Jaws spin-off?

11 replies to this topic

#1 George White

George White

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I once heard that they were going to do a spin-off for the steel-mouthed assassin. Would it have been him as a spy or as a horror movie antagonist? And would they have changed the title from jaws (obviously) to the Steel-Mouthed Jaws or summat? 

#2 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

They were also going to do a Wai-Lin movie, and then a Jinx spin-off.

I guess they would have been a lot cheesier than Die Another Day.

#3 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

I doubt a spin-off of a (once) villain would fly. Now an ally spin-off (Felix, Anya, etc.) maybe...

#4 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I doubt a spin-off of a (once) villain would fly. Now an ally spin-off (Felix, Anya, etc.) maybe...

Maybe they planned to do a prequel to TSWLM, or maybe the spin-off possibility was discussed between TSWLM and MR, and then they decided to bring him back in next Bond film (MR, indeed), rather than make his own movie.

Edited by Walecs, 11 September 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#5 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

I could see that. Jaws as a henchman for hire in between films...

#6 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

I once heard they were going to hire Richard Kiel to play Bond in OHMSS but Kiel thought he was too young, that anybody would be crazy taking over from Sean Connery and that apparently Kiel couldn't convincingly do a British accent. Also he didn't exactly have leading man looks.

Unless you have proof, I'm dismissing the spin-off claim as unfounded fan rumor / fantasy. No shortage of that in these realms.

Lewis Gilbert is however on the record saying that Jaws would marry in the next film (FYEO).

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

As Walecs said I could see an Ally spin-off (e.g. Anya Amasova) more than a one-time henchman, after all they did do considerable work on a Jinx spin-off after "Die Another Day" reportedly Purvis and Wade had produced a draft screenplay for it. 

A little off-topic, but this reminds me of the return of Anya Amasova in "A View to a Kill". Apparently Barbara Bach refused to appear in the movie so they renamed the character Pola and hired Fiona Fullerton to play the role. I always wished that Barbara had been a little more receptive to the franchise that made her such a well-known sex symbol of the late 1970s.

#8 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:02 PM

A little off-topic, but this reminds me of the return of Anya Amasova in "A View to a Kill".

I didn't know that Amasova was supposed to return, but I think that it could have been a nice move considering AVTAK was Moore's last movie as Bond.

#9 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

There were a few characters during Moore's run that I could have seen in a spin-off: Anya, Octopussy (and her female troupe), Lt. Hip, J.W. Pepper (being totally serious here!), etc.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

A little off-topic, but this reminds me of the return of Anya Amasova in "A View to a Kill".

I didn't know that Amasova was supposed to return, but I think that it could have been a nice move considering AVTAK was Moore's last movie as Bond.

Yes, Barbara Bach was asked to reprise her role as Anya, but by that point she had started a family with Ringo Starr and for all intents and purposes retired from acting.

#11 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yes, Barbara Bach was asked to reprise her role as Anya, but by that point she had started a family with Ringo Starr and for all intents and purposes retired from acting.

Really? She was doing a movie a year at this point. Wouldn't have taken much time to shoot her scenes had she done AVTAK.

1986 To the North of Katmandu
1984 Give My Regards to Broad Street
1983 Princess Daisy (TV Movie)
1982 The Cooler (Short)

#12 George White

George White

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

It was in an SFX or Dreamwatch c.2000 I remember reading it in. But I think I read it in something from the 70s too.