6 replies to this topic

#1 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

The name's McBond, Jimmy McBond: How would that British icon 007 vote in the Scottish referendum?
That question is as tough as the man himself, says Matthew Parker

Sunday Times 31 Aug 2014

Bond is a British icon, demonstrated beyond argument by his show-stealing at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics. But isn't he actually Scottish? If Scotland goes it alone, will they take him with them? It is only at the end of the very late novel You Only Live Twice, written in Jamaica in the first two months of 1963, when we learn for the first time about Bond's Scottish roots. M, believing Bond to be dead, writes his obituary with the detail that his father is a Scot from "the village of Glencoe". The most recent Bond film, Skyfall, made much of this detail. "Going back in time" to Scotland, Bond and M pause on the A82 in front of the stunning peaks of Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag, a backdrop also in Highlander and Braveheart. Then there is the gloomy, gothic Skyfall childhood home in Glencoe (actually a set built in Surrey). Bond confesses he "always hated the place". To underpin the grittiness of the locale, Albert Finney's character blasts a shotgun into the guts of a foreign-looking baddie with the words: "Welcome to Scotland."

Strictly speaking, these scenes, overdid Bond's Scottishness. In M's obituary in You Only Live Twice we learn that young Bond, because of his Swiss mother and his father's expatriate job, grew up in Europe and southern England, not Scotland, although he did spend a short time in the "Calvinistic" and "rigorous" atmosphere of Fettes school, having been expelled from Eton. Furthermore, up until that time in the novels, Bond is firmly English -- he never visits Scotland, which is hardly mentioned. The homeland he is defending is always England rather than Britain; in fact, he's a Home Counties Tory, only reading the Times and despairing at the "featherbedding" of the post-war welfare state and the "assertiveness of young Labour" these days.

But when in Fleming's last novel, The Man with the Golden Gun, Bond is offered a knighthood, he turns it down, claiming to wish to remain a Scottish peasant". What happened? Fleming himself was part-Scottish. His grandfather Robert Fleming came from humble origins in Dundee before establishing a bank that made the family's fortune. He moved south to a pile in the Home Counties, but the family regularly gathered at rented Scottish hunting lodges. But Fleming, a lover of nature, took no pleasure in the outdoor pursuits, saying later he "would rather catch no salmon than shoot no grouse". He preferred to stay in the warmth listening to the exotic tropical rhythms of the Royal Hawaiian Serenaders. He would later categorise Scottish scenery as "all those dripping evergreens".

Even when rich, grandfather Robert remained parsimonious, never taking a taxi in his life. Ian saw the two sides of his family as conforming to national stereotypes: his father's Scottish side was austere and reserved, while his mother's English family were notoriously vain, extravagant and self-indulgent. Fleming inherited this split personality: although a prodigious drinker and womaniser, the house he built in Jamaica was simple and austere, without comfortable furniture, hot water, kitchen appliances or even windows. This split is passed on to Bond, who is not all playboy, being fond of cold showers and rigorous fitness training. It is this tension, between luxury and austerity, between appetites indulged or suppressed, that gives Bond his psychological energy, his flashes of coldness and warmth, his standoffish charisma.

Writing about Jamaica, it was not lost on Fleming that most of the landowners were descendants of Scots, rather than English. Some of them were sprung from the handful of survivors of William Paterson's "Darien disaster". Others were ambitious second or third sons of distinguished families or refugees from England's wars against Scotland (there are two Cullodens on Jamaica's map). He put their success down to the Scots' "leather morale". In the same year as his first Bond novel, he wrote in the Spectator: "The Scots are naturally patient and sober, and that is why they make such wonderful colonisers." For arch imperialist Fleming, this was the highest praise. "They also have a hardy and absorbing inner life," he went on, which means the "apathy to the tropics does not irk them". In addition, they seem to have a proper attitude to the colonised. Bond's relationship with his Jamaican aide Quarrel, "remained that of a Scots laird with his head stalker; authority was unspoken and there was no room for servility".

But neither Fleming's background nor his admiration for Scottish hardiness and empire-building completely explains Bond's sudden reinvention as a Scot. In early 1962, Fleming was in Jamaica as always, but this time the first Bond film, Dr No, was being shot on the island. Fleming had always imagined David Niven in the role and was put out when the working-class Scot Sean Connery was cast. Connery later said: "Fleming was not that happy with me as a choice. He called me an overdeveloped stuntman." The film's director, Terence Young, told the actor who played Strangways: "Sean's got this terrible Scottish accent, but I think he's going to make it."

Connery more than made it, of course, and part of his success was the modern classlessness he brought to what on paper was really an old fashioned imperial role. And with the huge commercial success of the first film, Fleming looked again and how he portrayed his hero, declaring that Connery was 'not quite the idea I had of Bond, but he would be if I wrote the books over again'. Indeed, it is only after the release of Connery's first film that Bond suddenly is outed as a Scot.

So, more than anything, it was Connery who made Bond Scottish. Given Sir Sean's longtime support for Scottish independence, should we imagine his co-creation putting his mark for 'yes'? James Bond experts and Fleming's extended family both believe that Bond was too fond of the 'grand nation' of the United Kingdom and what he saw as its achievements to countenance separation. Early Bond: no doubt - a firm cross on the 'no' box. But if the vote came at the end of his career when Bond is disillusioned with the Service and even with himself and his endless mission to prop up British decline, who knows where his pen might drop?

A few brief notes...
* Bond actually began calling himself Scottish in OHMSS, which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), was written after Connery was cast but before the first Bond film's release.
* If memory serves, Fleming actually referred to himself as a Scot in his Playboy interview.
* Fleming had NOT always imagined David Niven in the role of Bond. His first choice seems to have been Richard Burton. I hope this canard is eventually laid to rest.
* There's no way even the later Bond--who isn't as disillusioned with the Service as Parker suggests--would vote for Scottish independence. Bond's political opinions remain relatively consistent throughout the books. Fleming himself was a product of a Scots-English union.
* Connery's casting probably encouraged Fleming to draw on his own Scottish background and share it with Bond, and this was part of a larger trend in Britain during the 60s, as class barriers crumbled with postwar affluence, and actors no longer disguised their regional accents. Connery's friend Michael Caine is a prime example--before the 60s no leading man would have retained such a prominent Cockney accent.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

I suppose this whole Scotland Yes/Better Together affair is really far too much a topic of our times. Bond - Fleming's Bond - would likely not even believe the current state of near-independence, let alone a trend to leave the UK behind. Bond simply wouldn't believe this is a serious or realistic option in the near future. To him it would sound like science fiction.

That said there are Bond's musings about Jamaica - in TMWTGG - after it only just managed to gain independence; only to remain an obedient servant of the Empire it was formerly a part of. So one might imagine Bond, the half-Scot, would keep his fingers crossed for the underdog and secretly hope for a Yes-vote, simply based on the assumption that in reality nothing significant would change.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

I've just finished reading Matthew Parker's book  "Goldeneye Where Bond Was Born - Ian Fleming's Jamaica". I can find nothing in it to suggest that either Ian Fleming or his fictional creation regarded themselves as purely Scottish to the extent that their loyalties would lie with Scotland alone, independent or otherwise. If Bond was becoming disillusioned with his work - and I can't remember any sign of it at the end of The Man With The Golden Gun - it was because of the nature of his work not the country he was working for. In fact I think he calls himself a "Scottish peasant" simply as a device to avoid an award of a knighthood which he thinks would transform him into a public figure, a bit of a handicap for a special agent I'd have thought. (What with those "fanciful books" written about him and mentioned in his rather premature "Obit" in You Only Live Twice!)

Just a couple more observations. Robert Sellers' book "The Battle For Bond" does mention Richard Burton as a possible 007 in the proposed movie to be produced by Kevin McClory in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Imagine that - James Bond, a man of Scots and Swiss ancestry created by a man of part Scots ancestry but mostly English in domcile and upbringing - and played by the undeniably Welsh Richard Burton! Perhaps it would be better to call Bond British!

And secondly, supposing one of the cantons making up Switzerland decided to go for independence? What would be the view of the son of the late Monique Delacroix, I wonder? ;)

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

Good call on the cantons of Switzerland, Guy Haines. Isn't it odd that in OHMSS, the adventure with the most time spent in Switzerland, there is practically no sense of 'coming home' for Bond? That, while former times of Bond in the country are mentioned in different books, the readers never get the idea the country is anything more to Bond but a brilliant backdrop to his younger days? Monique Delacroix, whatever else she may have taught her son, most certainly didn't spend much time on developing his sense for the Swiss half of his origin.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

As for Bond becoming gradually disenchanted with the nature of his job... I think there are signs of this process spread at least since FRWL: the Service - previously an organisation of near-infallible integrity and efficiency - suddenly features Paymaster Captain Troop, a narrow-minded bureaucrat and desk jockey most everybody else hates and despises. And the Service does this mainly (or so we are lead to believe) for exactly this very reason, so the rest of the crew have a common enemy on executive level they can aim their misgivings on, in order to work better at the really important stuff. This is what I would expect from Harry Palmer or Bernhard Samson, not from the heroic Secret Service of the Bond world.

Further signs show up in DN: Strangways was on his post as station head for over five years without being relieved; a long time in the tropics, as Bond notes. M ignores this comment, and M is the most disturbing feature in this novel. Not only does he criticise Bond for the choice of his weapon - which he himself sent him after the Moonraker affair; Bond had to replace it after DAF, but M cannot know this as Bond covered the deaths of Wint and Kidd without involvement of the Service - and forces a new model upon him. Much more troubling is the thought the head of the Caribbean station and his number two disappear at the same time and M is immediately willing to chalk it up to a couple of lovebirds on a romantic escape. This is outright stupid and a definite show of incompetence on M's side. Consequently Bond doesn't dare informing HQ about the poisoned fruit and the various other leads and sets out to investigate himself. One feels tempted to share his fears M would steadfastly continue to ignore his findings.

By GF Bond himself shows a definite tiredness with his calling. We also learn the famous 00-section is apparently not exactly seen as the heroes of the Secret Service and Bond is made to work the nightshift so he's not entirely useless between assignments. Bond himself actually doesn't mind the change of routine, but I for one cannot fail to note the shift from the quasi-mythical 00-agent with flexible office hours and simultaneous affairs with three different married women to the rather unspectacular - albeit intriguing - routine as duty officer of the night watch. Would anybody actually be surprised to see Sam Collins take over from Bond after he got the Goldfinger case?

Another milestone is of course YOLT. Here M himself argues the 00-section was actually below Bond, a waste of time for a seasoned and valued officer. Yes, this is just a ruse to trick Bond into getting his teeth into the highly improbable task of charming the Japanese Intelligence Service into granting access to their Magic 44 code breaking operation. But the underlying logic still holds true, the 00-section isn't really involved in intelligence matters and its members ought to look elsewhere if they want to continue their careers. Part of Bond deeply regrets this. But another part of him knew it all along.

Finally there is The Living Daylights. To me this always will be the last Bond story, although I of course know it wasn't - and wasn't even conceived as such. Still, it marks the end of the whole transformation from Fleming's Secret Service/SIS to le Carré's Circus. Bond's assignment is murder. Not exactly, but pretty near it. Bond is the executioner, complete with velvet hood. The whole atmosphere in this dirty little love story is Smiley's Circus, from the 'friends' in quotation marks, as the Americans are continuously referred to, right down to the bottle of whisky and the tranquillisers for the headsman. One can easily imagine this as a Scalphunter job, too rough and bloody for the local staff. In fact one could almost see Bond aiming across the freshly built Berlin Wall at Liz Gold as she comes across the cut razor wire, Alec Leamas only a few steps behind her. Bond himself voices his hope the botched job would get him sacked from the 00-section, an outburst previously unheard of from him.

Edited by Dustin, 03 September 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

It does seem odd that in OHMSS there's not one reflection on Bond's Swiss ancestry, especially since ancestry is at the heart of the story - admittedly that of Blofeld, but we do have that amusing scene at the College of Heralds with Griffon Or prattling on and on about "Bond of Bond Street". It's as if Bond's mother's background didn't matter - she was Swiss but married a Scot and they produced an Englishman, and although Ian Fleming occasionally comments that there's something "un English" about Bond, I don't think he meant that Bond was Scottish/Swiss, rather that his job took him away from the UK and the effects of it - not least the tan which M comments on in Moonraker - give Bond an appearance not typical of an Englishman.

Bond becoming gradually disillusioned with his work might have reflected Ian Fleming becoming tired of his annual task of turning out a new Bond novel between the start of the year and the end of February. At the start he wrote 2000 words a day, by the end  it was a real struggle to write for more than an hour. Ill health wouldn't have helped I imagine. There were the two attempts to bump Bond off - From Russia With Love and You Only Live Twice. I suppose the demands of the publishers and the readers and the fact that Bond was becoming a good earner kept Ian Fleming going but there are moments throughout when Bond reflects on his work, and reading between the lines one wonders if Ian Fleming was hinting at the books coming to an end soon. It's what makes the final full length novel The Man With The Golden Gun a bit odd for me - Bond "dies" in the previous book, returns brainwashed  but not long after his failed attempt at assassinating M he's back in the old routine as if the previous events hadn't happened, and seemingly without the moments when he wonders if he's in the right line of work. Perhaps he had to prove himself to M and had to push such moments aside, but it doesn't quite tally with the image of a man disillusioned with his job. (And it is the novel when Bond uses his sense of "Scottishness" to turn down that bauble of the establishment, a knighthood, one of the few occasions when he makes anything of his ancestral background.)

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

Not wanting to completely derail this thread but I think the strange absence of feelings for the Swiss part of his origin in Bond's inner life can be explained in a very simple way: Fleming was just making up the stuff as he went along. He may have made notes about 007's background, but in the end he always was more interested in driving the story along, not so much in Bond's character. After all, why should he? He knew Bond well enough, the lion's share of Bond was Fleming himself. So I guess up to the moment Fleming wrote YOLT Bond in Fleming's perception actually didn't have parents, at least no Swiss mother.

There is even one other strange example of such an oddity in YOLT, included in the very obituary. It states Bond founded one of the first judo classes back at Fettes. Strangely enough, when the very topic comes up in conversation with Tanaka Bond doesn't mention it, in fact doesn't even come across as very knowledgable on the sport. Where a modest show of his understanding would have undoubtedly gained him great on with Tanaka and improved his chances to settle a deal regarding the Magic 44 operation. It's almost as if the obituary was either written earlier and Fleming forgot about its details. Or he forgot about the dialogue between Bond and Tanaka. Either way it's somewhat strange, a minor slip that could have been easily tidied up.

Perhaps already a sign of his failing health and energy?

Anyway, Fleming apparently had plans to turn Bond into a multi-media venture from early on. I suspect at least from the moment several of his books got optioned he would have avoided being too specific or definite about Bond's death, even if he may have been utterly fed up with the guy and the work he entailed. The cliffhanger ending, the amnesia, the back-to-square-one of TMWTGG, all that provided opportunity for him - or somebody else - to revisit Bond at some later stage. Insofar the series was remarkably modern and consumer-friendly. One could imagine another book after TMWTGG would have allowed even newcomers to Bond to appreciate it without any knowledge of Blofeld, SMERSH or Tracy; ideal for continued success.

Edited by Dustin, 04 September 2014 - 10:24 AM.