This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Moonraker Complete Score Official Kickstarter!

78 replies to this topic

#31 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:14 AM

What do you mean with "legally clear it"? Eon/UA/MGM owns it, I presume?

If there is money for hiring an expert to search for it and than " clean"/remaster the sound... Ofcourse that cost time and money.

In 2003 it was also a time/money issue why there were no more soundtracks with bonus tracks.

If that was not the problem than we also have had Golden Gun, Spy and GoldenEye with bonus tracks.

It's always about money.

#32 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:15 AM

You're so right Cat, the prague players are leaps and bounds better than they were when they recorded that Freefall cue on the Bond Back In Action 2 album 15 (!!!) years ago.  

By the way, we're at $11,450 in just over one day.  Get excited.

#33 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Pounds Rich, BRITISH POUNDS! That's a lot more than if it were in dollars.

Also Grard, I'd be happy to tell you how soundtrack production works over a glass of mint julip on a porch. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it should be in an ideal world.

#34 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:25 AM

Pounds Rich, BRITISH POUNDS! That's a lot more than if it were in dollars.

Also Grard, I'd be happy to tell you how soundtrack production works over a glass of mint julip on a porch. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it should be in an ideal world.

Yes yes... typo.

And it's true.... soundtrack production is ridiculously complicated, which is why I usually self produce all of my own releases which is extremely easy to do digitally thanks to loudr and bandcamp.  

#35 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:01 AM

Why not get money together to find and release the complete original score?

Okay, let's get one thing straight. Releasing the original tracks is not about money. You can release a score if you don't have money. You can even release a score if the master tapes are lost. But you CAN NOT release a score if you can not legally clear it. I mean you can, but then it's called a bootleg.

But you say you have the clearance...? You always make this more confusing than it needs to be; I'm not terribly convinced by your claims a lot of the time.

#36 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

Okay, let's get one thing straight. Releasing the original tracks is not about money. You can release a score if you don't have money. You can even release a score if the master tapes are lost. But you CAN NOT release a score if you can not legally clear it. I mean you can, but then it's called a bootleg.

But you say you have the clearance...? You always make this more confusing than it needs to be; I'm not terribly convinced by your claims a lot of the time.

No, he hasn't. Else, he'd probably release it.

I've had the rare chance to get a bit of insight into The Cat's Bond music research. In a nutshell: Amazing.

I daresay he knows about this stuff like Charles Helfenstein knows about OHMSS. Maybe even better.

#37 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

Just a question for The Cat: Your list includes the Strauss and Tchaikovsky cues. Does that mean they were recorded specifically for the film, and not taken from another source?

#38 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Well, it's a very interesting question. I basically listed them because if I didn't, I'be labeled unprofessional. :D As far as I know, these piece were recorded for the film, just like how Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia was re-recorded for The Spy Who Loved Me.

Still, they are not intrinsic to Barry's score and have no knowledge whether they'd be included on this re-recording or not.

Fun fact: Barry produced a different recording of The Magnificent Seven about 18 years prior to Moonraker. I think you'd enjoy it:

#39 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

No, he hasn't. Else, he'd probably release it.

Then I clearly read this next sentence wrong! 

Ofcourse you don't have the actual music. It's lost, at least for now.  And if you have it, please get it released.

Yes, I have legal clearance to release the music.  :D Unfortunately that's not so easy.  :)

That's the thing with him; he likes to play mysterious too much. 

#40 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Then I clearly read this next sentence wrong! That's the thing with him; he likes to play mysterious too much.

Unfortunately my special mix of sarcasm and disillusionment is hard to convey in writing. I tried to find the most tongue-in-cheek smiley - but I obviously failed.

#41 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

I thought you rerecorded it, or something like it, because you said you have the sheet music.

Sarcasme and tongue in sheek doesn't work that well on the net, because you can't always read what the other person means.

But why don't you just tell us what is exactly the case about the Moonraker tapes, so we all understand it and know what is going on?

Edited by Grard Bond, 13 January 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#42 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

Then I clearly read this next sentence wrong! That's the thing with him; he likes to play mysterious too much.

Unfortunately my special mix of sarcasm and disillusionment is hard to convey in writing. I tried to find the most tongue-in-cheek smiley - but I obviously failed.

Clearly. You must explain the joke to me one day.

#43 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

Very cool news on the re recording! I would love to have an official release with out takes. La la land has done such amazing work with the Star Trek film scores! I'm sure they would love to put it out!

I wonder what the legal issues are with eon and the distribution?

Sound like the cat knows all on this subject. It's great to know that the score is not lost and in safe hands then! Correct me cat, are you saying you have the score and original tapes but are unable to release them officially due to legal issues with eon and other parties??

Time to come clean!!

#44 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

It's all pretty simple. At this stage, this is the only way to hear all the Moonraker music.

#45 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

But... WHY?

#46 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

... Because the tapes have been... and always will be... lost.  They were transferred from Davout studios in Paris to London to be mixed in '79 and then never seen again.  After the mix was completed, for some reason the tapes were not placed with the other Bond score master tapes.  Lord only knows where they are now, this Moonraker debaucle has always been one of the great film score mysteries.

Even if they could be found the recording and mix were both so damn awful (due to being done quickly) that I'm not entirely sure anyone could make it sound somewhat decent.

Even if Cat had the original sheet music as well as the recording rights and wanted to record the score... it'd be $80k to $150k minimum for a decent size session orchestra, engineers, recording space, etc.  This is our best and only chance to hear the full Moonraker score, accept it, and back the kickstarter :).

#47 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

What Rich said! Here's a reminder:

https://www.kickstar...rding?ref=email

#48 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

Nobody ever has looked for the tapes. Nobody knows realy anything about them. Searching for the tapes would be a start....don't you think?

The original album, LP and cd, sounds great to me, so why would the rest of the tapes not sound great after it is mixed?

Eon/MGM/EMI are just not interested in having released all the Bondmovies scores with bonus material. That is the biggest problem of them all.

In 2002/2003 only Thunderball was meant to have bonustracks. We're Lucky that Lukas Kendall found also the tapes with Twice, OHMSS, DAF and LaLD (and Golden Gun and Spy who..) and got some money to mix them too. Otherwise we only would have got Thunderball with bonus stuff. They just don't care at all.

My hope was for a label like Intrada or La La Land to get permission to search for the tapes, mix and release the complete score, but, hey..., maybe that's wishfull thinking?!

Edited by Grard Bond, 14 January 2015 - 11:44 PM.

#49 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

Eon/MGM/EMI are just not interested in having released all the Bondmovies scores with bonus material. That is the biggest problem of them all.

Well, that's settled then. I'm happy you figured the answer out. Now back to Kickstarter. :)

For instance, there are new pledges available! A 40 pound pledge gives you signed CD and a one-off 2000 pound pledge can give you even more!

Edited by The Cat, 15 January 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#50 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

Well, it's a very interesting question. I basically listed them because if I didn't, I'be labeled unprofessional. :D As far as I know, these piece were recorded for the film, just like how Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia was re-recorded for The Spy Who Loved Me.

Still, they are not intrinsic to Barry's score and have no knowledge whether they'd be included on this re-recording or not.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to include them, but they're not needed, really. The Magnificent Seven cue, however, would definitely be worth a re-recording. It's interesting to see that Barry had already arranged this theme before.

Edited by mattjoes, 16 January 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#51 Lotman

Lotman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

The Cat, are those the official cue titles? (Though I think that Barry almost never named his cues, right?) Do you have the official cue titles for the released tracks? Would be esp. interesting for the two cues in "Miss Goodhead Meets Bond".

#52 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

The official cue titles of this (and most Bond movies) are occasionally hoplessly stupid, usually describing the action of what happens when the music begins or a line of dialogue from the beginning or the end. That was the case here too, so I don't think the official cue titles will make it to the album. I will answer your questions in a PM.

Edited by The Cat, 16 January 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#53 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Backed!  

#54 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

I thought this was interesting reading. It makes sense that the tapes for Moonraker were sent to London.

http://filmscoremont...95139&archive=0

#55 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

They'll have to get a choir in too.

#56 00Jaws

00Jaws

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi The Cat,

You once told me that you were planning to release a book related to Bond music. Is there any update on that? It's always interesting to read your input (here and on FSM) and get to know some background knowledge on this subject.

And your old site is down for good, huh?

Greets

#57 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

Err,,,,,look at his sig.  :dry:

As for the site....I miss the updates, especially the tidbits of audio files he offered!

#58 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Err,,,,,look at his sig.  :dry:

That's not the one. He's talking about a book on Bond music only.

I've heard that soundtracks aren't the only thing that are difficult to release...

#59 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

Aren't I a scamp. Trying to help sales for The Cat.  :P

#60 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

Just now nearly £24,000.00, including my own recent pledge.