Metal Gear V Connection With Bond.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

So I'm not sure if most people here are a fan of the Metal Gear series but I just lately I discovered something I found quite interesting that I'm not sure most people touched upon. As most of you already know Hideo Kojima the MGS creator is a huge fan of films with 007 being on of those films. Upon the marketing on Metal Gear Solid V Kojima played games with fans on a disguise dressed as a man with bandages over the head and across the nose. There has been speculation that the new character for MGSV seems to be a body double or this topic will be touched upon. Just today after watching Thunderball I realized there is a man in the film bandaged exactly how Mr.Kojima and his character Ishmael was bandaged for the marketing. Not to mention the character was used as a body double and scene takes play in a hospital as well. I'm sure most Bond fans can recall this scene of the bandage man along with that Bond is told that the man suffered a car accident exactly like in The Phantom's Pain trailer? So what do you guys think?

#2 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Could be an homage. It wouldn't be the first time that Kojima included massive references to Bond. MGS3 itself basically feels like a lost Bond movie from the 60s. Not to mention, the seiko watch seen in the 9 minute MGSV trailer is exactly like Moore's watch from Octopussy.

#3 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

Agreed. MGS3 intro was built from the influence of Bond films. If you haven't noticed on youtube there is a vast majority of video covering Conspiracy on there being a Body Double included in the game. Most preferably PythonSelkan had about 3 videos covering this conspiracy. If you do have the time I suggest checking it out if you already haven't. I found it really interesting to have made this discovery that no one seems to have mentioned yet. The man was bandaged exactly the same. I'm sure this is just a influence but I found it shocking considering the marketing for Phantoms Pain is almost like a puzzle. I'm not sure if people didn't want to address Thunderball or just wasn't aware but does this open up the possibility that Punished Snake can truly be someone else? It's quite vague at the moment hopefully the release of Ground Zero will help us put the pieces together.

#4 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

I will say that I don't think Punished Snake is someone else. The Phantom Pain is the final nail in the coffin in Big Boss' transformation from hero to villain. I wouldn't doubt there being a body double though, you never know with Kojima. However, I would say that, at the very least, Punished Snake very much is Big Boss. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Eli was actually Liquid and that a very young Solid Snake were to make an appearance in MGSV as well.