA. There's some mention of it in one of the compendium books. It mainly had to do with Bond's second shot into Dent once he was down.

That's as much as I recall.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

I'm positive that Bond, in the original cut, emptied his gun into his back. Hence "You've had your six". I think it's just as ruthless with a second shot, really. As it is in the film. I think Bond shooting him 6 times would be a bit too much. 

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

That was also the scene film critic John Brosnan (of Starburst among others) called 'coldblooded murder'. It's easy to see how they may have had trouble getting it past the authorities. Though I seem to remember the climactic fight may also have been under scrutiny.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

No, it was the second shot. Dent empties his clip and fires six rounds into the bed hence his comment. As a side note, Dent is using a Colt, not a S&W but Bond is also not using a PPK. In the close up, he fits the silencer onto a Browning 1910 auto.

It was all about the second shot. I'll dive into my files later...The book kind. ;)

That was also the scene film critic John Brosnan (of Starburst among others) called 'coldblooded murder'. It's easy to see how they may have had trouble getting it past the authorities. Though I seem to remember the climactic fight may also have been under scrutiny.

Hold on...Are we talking about DN or FRWL. I took the initial query to be about DN.

Vahan - To which of the three Young films are you referring?

#6 Vahan

Vahan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

"Dr. No".

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the clarification. 

Again see above, forgive me for being a bit thrown off. When I read (and as I now re-read) Dustin's comment (I'm still waking up and my first cup of Blue Mountain roast hasn't quite kicked in) above made me think of FRWL.

Also, as I flipped through a few of my books, there were issues with many things on DN. Ursula's bikini, Strangway's and his secretary's murder, Quarrel's handling of the photographer but the second shot into Dent was the big issue. For years, it used to be cut from screenings here in the U.S. networks.