Fleming in Japan '62

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jace

Jace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

Ian Fleming visited Japan in 1962 to research YOLT. We know something about the trip through Richard Hughes' account, but many specific details are missing. I found a photograph recently (unknown to me) that tells us something about where Fleming went and about the 'local color' he picked up. I've traveled to the same site, called "Mt Demon Hell", and provide some background and a map of his journey on my Spy Vibe site here:

http://spyvibe.blogs...demon-hell.html

Best,

-Jason 

#2 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

this is awesome

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Very nice indeed, Jace.  Somewhere out there, there's a photo of Fleming taken in the course of this trip, wearing traditional Japanese attire.  It's something I would never have expected to see.

#4 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Really interesting. Thanks for the information.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Excellent - interesting blog, too.

#6 Jace

Jace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the kind words for Spy Vibe! I often post about Ian Fleming and need to announce articles here on the forum more often. I'd love to see the photo you mention of Fleming in Japanese clothes. I have a dim memory of seeing it somewhere… Let me know if you track it down :)

Best,

-Jason 

SPY VIBE

#7 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words for Spy Vibe! I often post about Ian Fleming and need to announce articles here on the forum more often. I'd love to see the photo you mention of Fleming in Japanese clothes. I have a dim memory of seeing it somewhere… Let me know if you track it down :)

What is in the Ivar Bryce book? Seem to recall there were editorial differences between the two editions. Or perhaps it was in the Richard Hughes book...

#8 Jace

Jace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

The original Ivar Bryce book came out in 1975. I have the revised edition from 1984. i haven't compared the two side by side, but i think material was taken out at the request of the fleming estate (?). I believe the original was 168 pages vs 142 pages revised.