21 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

I've noticed a lot lately, with the discussion of Brosnan's era in particular, a number of fans expressing their favored Bond as the one they first saw or who brought them to the series. They're often determined to defend their choice on that basis and don't always understand or accept the criticisms/views of other fans. And I've seen theories on forums where the thinking is your first Bond actor is your preferred or sentimental choice.

While I don't subscribe to that, I'd like to hear from all sides their views on this.

For instance, it's still common to see Connery labeled as the king. In reading a lot older reviewers, they will always favor Connery no matter what. Critic Roger Ebert, for example, called Craig "bloody damned good" but said he basically gave up on anybody ever topping Connery, while his late reviewing partner Gene Siskel was even more rigid in his Connery views. While a classic never really goes out of style, is this rigid or fair?

As far as Brosnan goes, he helped revive the series and along with the extra exposure from the GE game, so that's understandable in his popularity. Countless reviewers, writers and fans anointed him the best Bond since Connery. But with Craig's acceptance, there's been reevaluation and defense of Brosnan and his era, leading to a lot of stimulating discussion.

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

IMO, there is no best Bond actor.  Every actor contributed something different.  The character offers the remarkable opportunity to interpret it in many different ways while sticking to a few unchangeable traits.  

And there hasn´t been one actor (so far) to fail in this role.  Even Lazenby did well enough, for my mind.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 23 April 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I don't really subscribe to the whole notion that your first Bond is "your" Bond at all. The first Bond film I was old enough to see in theaters was GoldenEye, making Brosnan my first Bond and the one that brought me to the series, but I certainly wouldn't consider him "my" Bond. That distinction would belong to Dalton.

The notion that Connery is untouchable and will never be surpassed by anyone is an idea that the media really needs to get over. If we're going by the entire body of work, then I'd say that Connery has been bested twice (Dalton & Craig), although that argument gets much more competitive if we limited the discussion to early Connery (i.e. DN & FRWL).

#4 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yeah they're all good in their own way its just some of the movies were not good. I grew up watching a cavalcade of all of em on tape.

#5 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

The notion that Connery is untouchable and will never be surpassed by anyone is an idea that the media really needs to get over. If we're going by the entire body of work, then I'd say that Connery has been bested twice (Dalton & Craig), although that argument gets much more competitive if we limited the discussion to early Connery (i.e. DN & FRWL).

I agree with this. And one more thing, one common misconception is that Connery is the true transposition of Fleming's Bond.

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

I agree with tdalton. Your first Bond isn't necessarily "your" Bond. On that basis my favourite Bond should be George Lazenby.  He did a good job in difficult circumstances, but I don't judge Bond films before or after on the basis of how they measure up against "OHMSS".

The Connery/Lazenby films were the first to make an impression on me, not one actor in the role. Between 1970 and 1972 I caught up with all of them, and I think that - subconsciously? - I've judged everything else since then on the basis of that group of films. I've gone to the cinema wanting that "kick" I got from watching the first seven official Bonds. Some movies since then measured up, some didn't. I dare say anyone who started watching Bond post Connery/Lazenby  would feel the same way about their Bond "era", and so might feel disappointed watching what went before or after, or would be pleased when earlier movies, or later ones, matched their expectations.

#7 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

I agree with this. And one more thing, one common misconception is that Connery is the true transposition of Fleming's Bond.

Agreed, although I do think that Connery came pretty close in his first two films, just as Dalton did in his two.  I don't think that any of them have completely nailed the literary character, but early Connery and Dalton came very close on occasion.

#8 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

A wise poster on aintitcool once noted to the casting hubbub of the past decade "Ladies and gentlemen, a plank of wood can play Bond, it's the screenwriters/directors we have to worry about." :D

#9 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't really think there is any real yardstick to judge things by. Brosnan is my man because Goldeneye was the first one I saw in a cinema and it really made a slow burning impression. Of course I was aware of the movie series and had seen pretty much all of the previous films on TV or Home Video or whatever - but Brosnan captured my imagination in a way that no other actor in the part did. Even Connery. 

Plus Goldeneye was such a big deal when it came out (a combination of it being the first one for a few years and being Brosnan's first) that it was all absolutely EVERYWHERE. Brosnan was on all the big chat shows, his face was on every poster at the bus stops - I just remember Christmas 1995 as being all about this new Bond and this new film. Tina Turner song on the radio all the time... 

I was 17 back then and that was an important age for me and a lot of things happened to me at that age that I will never forget (I could write a book about it. Honestly). The memory of all that is like a cozy warm blanket and is fun to go back to in my head. It's also a big reason of why I now associate Bond so much with Christmas.

However. All this is just my personal experience. 

My Mum would say Connery is her Bond because he was the first and she's old enough to remember it. My older brother would say Moore is his Bond because as a kid he was obsessed with The Spy Who Loved Me. I've not spoken to him for a couple of years but I still bet if you get him started on that Lotus Espirit... that was like, his dream car. 

My wife would say Moore is her Bond only for the simple reason she finds him to be a bit of a dish! 

A good friend of mine who is also a Bond nut (but prefers a different forum to this sadly) is just a complete On Her Majesty's Secret Service obsessive. For him it is all about that movie. He will tell you Lazenby is the best which is seen as a controversial opinion by many - but Lazenby is his Bond for reasons completely different to why Brosnan is mine. 

I think it's just a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. 

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

A wise poster on aintitcool once noted to the casting hubbub of the past decade "Ladies and gentlemen, a plank of wood can play Bond, it's the screenwriters/directors we have to worry about." :D

:blush:

#11 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Moore was my first but Connery is my favourite.

Connery basically defined the cinematic Bond making the ultimate point of comparison.

You can consider Dalton and Craig to be best actors (generally speaking, I think that Dalton is and it is for me an open debate for Craig) and they are "better" than Connery when they take the character where Connery's Bond does not go : the inner-rage of Dalton or the maverick side of Craig, but when it comes to throw a one-liner, to order a vodka-martini or just to walk... No way, it's Connery. Nobody does it better...

#12 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

The best Bond should always be whoever we have now. It never bodes well for the most recent ex Bond, but time is a friend of Bond and the Bond films.

#13 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

The best Bond should always be whoever we have now. It never bodes well for the most recent ex Bond, but time is a friend of Bond and the Bond films.

Never a truer word from Bullets!

The best Bond is always whoever we have now - that is the secret to the series survival. If say, Sir Rog '77-'83 was regarded as the greatest Bond era ever, then the series would have fizzled and burned within 5 years, but it is the series ability to evolve and re-define itself that is the secret to its success.

There is something to the, ultimately lazy, assessment that SC is the best etc - merely because being the first had so much to do with setting the cinematic parameters for the character. And that's fine for the critics, general public etc. If their "best" is now 40+ years ago in the past, then it means that recent iterations of Bond are not vying with each other - that would be bad for the series longevity.

As a fan, I personally tend to have an affection for my first film, rather than my first Bond. LALD isn't the greatest in the series, but as my first, it's one I'm always attached to.

#14 SirCliff

SirCliff

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

Although it is easier for connery as he was first many people have him locked in as Bond. But this doesn't do justice to how brilliant connery was. During the early movies especially, Dr no to thunderball, he was the epitome of cool.

I also don't go for this idea that your first bond is the one you stick with. My first was tomorrow never dies and i do have some nostalgia for it as that very day my brother had brought Goldeneye on the N64 and my dad joked I would become a Bond fan. However Brosnan is certainly not my Bond.

I love every actor for different reasons my favourite is Moore and least is Lazenby.

#15 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

I have to agree with what SecretAgentFan said there truly is no best Bond they all are completely different the only real Bond is the one in Ian Fleming's novels the rest are just portrayals of that character. But of course those people that are born with these actors during their time are surely going to defend and not take criticism. It happens and it's not a bad thing. I like Brosnan and he will always have a special place in my heart at times it's hard to say he's my favorite because Daniel is really great as well and Connery is just a classic and has one of the best facial expressions on them all and etc. But every one of them are unique in their own way. It's best to understand why people like the different actors than debate who is the best.

#16 Sir Roger Moore

Sir Roger Moore

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

My first Bond was Moore and my favourite Bond is Moore but I agree that it doesn't always follow that pattern. It just so happens that, for me, Moore's Bond captured the things that I loved about, and later always associated with, the character's personality. The wit, charm, humour and strength that Moore exuded. Not strength in a macho 'look at the size of his muscles and his six pack' sense, but quiet strength, a strength both mental and physical that lay just under the surface but could be displayed at a moments notice. He did so much for the Bond series but, for some people at least, will always be remembered as a sex mad comedian in the role. A great shame.

#17 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

IMO, there is no best Bond actor.  Every actor contributed something different.  The character offers the remarkable opportunity to interpret it in many different ways while sticking to a few unchangeable traits.  

And there hasn´t been one actor (so far) to fail in this role.  Even Lazenby did well enough, for my mind.

I definitely 100% agree. I may not like certain Bond actors, but each Bond brought something new and I still admire each and every single one. 

#18 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:52 AM

I definitely 100% agree. I may not like certain Bond actors, but each Bond brought something new and I still admire each and every single one. 

Agreed. I find humour important, bit generally side with the predatory, assassin side of Connery, Craig and Dalton. 

#19 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

I don't think any of the Bonds have been. Even Lazenby and the Broz were adequate, with moments where they showed potential to be great Bonds.

#20 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Brosnan introduced me to the series when I was around 9 or 10 years old with GoldenEye, and for a long time I was sure he couldn't be topped. Honestly though, I'm not sure I have a definitive "favorite" Bond. They all bring something unique to the role and all of them have great films and shall we say...weaker films. For example, with the exception of Lazenby for obvious reasons, I find the last film of each previous Bond actor in particular to be weaker films in the series.

Moore's films (with the exception of AVTAK...it's that hard to watch) in particular are always a favorite of mine to watch on a day off. Wake up with some coffee, throw up my feet, and turn on some Bond/be glad I'm not at work. I admit Brosnan is the default image I think of when someone mentions "Bond," even though I love Daniel Craig in the role.

#21 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

My first Bond actor was Roger Moore and he is fabulous then I saw Sean Connery in his first three movies and his performance has never been matched yet. Lazenby, the stupid plonker, made one movie that easily stands up to quite a few installments of recent times, and makes it look easy.

Dalton never had a chance with his version following the great Roger Moore and then being shut down by legal procedings and an US studio not willing to go forward with this actor due to his impopularity.

Brosnan got the job of making 007 relevant again, but he proved that 007 was missed and his return more than welcome. and it has to be said that the studios and EON seemed to take as litlle risk as possible with any of the 007 movies in the Brosnan era. Sacking him might have been done far more gracefull imho.

DC has with CR given his best so far, even if the ending with the sinking house reeks again of sensationalism of the previous movies that could have easily been solved in a more acting style than actionstyle and thus making CR a different direction. That said QoB was a direct response to the very popular Bourne movies but only they did it better and more original and we ended up with a schizofrenic movie. SF has a great opening and then becomes mood and style over content, Mendes certainly knows how to make art but as a spy/actioner he seems to be hellbent to make the series a poor reflection of whtat hey were before.

The last two Mission Impossible movies showed how getting personal and delivering an exciting spy-actioner is done. As it is I am more excited about the next MI movie than Mendes 007 movie.

#22 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I enjoy both Bond and MI, it's a great time to be a spy fan. Now I prefer both focus on the missions and not so much the personal. Or at least don't let the personal overwhelm the rest.