Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

#2 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

Due to my personal belief that Goldfinger is flawless and the epitome of cinema, I refuse to watch this and am appalled by the fact that something like this exists!

Sorry for the outburst :blush: Carry on and feel free to watch it...

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

I made it through 2:30. I feel GF has flaws and don't revere it as much as others, but also don't need a wannabe comedian telling me his "amusing" thoughts on it.

#4 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hilarious.  :)

Points out some of the flaws that I hadn't even noticed in Goldfinger.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:45 PM

There's nothing wrong with Goldfinger!

I'm in denial. I'm a Bond fan. It's what I do.

#6 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Yet you enjoyed EWW GE and EWW SF? :P

#7 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

This is one of the first EWW episodes that had me refuting a number of its points. The ones that come to mind are:

-The henchman at the beginning knew which room was Bond's because the dancer was OBVIOUSLY in league with him.

-The "listening device" that Goldfinger has is an old school hearing aid... or at least that's how it's SUPPOSED to look.

-Sean Connery definitely meant "earmuffs" as it was posh to not enjoy The Beatles when they were still together.

-The gold bar was being carried by Bond's caddy throughout the game. James Bond is a dick to caddies.

And why is the film's audio slowed and lower in pitch than I've ever heard it? I first noticed it the most clearly during Q's speech about the DB5. It's like they put an unnecessary NTSC-slowdown onto the soundtrack... weird!

#8 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

This is one of the first EWW episodes that had me refuting a number of its points. The ones that come to mind are:

-The henchman at the beginning knew which room was Bond's because the dancer was OBVIOUSLY in league with him.

-The "listening device" that Goldfinger has is an old school hearing aid... or at least that's how it's SUPPOSED to look.

-Sean Connery definitely meant "earmuffs" as it was posh to not enjoy The Beatles when they were still together.

-The gold bar was being carried by Bond's caddy throughout the game. James Bond is a dick to caddies.

And why is the film's audio slowed and lower in pitch than I've ever heard it? I first noticed it the most clearly during Q's speech about the DB5. It's like they put an unnecessary NTSC-slowdown onto the soundtrack... weird!

I do agree they were clutching at straws with this one - Criticising the blue/green screen of a 1960s film?

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

Yet you enjoyed EWW GE and EWW SF? :P

Must admit I saw this thread first, and didn't want to repeat myself in the other two. In the other two. In the oth....

#10 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

I do agree they were clutching at straws with this one - Criticising the blue/green screen of a 1960s film?

Especially since the Bond series appears to have only used rear projection up until Brosnan.

#11 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:27 AM

No film is perfect. I do not think such a thing exists. Even the best films ever made (and my favorites) have flaws. Such is life.

Bear in mind that in 1964 the Beatles were still known as a teenybopper-boy band. They did not earn a reputation as artists until Rubber Soul and Revolver,  more than a year later.

#12 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

No film is perfect. I do not think such a thing exists. Even the best films ever made (and my favorites) have flaws. Such is life.

Bear in mind that in 1964 the Beatles were still known as a teenybopper-boy band. They did not earn a reputation as artists until Rubber Soul and Revolver,  more than a year later.

I realize that, but I didn't want to use the term "boy band" as I didn't feel it *properly* encapsulated their early popularity. I may have been wrong.

They were definitely much more popular among teenagers (girls primarily) until Rubber Soul and Revolver and became much more of an overall success (amongst the younger and slightly older generations) after they stopped touring in '66.

Edited by larrythefatcat, 14 February 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#13 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

This guy isn't as clever as he thinks he is: especially when he can't spot plot things like Bond being intentionally sent to the Miami hotel because Goldfinger is there, or plot gags like the aforementioned Beatles thing. Also, just saying anything doesn't count as a 'sin'.

#14 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:52 AM

Agreed! The so called "sins" are almost all not realy sins, or mistakes. In this way you can criticize every movie and say it's rubbish.

#15 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

I think you guys are missing the point of the video - if you look back at his previous videos, they're all nitpicking. It's meant to be tongue in cheek, humorous views.

#16 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

Yes, he does reach for some of these, but there are some that are spot on as well.  Also, as JCRendle says, it's supposed to be nitpicky. 

That said, there are flaws in every film.  Goldfinger has quite a few of them.  It's far from a perfect film, which can be said about every single one of the Bond films.  Some have more flaws than others, Goldfinger has more than some and less tha some others.

#17 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:25 AM

True, there are flaws in every film. But, even if it's supposed to be funny, it can hurt when someone attacks something you really enjoy. Not that I'm complaining, just showing that it's not all about film quality - sometimes it's your personal connection to said film.

#18 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:41 AM

I don't think he's really attacking it, though.  It's just meant to be funny while exposing some of the flaws of a film. 

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

I think you guys are missing the point of the video - if you look back at his previous videos, they're all nitpicking. It's meant to be tongue in cheek, humorous views.

Yes, they're all great fun to watch.

#20 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

But it's not. And it's wrong.

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

Why did Goldfinger not have Mr Solo gassed with the other "businessmen" (Funny euphemism for gangsters!) the narrator asks. Wasn't it something to do with Solo deciding not to carry on with Grand Slam? Would be a bit odd if the one investor who is no longer interested was allowed to stay around and hear the rest of the plan - or so Goldfinger would want the others to think, before killing them.

And why did Oddjob bring back the crushed car? Something to do with gold being in it?

It's a funny, clever summary but misses one or two reasons for the plot developing as it did.

#22 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

It's a funny, clever summary but misses one or two reasons for the plot developing as it did.

Some of them he misses the mark on, I'd agree, but there are a lot of issues he brings up with the film that are accurate.  The green screen issue is a sound one, at least in the shot that he complains about, as it would seem that they wouldn't need a green screen to put in that particular background.  The issues with the PTS are valid (the grappling hook not being thrown from the right place, etc). 

Most importantly, though, this is supposed to be funny, not an academic dissertation on the film and it's flaws.  Goldfinger, like every other film ever made, has its flaws.  It's got quite a few of them, as do most of the Bond films.

#23 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, it had me laughing out loud at times watching it earlier today. But the narrator definitely didn't take in one or two points which in fact were quite justifiable in terms of the story, such as the two I quoted.

#24 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

I think the irritating thing is that he says something stupid/unfunny and then gives himself a little 'ding' noise as if he's scored a real rimshot. Extremely pleased with himself for really no reason. May as well dub canned laughter on.

And he's complaining that a road in the Swiss Alps is a bit twisty..?! What's wrong with this guy? He didn't pick up the part where the knockout gas was fake...? etc.

#25 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

- this is him taking issue with similar issues as you've brought up, and sinning himself.

#26 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

With the knockout gas, I think it's clear from him talking about it that he knows that it's fake.  The idea being that it should be a tipoff to Goldfinger that the canisters have been switched because, if it were real gas, it would take time to make its way down to ground level where the people would actually be breathing it.  The people wouldn't just fall over immediately as the plane flies over their location if the gas were real because it would take some time before they actually started to breathe the poison.  In the film, they just fall over the moment the plane passes over.

#27 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

- this is him taking issue with similar issues as you've brought up, and sinning himself.

Just seems to be him being a bit of a prat. I like how he admits to having a 'top ten list of movies' though.

#28 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

Just seems to be him being a bit of a prat. I like how he admits to having a 'top ten list of movies' though.

Different tastes, and all that. I enjoy the videos and find his work amusing, you don't - You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time...

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Non-pleasing internet geek is non-pleasing, as he might say.

#30 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Yep! It's not clever or intelligent at all! And also not realy funny. Just very lazy and very easy to do. What I said before: you can do that with every movie.

The other one, "How C.R. realy should have ended" is much better and realy nailed it!