One of my favorite things to ponder regarding Bond films is how different DAF would have been if Lazenby was in the role of 007. Not only would we have a more serious film, it might have had the potential to cement Lazenby as one of the best Bonds. Granted this is pure speculation, but I can't help but "fantasy write" the plot for a Lazenby DAF:
- The overall tone is more akin to LTK, Bond shuns MI6 in favor of hunting down Blofeld regardless of consequences.
- The opening is similar, but less humorous. Bond travels the globe in a montage looking for any SPECTRE remnants to try and get a fix on Ernst.
- When he does find Blofeld, the fight is an epic confrontation. Ideally, it leaves Blofeld "dead" and Bond in grave condition (cue PTS).
- Plot plays out similarly, with slight changes. Examples: combine Wint and Kidd into one henchman, change the locale from Las Vegas to another resort city with a casino presence (Monaco perhaps), etc.
- Instead of a space lazer, Blofeld uses smuggled diamonds to buy government officials in an attempt to "legitimize" himself and essentially run his own city or country.
- A final showdown is the climax of the film, with a definitive Blofeld death. Wint/Kidd henchman is the surprise before credits roll.
Man, I want to see this movie now...