#1 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hi all,

I'd like to get my hands on a good orchestral album of Bond themes. So far, from what I've been able to find here and there, it seems The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra is the best one around. 2 albums seem great in that respect: The Essential James Bond, and The Gold Edition.

So, my questions are: do you know of any other orchestral album of Bond themes? Are these 2 from the Prague orchestra really that good? Which of those 2 would you advise me to get?

Thanks for your help/opinions. :)

#2 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

If you want instrumental versions of the title songs, the previews on this album sound more solid than most I've heard (being as there is an awful lot of cash-in tat):

http://www.amazon.co...bond carl davis

Personally I'd just buy the following expanded scores: OHMSS, TLD, DAF and YOLT! ;)

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Among my collection I have 007 Classics by the Las Vegas International Philharmonic. This one goes up to Die Another Day, and is quite good - even their arrangement of DAD.

An older one worth having - if you can find it - is the Roland Shaw Orchestra double album that only goes up to DAF, but contains other themes such as the Saint, the Avengers and the Ipcress File.

Franck Pourcell's album goes up to LALD with a lot of variation in the arrangements. If you like your orchestral music to sound just like the originals, this one will take some getting used to. If, however, you are interested in what another arranger can do, you will appreciate this effort no end.

I also have several with different orchestra names on them: the Nicky North Orchestra (to FYEO), the Cinema Sound Stage Orchestra (to FYEO), the London Pops Orchestra (to TLD),  the Starshine Orchestra and Singers (to LTK) and one with no orchestra name (to GoldenEye) - but beware: they are all the same recordings. Not just the same arrangements, but the same recordings (TMWTGG, performed to a different tune, is the same on all of them). I have no idea to whom these recording can be originally attributed, but any one would be enough.

As for the Prague Philharmonic, they are quite accurate, but most (though not all) of the previously unreleased tracks are - as Satorious points out - now available on the expanded re-releases of the original soundtracks.

#4 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

I never understand why people buy and listen to not original versions, if you just can buy the original albums.

I will never buy and listen to those so-called fake albums.

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

#6 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

If you want instrumental versions of the title songs, the previews on this album sound more solid than most I've heard (being as there is an awful lot of cash-in tat):

http://www.amazon.co...bond carl davis

Personally I'd just buy the following expanded scores: OHMSS, TLD, DAF and YOLT! ;)

Among my collection I have 007 Classics by the Las Vegas International Philharmonic. This one goes up to Die Another Day, and is quite good - even their arrangement of DAD.

An older one worth having - if you can find it - is the Roland Shaw Orchestra double album that only goes up to DAF, but contains other themes such as the Saint, the Avengers and the Ipcress File.

Franck Pourcell's album goes up to LALD with a lot of variation in the arrangements. If you like your orchestral music to sound just like the originals, this one will take some getting used to. If, however, you are interested in what another arranger can do, you will appreciate this effort no end.

I also have several with different orchestra names on them: the Nicky North Orchestra (to FYEO), the Cinema Sound Stage Orchestra (to FYEO), the London Pops Orchestra (to TLD),  the Starshine Orchestra and Singers (to LTK) and one with no orchestra name (to GoldenEye) - but beware: they are all the same recordings. Not just the same arrangements, but the same recordings (TMWTGG, performed to a different tune, is the same on all of them). I have no idea to whom these recording can be originally attributed, but any one would be enough.

As for the Prague Philharmonic, they are quite accurate, but most (though not all) of the previously unreleased tracks are - as Satorious points out - now available on the expanded re-releases of the original soundtracks.

Thanks for the intel, guys. I'll definitely look into it.

I never understand why people buy and listen to not original versions, if you just can buy the original albums.

I will never buy and listen to those so-called fake albums.

Well, I find it quite interesting to get alternate versions of the songs we know (like the A/C version of Goldeneye, for instance). It gives another feel to a well-known song; whether more jazzy, more symphonic, or whatever.

#7 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Try 'Shaken and Stirred: the David Arnold James Bond Project', which features Bond themes songs performed by the likes of Chrissie Hynde,  Iggy Pop, Pulp and Propellerheads.

Definitely different, and definitely not 'fake.'

#8 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Try 'Shaken and Stirred: the David Arnold James Bond Project', which features Bond themes songs performed by the likes of Chrissie Hynde,  Iggy Pop, Pulp and Propellerheads.

I especially recommend On Her Majesty's Secret Service (both the full 9 minutes version and the orchapella version) and Iggy Pop's WHATTITW if, like me, you're addicted to OHMSS soundtrack.

Edited by Walecs, 29 April 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#9 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yep, this one is also on my to-do list ;)

#10 Leo R.

Leo R.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

When it comes to cover albums, I especially enjoy this one:

However, if you're OHMSS-addicted, nothing even comes close to the original soundtrack.

#11 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

When it comes to cover albums, I especially enjoy this one:

Wow! Didn't know about this one. Sounds great.

#12 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

I didn't know this one either, thanks for posting.

I was always rather partial to easy-listening Geoff Love's "Big Bond Movie themes" but this might could be because it was the first ever Bond album I could actually afford as a kid and I probably drove my parents around the wall playing it non-stop in the 80s! Always found his OHMSS rendition respectful but still groovy - switching the moog for an electric guitar: https://www.youtube....h?v=oERRDT87y4U

Interestingly he did two orchestrations of Diamonds are Forever and it looks like you can now everything remastered all on one CD here: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0067K9BRK

#13 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think "Shaken and Stirred" is an awfull album. None of the versions are as good as the originals. So what is the point of it? I played it once and than hided somewhere deepdown in my cd/dvd closet.

The only possitive thing is that Arnold got the TND job out of it.