This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ideal Bond Directors - POLL ADDED

612 replies to this topic

Poll: The 'ideal' director for Bond 2X

First of all: would you welcome Sam Mendes for BOND 25 - provided the Fed can print enough cash to lure him back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If not Mendes, which new director would you like for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Here are some directors I'd like to see do Bond:

Adrian Lyne (Fatal Attraction, Flashdance)

Sidney J, Furie (The Entity, Superman IV)

Brian De Palma (Scarface, The Untouchables) 

Paul Verhoeven (Basic Instinct) 

Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf, Silent Hill) 

So, what do you guys think? And yes, I know most of these guys are known for thriller/art films, but that's something I'd like to see be done with Bond one of these days, so... Let me know what you think? Hope to hear from you guys! ^^

Zach.

#2 Shamelord

Shamelord

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Paul Verhoeven - a great European director and a daring choice. His name and Daniel Craig's on the poster could mean something awesome.

Edited by Shamelord, 24 January 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#3 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

Paul Verhoeven - a great European director and a daring choice. His name and Daniel Craig's on the poster could mean something awesome.

Yep, Verhoeven would be a very interesting choice.

#4 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

How about DePalma~? XD

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Problem with interesting, idiosyncratic directors:  they would want to do their own film, regardless of the elements that make Bond films successful with the always needed world wide audience.

Sure, Verhoeven did have success with some of his films - but the interesting thing about him is his shameless, extreme and anarchic style.  Wouldn´t mesh well with Bond, I think.

And DePalma reined himself in with the first "Mission Impossible" and "The Untouchables" - but mainstream action is not what he really loves to do.  And too much blood and sex don´t fit in with Bond either.

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Problem with interesting, idiosyncratic directors:  they would want to do their own film, regardless of the elements that make Bond films successful with the always needed world wide audience.

I'm not sure that would necessarily be a bad thing for the franchise, although I think EON would have to get a good idea about where the director would take the film before actually bringing them on board to attempt such a departure from the norm.  I'd love to see EON allow someone to really shake up the formula, even if it's just for a one-off film, if for no other reason than to freshen things up a bit and to see what might actually happen with such a project. 

As for directors I'd like to see, David Fincher still tops my list.  I'd love to see either him, Ben Affleck, or Michael Mann get a shot at a Bond film, knowing full well, however, that none of them will ever get the call, unfortunately.

#7 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I agree - it would be very interesting to see that kind of unconventional Bond film.

But - like you - I doubt that EON or SONY want to gamble with that thought right now.  

Although "Skyfall"´s massive commercial success and Craig´s established tenure could stand a potential commercial dip, it would go against studio policy to risk anything.

Maybe, at some point down the line, when B.O. returns dwindle again they could be persuaded to try something as bold.

#8 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Justin Lin. I thought he did an incredible job on the Fast & Furious films (especially the latter two). He's now doing the next Bourne film. 

Before anyone scoffs at the Fast & Furious connection, Lin really elevated the material to something better than it should have been. During his tenure on that franchise he turned them from car chase B-movies into major heist films. He got good performances from Vin Diesel and Paul Walker.

I think him doing a Bond film has the potential to be something very special. When Mendes decides that his time is up - I think Justin Lin is the logical choice. 

#9 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Justin Lin. I thought he did an incredible job on the Fast & Furious films (especially the latter two). He's now doing the next Bourne film. 

Before anyone scoffs at the Fast & Furious connection, Lin really elevated the material to something better than it should have been. During his tenure on that franchise he turned them from car chase B-movies into major heist films. He got good performances from Vin Diesel and Paul Walker.

I think him doing a Bond film has the potential to be something very special. When Mendes decides that his time is up - I think Justin Lin is the logical choice. 

IMO the F&F movies are not a good showreel to get the Bond job - especially now that the dramatic bar is set so high in Bond.

Of course the Bourne movie is his golden chance to prove that he can direct more than car chases and i'd be happy to see him do so, but until then i'd like him at a safe distance from Bond.

I agree - it would be very interesting to see that kind of unconventional Bond film.

But - like you - I doubt that EON or SONY want to gamble with that thought right now.  

Although "Skyfall"´s massive commercial success and Craig´s established tenure could stand a potential commercial dip, it would go against studio policy to risk anything.

Maybe, at some point down the line, when B.O. returns dwindle again they could be persuaded to try something as bold.

Yep, i agree that Verhoeven is a highly unlikely choice for the producers at this point. But he would, i think, make a great Bond movie. His Hitchcockian Basic Instinct had a similar mixture of thrills and sexual tension to that provided by Fleming. If he's on form he could knock it out of the park. But indeed won't get the chance.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 25 January 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#10 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

For various reasons - I'd go with: Gareth Edwards, Duncan Jones or David Fincher.

A Paul Verhoeven Bond would be crazy (and probably very interesting - love to see him direct again soon)! (side note - Hollywood please stop insulting us all by remaking inferior PG-13 versions of his work).

#11 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

IMO the F&F movies are not a good showreel to get the Bond job - especially now that the dramatic bar is set so high in Bond.

Agreed.  For the most part, Lin's entries in the Fast & Furious franchise are well below par.  Yes, they've made a lot of money, none of them have been particularly good films.  There are far better choices for Bond out there, especially now that they're attracting Oscar-level talent, both in front of and behind the camera.  

#12 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Of course the Bourne movie is his golden chance to prove that he can direct more than car chases and i'd be happy to see him do so, but until then i'd like him at a safe distance from Bond.

Dude... he proved with the actual Fast & Furious movies there is more to him than just car chases! Fast & Furious 5 and Fast & Furious 6 turned the movie series into a globe trotting heist affair. Exotic locations, excellent action sequences - and he injects a surprising amount of emotional depth into the characters. It's particularly the latter two that I feel establish his credentials for the job. He's a logical choice. 

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Roger Donaldson.

#14 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

Should this be in the Bond 25 & Beyond section of the forums?

Back to topic, does anyone else get the feeling, that when Craig steps down, the producers will try to get a big name director and sign him (or her) to a three-picture deal, i.e. someone like Christopher Nolan?  Not saying I'm for it or against it, just a feeling that, if the success keeps up with Craig/Mendes, the producers will want to try to usher in a new era with similar promise.

On a side note, I'm not sure why but I have a feeling that someone Neill Blomkamp, Matthew Vaughn, or Martin McDonagh might be sought out.

Dave

#15 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Justin Lin - isn't he supposed to be directing the next Bourne movie? Best keep him away from Bond because the last thing we need is all those "Bond following Bourne" arguments again.

#16 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN. 

Beware of the anti-Nolan paratroopers preparing to dive in. I liked generally all his films and I'm not or wouldn't be worried that he would simply cast his usual actors in a Bond film. He is still in his 40's so perhaps in another tens years are so. I'm looking forward to INTERSTELLAR and to see what other projects he'll do. 

#17 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN. 

Beware of the anti-Nolan paratroopers preparing to dive in. I liked generally all his films and I'm not or wouldn't be worried that he would simply cast his usual actors in a Bond film. He is still in his 40's so perhaps in another tens years are so. I'm looking forward to INTERSTELLAR and to see what other projects he'll do. 

This.

I'd guess the meetings have already taken place and it's a done deal just waiting for schedules to make room.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 29 January 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#18 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

I must say, I'm always slightly mystified for the amount of Nolan-hate that seems to be out there. He's on the record as being a Bond fan, he understands plotting and story, he's got a track record of both "small" films and blockbusters - I think he'd be a great choice for Bond.

As to the original list of directors - as attractive a prospect as each of these guys might have been once, IMHO their best days are all waaay behind them. Verhoeven maybe, but the rest? 

#19 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

I don't think it would interest Verhoeven. He has no interest in doing PG-13/12A movies. Broccoli and Wilson wouldn't "let him off the leash" so to speak. 

#20 zantle97

zantle97

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

So in my previous thread, I mentioned some directors who I'd like to see in Bond films...

My top choices are:

Brian DePalma

Paul Verhoeven

And Adrian Lyne

This trio are know for their highly stylized horror, thriller, erotic, and action films, so, which of these gods of cinema deserves the keys to our favorite agent?

Hope to get some interesting input,  

Zach. ^^

#21 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the consensus so far seems to be that none of them are of interest as Bond directors, with the exception of Verhoeven - who'd be a good choice if they were ever to make an 18 rated Bond, which of course will never happen.

FYI, there's an old, but good thread on potential Bond directors here:

Who Should Direct Bond 23? - Page 18 - Skyfall (2012) - CBn Forums

And from another thread here's a link to an article about a short list for Bond 24 (published before Mendes did an about turn and said he'd do it):

http://www.cinemable...d-24-37769.html

The name on that list who'd really interest me is Shane Black - he wrote some of the best action movies of all time (including Lethal Weapon) and in particular writes by far the best dialogue in Hollywood (even better than Tarantino) and considering he's achieved that in the action genre it's no mean feat.

Now he's established himself as a leading Writer/Director first with the highly under-seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - London Critics Best Screenwriter of the Year award - and last years biggest grossing movie Iron Man 3 (which is, IMO, the first time ever that a 'three-quel' was better than the 2 preceding movies).

Obviously, calling his movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang certainly suggests he may well be a Bond fan.

He can do box office gold action sequences and he's one the only writers capable of dialogue even better than the marvellous work Logan  has done, so i'd give him the gig in a heartbeat. For me he's a tie for it with Nolan.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 04 February 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Furie is in his eighties! Apart from that if you look at his recent filmography - and I don't advise that - it's enough to scare the horses.

#23 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I  would like a director who goes back to the spirit  with which the first few Bond films were directed.  Call me old fashioned, there was some grit there then in the direction-Terence Young, and certainly Peter Hunt in OHMSS who is often underrated like the film and the Bond character there.

#24 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Stuart Baird.

#25 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Stuart Baird.

While Baird is a highly accomplished Editor, he's yet to really prove himself in the Director's chair. His 3 efforts so far have been workman like at best, lacklustre throughout, despite them having good budgets, good to great writers and some of the best actors on board.

I'd certainly be happy for Baird to find his feet as a Director, but until that happens he's not even close to the pedigree that Bond is currently attracting (and i'm sure he'd be the first to agree.

I have much respect for Baird; it's only really Directors that appreciate just how much of the film is really made in the edit - this role is IMO on equal standing with that of the Director and it's criminal how little kudos it receives come awards time, often inserted into the end credits. If you think that's not true then try telling an award winning Director that they can't have the Editor they want.

Story telling in the round; pace, emphasis, nuance and even the actors performances are all defined in the edit, by the Editor (not by an overbearing Director, or worse still Producer - that's usually when it goes wrong).

So what i'm saying is that i mean no disrespect to Baird the Editor (i'm one myself), good one's are thin on the ground. But Baird the Bond Director - not yet.

#26 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Looks like the time of the seasoned pro as director is over, for now.  

I wouldn´t mind Baird since he knows how to edit a Bond film.  But I guess the press would have a field day pointing out why the film could only be routine and not inspired.

But, again, everything´s cyclical.  The high profile director and critic´s darling as Bond helmer will, at some point, yesterday´s idea.  Probably when the next Bond directed by such an esteemed guy will flop.

#27 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Looks like the time of the seasoned pro as director is over, for now.  

I wouldn´t mind Baird since he knows how to edit a Bond film.  But I guess the press would have a field day pointing out why the film could only be routine and not inspired.

But, again, everything´s cyclical.  The high profile director and critic´s darling as Bond helmer will, at some point, yesterday´s idea.  Probably when the next Bond directed by such an esteemed guy will flop.

You're right, of course. I think i was a little hard on Baird as a Director, yesterday. His movies are far from bad and to achieve that, whilst being such a prolific editor is a mark of his all round talent. I still don't think he's proven that he's as good a choice as Mendes, Nolan or some of the other directors link in various ways, but i'm sure if he gets more directing gigs he'll improve his resume further.

#28 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

You were perfectly fair in your assessment of Baird as a director yesterday.  There's nothing on Baird's resume to suggest that he's the right man for the director's job on a Bond film, especially given the direction that they're currently going with the direction in terms of the type of talent that they are able to attract both in front of and behind the camera.  

#29 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Baird won an Oscar for SF didn't he? He split it with a co-editior and then they shared the Oscar with another film if memory servers me correct.

I would think EON likes him right where he is and the times of handing over the directors chair to editors is over IMO.

#30 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Baird wasn't nominated for Skyfall

Skyfall's nominations were:

-Cinematography - Roger Deakins

-Song - Adele

-Original Score - Thomas Newman

-Sound Editing - Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers)

-Sound Mixing - Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Stuart Wilson