26 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Title, cover, trailer, and photo from the big Young Bond "hand over" event at the Hay Festival today:

http://www.thebookbo...-cover-art.html

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Splendid work, zencat! Thanks a lot for the coverage!

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

[Suggests to me we need a Steve Cole area of the forum...]

All very interesting and if this is even halfway close to Higson it'll be special.

Is that a Zeppelin on the cover, behind the leaping lad?

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I should think so, looks like the tail assembly typical for the huge hydrogen airships of the time. Would suggest perhaps the involvement of German spies in the plot in some way...

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the great coverage, zen.

To be honest I find the title a little too generic, even though I understand the Hollywood reference. But in any case, I'm happy Young Bond is back. I'm quite nostalgic about the Higson years, and hope Steve Cole lives up to the legacy.

#6 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Not the greatest title but I do like the cover art. I'm curious to see if the US artwork will be as good as it was during the Higson years.

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

The cover does feel like a tonal shift in comparison to Higson. Still a young boy, but maturing. The next phase of his life beginning. 

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

Very nice cover! I'll give the title the thumbs up too (but only because of the Hollywood reference).

Charlie Higson set a high bar for what would otherwise be a very naff concept, but I'm looking forward to devouring this one in November.

#9 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

Cool looking cover.  Love the black and silver look it has going for it.  Lame title, though. 

#10 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

The book should include Bond getting involved with Thelma Todd, Gloria Vanderbilt, Jean Howard, Gregory Ratoff and Elliott Lewis. ;)

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Shoot to Kill is listed as being 385 pages long.

In comparison:

SilverFin - 352

BloodFever - 368

Double or Die - 400

Hurricane Gold - 384

By Royal Command - 368

Edited by sharpshooter, 16 June 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

Very excited for this one.

Here's hoping it continues the zest from Higson's series and contributes something new.

#13 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

looking forward as well,

#14 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

I like the cover; and while I know the literary & movie Bond are separate, why not take Craig's Bond and make a story about his younger years (taking place in the late 70's to mid 80's). I just think the 1930's have been done enough already IMO

#15 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I added this to my goodreads book list. I want to read it when it comes out.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

Title, cover, trailer, and photo from the big Young Bond "hand over" event at the Hay Festival today:

Thanks for the fantastic coverage. I've been away for a long time (like six or seven years) only dropping by once in awhile.

Anyhow, a month ago I started a new job as a technical writer/business analyst for a company that builds websites for commercial clients. My boss commented that it might be a good idea for me to become knowledgeable about website design so the past month I've been learning Drupal, Wordpress and DNN, starting my own James Bond site as a means of learning by doing.

The reason I mention it is because it was in building my site that I became aware of the new series of Young Bond novels and I am excited to read "Shoot to Kill". I had just got done re-reading Higson's books earlier this year and so I need some new Young Bond material to sink my teeth into :)

#17 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

I'm also looking forward to it.  Higson set quite a high standard, but the interviews from Cole that I've read suggest that he's taking the task seriously and is sincere in wanting to do a good job.

Good to see you!

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

It's good to be back. The last Daniel Craig movie "Skyfall" really re-energized my enthusiasm for James Bond and I uniformly loved all the Higson books. I would love to see IFP tap Higson for an adult 007 book.

#19 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

I should think so, looks like the tail assembly typical for the huge hydrogen airships of the time. Would suggest perhaps the involvement of German spies in the plot in some way...

Interesting idea, Dustin. I'd be great to see German spies plot in "Shoot to Kill". But maybe Zeppelin on the cover suggests that part of the story would take place on its board? Maybe something goes wrong while Bond is on his way to USA, traveling by airship (wasn't Hindenburg used to operate across the Atlantic back then)? 

Anyway, I look forward to reading this novel. Being 'a little bit' older than prime target of the Young Bond series, I must admit that I was amazed by Higson's work. Didn't expect them to be that good. I couldn't imagine them being that good (so much for not judging a book by its cover). 

I agree with DLibrasnow, Higson deserved to be offered an opportunity to write adoult 007 books. Definitely better idea than this whole one novel-one author nonsense.

#20 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

The YB site has updated with new games, and a cartoon of Bond's appearance. He's decked out in a tuxedo.

http://www.youngbond.../shoot-to-kill/

There's this excerpt, too:

It’s 1934. Thrown out of Eton, young James Bond must briefly attend Dartington Hall, a progressive school in Devon. Here he makes new friends and enemies before leaving the UK for a most extraordinary field trip by zeppelin to Hollywood, Los Angeles… where deadly challenges await.

“James swung himself over the ledge, caught hold of the drainpipe and shinned down it,dropping the last six feet. He landed lightly with a crunch of gravel, then ran for the cover of the nearest building, more engaged than afraid: challenge, fight and flight, and he had barely been in this stupid school five minutes!”

#21 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

I look forward to reading it. Hopefully Steve Cole's work will turn out to be as good as Higson's (I haven't read any of his novels, so I can't say whether he's a good writer or not).

Off-topic: don't you think it's time to start Anthony Horowitz subforum?

#22 Marcin

Marcin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

Okay, order has been placed. 

#23 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

I completely forgot about this. Has anyone read it? And is it odd that there's no US release date?

#24 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

I have ordered a paperback edition of the book, and it's in the process of being shipped. 

#25 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

I did pre-order it and then though a fault I got canceled, they were willing to give me a €2,50 discount when I would re-order it but as the novel was close to €7,00 cheaper on pre-order they actually shafted me. Sometimes those online stores play a mean game, I will now buy it in a regular bookstore as all the profit has gone out it and in that case I prefer keeping realtime bookstores afloat.

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

I have the book, and I'm up to Bond boarding the Zeppelin on his way to Los Angeles. I'm really enjoying it, and if I had to compare it to another Young Bond book so far it would probably be Double or Die. Cole has kept he tension and intrigue up so far across the chapters, and I look forward to reading more.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

Paperback cover art is here. Released date Oct 29, 2015.