8 replies to this topic

#1 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:36 AM

Fans of the literary James Bond may recall that, in 2005, journalist Jeremy Duns published an article indicating that South African author Geoffrey Jenkins had written a James Bond novel titled Per Fine Ounce, a book that, for rather complex reasons, was never published and now appears lost.  Earlier this evening, a friend tipped me off that another South African author, Peter Vollmer, has published a novel, also named Per Fine Ounce, that appears, at a minimum, to incorporate some of the story ideas that had been featured in Jenkins' now-lost novel, albeit with a different hero's name substituted for "James Bond."  I have ordered the book but won't receive it for a while, so I cannot comment beyond these tentative remarks.  As my friend commented, this appears to have flown "under the radar" up until now.

In passing, I note that Duns has published a collection of essays, entitled Duns on Bond, which may well be of interest to literary fans.

#2 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

That's a nice discover, I'll check it out.

Edited by Walecs, 05 February 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#3 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the update! Keep us informed.

For those who want to know more: http://literary007.c...per-fine-ounce/

#4 Moneyofpropre

Moneyofpropre

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yes this book (Vollmer) is real, Duns on Bond is really good but they are not new information in (same things of the article of Duns's blog).

The book of Vollmer isn't flown "under the radar", if you speak french or use googletranslate, you can find all the informations you need here : http://www.commander...mes-bond-perdu/ ;)

#5 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Congratulations to our French friends for being on top of this.  Both books cane as news to me, however, and I'm glad to have found out about them.

#6 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:42 AM

In passing, I note that Duns has published a collection of essays, entitled Duns on Bond, which may well be of interest to literary fans.

Does it include his fan board outbursts? :D :P

Sigh... You'll delete this soon enough, but I find it irritating that you still haven't researched this at all. Read Duff Hart-Davis's bio of Peter Fleming, please. p375. It's extremely clear that Jenkins wrote the whole thing. And here's John Cork to me, July 9 2010:

'Yesterday, I became totally convinced that Geoffrey Jenkins did complete Per Fine Ounce and that he did so under contract.'

John didn't have any evidence for his supposition, which was mistaken. His source for it was PJ-S, who I interviewed about the same thing. John admitted he was wrong privately to me (and said in the email I could make it public). Your continued belief that he was right, despite having clearly not read Hart-Davis (let alone consulted Jenkins' papers, as I did for months, including reading the contract and finding pages from *midway in the novel*) and immature decision to continue to spread this idea online, is precisely why I wanted John to make his error clear in public and where he'd made the original claim. The internet is public. CBN is public. Provide *evidence* for this BS or stop spreading it. I researched the story for over a year. You're certain you know about it having done none. Just some basic research, John, would show you you're wrong. Page 375 of 'Peter Fleming' by Duff Hart-Davis, published in 1974. I'll correct you every time you say this in public until you provide evidence for it or stop doing it.

In case anybody cares, Duff Hart-Davis never read the manuscript nor did he claim to read or handle the manuscript. The Peter Fleming biography was published eight years after PFO was written, either in whole or part. I don't have the Hart-Davis quote before me, but I vaguely recall that he gets the Amis-Jenkins timeline wrong. I'm sure somebody will set me straight if I've gotten it wrong.

EDIT: Hart-Davis writes, "At the same time, however, Glidrose were forced to commission a second Continuation Bond. [...] Glidrose told him to go ahead, but on this book— as on Amis's— they retained the right of suppression; " If Duns' research is correct and I'm not misreading or misquoting him, then Glidrose only approached Amis *after* they caved in to Jenkins.

Edited by glidrose, 06 February 2015 - 01:53 AM.

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:19 PM

I'm afraid that I can't recommend Vollmer's book.  In an interview published at Literary007.com, Vollmer says that he was shown a synopsis of Geoffrey Jenkins' Per Fine Ounce, but was unable, due to copyright, to write a book of similar content.  He further says that this current book "has no similarity" to Jenkins' book.  What we have, therefore, is a Guy Peace continuation novel, not in any way related to Bond.

Even as a standalone thriller, this book has many problems.  There are a couple of decent set pieces, and the final sequence is good enough, but somewhere in the middle it appears that the publisher's editor must have taken a prolonged tea break.  I confess that my own writing is often plagued with various errors, but this is a published book, and I expect better.  There are, for example, spelling errors and numerous grammatical usages that are decidedly odd.  Here are some examples (I could have quoted dozens):

1.  "He recognized others, they mostly VanRhyn's henchmen."

2.  "As expected, this was brightly lit, this by huge mercury-vapour lights, which were strung along the top of the ceiling, this in rows way above them."

3.  "Cherry went first, it immediately obvious that this was nothing new to her as the turnbuckle on her harness drummed as she deftly let the rope slide through her fingers as she swiftly dropped to the ground where she remained crouched."

4.  "He realized that it had to half [sic] some sort of restraining strap."

It wasn't long before these sorts of issues became seriously distracting.  At least there were moments of comic relief:  "A small tracking device had been sewn into the lining of each of their jumpsuits, no doubt a precaution to enable them to be tracked."  Yes, no doubt.

Lastly, and by no means least, Mrs. Tallon and I were in hysterics over the following:  '"Here goes," Peace said with an intake of breath."  If you're having a hard day or just need a laugh, I invite you to try speaking while you inhale.  Yes, it can be done, but the results are amusing in the extreme.

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Yep, I was about to post a comment about this not being the real deal.

http://literary007.c...-peter-vollmer/

"They [the author's agents] sent me a synopsis of the novel ‘Per Fine Ounce’ that Jenkins had written. I wrote back telling my agent that I couldn’t write a novel similar in content to Jenkins due to copyright issues, but submitted my own synopsis for another book, which had no similarity with Jenkins’ ‘Per Fine Ounce’, in the hope to write another South African spy thriller altogether,"

BTW, the character's name is Geoffrey Peace, not Guy.

#9 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:41 AM

Ha!  I've done it again, haven't I?