This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

TELEVISION: What are you watching? (2015)

45 replies to this topic

#31 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:08 AM

Finished up Archer Vice. It was by an extremely wide margin, the worst season of Archer. I liked the concept of Archer and company becoming drug runners, but that was pretty much the only good idea they had, and they failed to execute it. I will say, the last two episodes were pretty good, but the eleven that came before were crap, full of the most repetitive jokes (we get it, Pam has a coke problem), lackluster comedy, and uninteresting plots.

Amazingly, this most recent season is arguably it's best, and a very strong rebound from last season.
Agents of SHIELD has been outstanding. Last episode was arguably in the top 3 for the series as a whole. The fight choreography is some of the best I've ever seen on TV. Hope they can keep up the quality and increase the viewership, as I'd really hate to see this one get cancelled.
I really like the show too but I'm afraid it may not return.

#32 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

I really like the show too but I'm afraid it may not return.

It would be a shame. I'd be much happier if they gave me more Agent Carter, though.

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Teaser Trailer for Season 2 of True Detective:

#34 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

2 more days, winter is coming....

#35 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

http://www.ew.com/ar.../shield-spinoff

SHIELD spinoff in the works.

#36 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

http://www.ew.com/ar.../shield-spinoff

SHIELD spinoff in the works.

As long as they bring Agent Carter back as well, I'm on board. Loving the additional world-building Marvel/Disney are doing with the television shows.

#37 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:24 AM

2 more days, winter is coming....

Really? I'm eagerly awaiting the return of Pied Piper (Silicon Valley), but I'll settle for some Game Of Thrones. I'll probably wait a few weeks, I still have all of season 4 to catch up on.

#38 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:51 PM

After finally finishing Daredevil, it really is the best thing Marvel has ever done. It's hard to find that this series takes place in the MCU when it is so much different - tonally and thematically, from their ridiculous films. It is, as expected, better than the 2003 film starring Ben Affleck in every aspect. It is grim, dark, gritty, and all those adjectives I don't like, but It works. This is Daredevil done right. Charlie Cox is nothing short of amazing as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, fully encompassing the character. Vincent D'onofrio Who plays Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin is terrifying. A Villain to reckoned with, and definitely the best in the MCU. It's interesting how we see the two characters have a similar upbringing, and that it was difficult and that they had challenges of their own to overcome, but in the end, have different views on saving the city - contrasting each other. I wish they delved a little more into the powers of Daredevil. Sure he's blind and that all he sees is a "world on fire", but there's times where it is just a little hard to believe a blind man can do so much. Not to mention the fight choreography could be a little iffy at times. Namely the long take-fight scene at the end of season two which looks like a botched pro wrestling match. Take those away, and you have one hell of a series. I'm hoping for the same outcome with their follow up Netflix show AKA Jessica Jones.

8/10

#39 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

After finally finishing Daredevil, it really is the best thing Marvel has ever done. It's hard to find that this series takes place in the MCU when it is so much different - tonally and thematically, from their ridiculous films. It is, as expected, better than the 2003 film starring Ben Affleck in every aspect. It is grim, dark, gritty, and all those adjectives I don't like, but It works. This is Daredevil done right. Charlie Cox is nothing short of amazing as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, fully encompassing the character. Vincent D'onofrio Who plays Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin is terrifying. A Villain to reckoned with, and definitely the best in the MCU. It's interesting how we see the two characters have a similar upbringing, and that it was difficult and that they had challenges of their own to overcome, but in the end, have different views on saving the city - contrasting each other. I wish they delved a little more into the powers of Daredevil. Sure he's blind and that all he sees is a "world on fire", but there's times where it is just a little hard to believe a blind man can do so much. Not to mention the fight choreography could be a little iffy at times. Namely the long take-fight scene at the end of season two which looks like a botched pro wrestling match. Take those away, and you have one hell of a series. I'm hoping for the same outcome with their follow up Netflix show AKA Jessica Jones.

8/10

I'm also highly looking forward to Iron Fist!

#40 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

NBC cancels Hannibal.

The remaining ten episodes will air, but the current season (3) will be the last on NBC.

I'm hoping there's a big possibilty that the show is picked up by either Amazon or Netflix. It wasn't the quality, but the ratings, and NBC putting the show in such awful time slots (especially season 2's death slot) didn't help either. The show has always remained consistent and has developed a large fan following as well as critical acclaim. It'd be awesome to see it picked up and have Bryan Fuller & Co's work finished.

#41 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

Just discovered and watched all of Silicon Valley these past couple of weeks.  Hilarious, especially the "mean jerk time" bit at the end of season one.  Totally captures the obliviousness problem solvers get when obsessed with a problem.  Also, S.W.O.T. (Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunites-Threats)--can't wait to use that one at the next stupid staff development day!  "This just became a job!"

#42 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

Just discovered and watched all of Silicon Valley these past couple of weeks.  Hilarious, especially the "mean jerk time" bit at the end of season one.  Totally captures the obliviousness problem solvers get when obsessed with a problem.  Also, S.W.O.T. (Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunites-Threats)--can't wait to use that one at the next stupid staff development day!  "This just became a job!"

Glad you've enjoyed Silicon Valley! I think it's the best comedy show airing on television right now, and each episode just leaves me wanting more! Mike Judge & Co. have done a terrific job on developing the show's story over 18 episodes without getting stale or just repeating stuff. Love the direction, and especially love the characters. Looking forward to see what's going to happen in Season 3.

#43 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:04 AM

Glad you've enjoyed Silicon Valley! I think it's the best comedy show airing on television right now, and each episode just leaves me wanting more! Mike Judge & Co. have done a terrific job on developing the show's story over 18 episodes without getting stale or just repeating stuff. Love the direction, and especially love the characters. Looking forward to see what's going to happen in Season 3.

Interestingly, I happen to know Mike Judge's cousin, and was talking to her about Gilfoyle being my favorite character. 

It's more an an 18 part story arc told in half hour segments with actions in one episode having lasting effects in later ones.  Yet one can drop in on any episode and absorb the story.

#44 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

Just watched the first episode of Mr. Robot (USA Network). Very compelling and creepy story of a young hacker working for a cyber security firm, who meets up with an anarchist collective ("Hacktivists"?) looking to bring down a huge Enron-ish corporation. Definitely gave me a Tyler Durden/ Fight Club kind of vibe. 

#45 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

Just finished the second season of Penny Dreadful. Following a very efficient season opener that had little intrigue but very effectively set up the rest of the run, the second season of the show was a much more even affair than the first. The character development was handled much better, with a few neat twists and turns along the way. The finale was also a huge step up from last seasons let down, as well. In all, I can't wait for season 3.

#46 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:51 AM

I love Penny Dreadful and the second season finale was very satisfying in that it could have been a series finale. 

I liked the first episode of Humans and the first episode of Mr. Robot.  But the second episodes for both of them might have lost me.