The end of the DB5..?

25 replies to this topic

#1 johan

johan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

In Skyfall Silva destroys the DB5 completely, will this be the end of Bond's famous Aston Martin DB5?

I think i can not be restored anymore, there's so much damage. Or Bond had to buy a new one :P

What do you think?

SKYFALL_MPC_VFX_03A.jpg

1wZuu.jpg

#2 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

I have a funny feeling that the DB5 will make a return someday, even if it is after Craig's tenure. 

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

He could always have his other one shipped in from Nassau...

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Let's give the DB5 a rest for a while. In fact, let's go a film or two without a gadget-rigged car or even one shoehorned in because of a marketing deal.

#5 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

I believe this is already a thread somewhere.

It becomes harder and harder to put a modern secret agent in a 50 year old car IMO. I don't think we'll see it ever again unless Bond comes across some kind of car museum while on a mission. Perhaps on the 75th Anniversary.

The DBS is probably more likely. 

#6 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

considering how they ignore continuity at times, it could show up in the next movie with no explanation!

#7 johan

johan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

@SKYFALL 50year old or not, it's just a timeless car.

@FlemingBond True.

I think Bond keeps the DB5 as his own car for some timeless moments.

And as company car the new Aston Martin Vanquish, 

2012-Aston-Martin-Vanquish-8.jpg

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

God, that is beautiful.

#9 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

The DB5 is timeless, I just don't see him taking it out on any missions.

I'd like to see Craig's Bond finish his films with the DBS, Bond 7 use a Lotus and Bond 8 use a BMW. Go full circle so to speak but I understand that isn't how these think$ work.

#10 RedsBaron

RedsBaron

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

James Bond driving an Aston Martin, of any vintage, is a tradition that defies the logic of a "secret agent" and a government employee, but a tradition that is part of the essence of the character. It makes little sense for His Majesty's government to oufit 007 in such an expensive and easily noticed vehicle, but so be it.  

It arguably makes a bit more sense for Bond to have a personal DB5 than it does for his employer to furnish him with a new Aston. In Brosnan's films, while he drove a DB5 in GE and TND, they appeared to be his personal vehicle, not the car Q would outfit him with. In Craig's films, CR gave us an explanation as to how government employee Bond could afford such a car, with Bond winning it gambling, and Skyfall established that Bond came from wealth.

A 50 year old car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars makes no sense at all as a car furnished to Bond by Q Branch but I think it is easy for the films to continue to feature the DB5 as Bond's personal car. I expect and hope this is the course the films take.

As for a new Vanquish, I care not for logic---have Q Branch give Bond one!

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

I love the DB5, I really do. But I would definitely prefer to see a modern vehicle in Bond 24. That new Vanquish posted up there is very nice. 

#12 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

The DB5 belongs to the J.B. movies like the vodka martini and somehow they will find a way to get it back in one of the next movies. You can count on it!

Edited by Grard Bond, 09 February 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#13 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hopefully the series is done with the DB5.  It's had its time in the sun and it's now time to move on and put Bond in a new car, maybe even a new brand of one as well.

#14 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

James Bond driving an Aston Martin, of any vintage, is a tradition that defies the logic of a "secret agent" and a government employee, but a tradition that is part of the essence of the character. It makes little sense for His Majesty's government to oufit 007 in such an expensive and easily noticed vehicle, but so be it.  

A good point. The explanation is in the original novel:

The car was from the pool. Bond had been offered the Aston Martin or a Jaguar 3.4. He had taken the DB III. Either of the cars would have suited his cover - well-to-do, rather adventurous young man with a taste for the good, fast things of life. But the DB III had the advantage of an up-to-date triptyque, an inconspicuous colour - battleship grey - and certain extras which might or might not come in handy

Bond never again drove an Aston Martin in the books, and there isn't any real reason why he should in the movies, aside from nostalgia, and Skyfall already indulged in that. Bond's preferred car was a Bentley, and while this might seem even more expensive and conspicuous, Bond's first Bentley was an old model, and his newer one was bought secondhand after "a rich idiot married it to a telephone pole."  For the next film, perhaps Craig could get behind the wheel of a Continental GT...

#15 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

I always loved the Dodge Viper...

#16 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

I always loved the Dodge Viper...

It's a neat car, but perhaps too American (though in TSWLM Bond does drive a Thunderbird--Fleming liked American cars more than his creation did).

#17 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

In Skyfall Silva destroys the DB5 completely, will this be the end of Bond's famous Aston Martin DB5?

I think i can not be restored anymore, there's so much damage. Or Bond had to buy a new one :P

What do you think?

SKYFALL_MPC_VFX_03A.jpg

1wZuu.jpg

Why is the second picture a miniature?

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I would actually welcome a new Lotus.

#19 johan

johan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

What do you think?

SKYFALL_MPC_VFX_03A.jpg

1wZuu.jpg

Why is the second picture a miniature?

Its the destroyed scale moddel used is SKyfall

#20 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

I don't think modern Bentley's would be Bond's thing. Too flashy.

#21 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

The modern Bentleys aren't any more flashy than the modern Aston Martins they've had him driving around in. 

#22 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

I suppose it depends upon the color. I always see Bond in an understated grey Aston , while I always see  people who are trying to show off their wealth in white or brightly colored Bentley's.

Edited by FlemingBond, 15 February 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#23 sablebasilisk

sablebasilisk

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

No doubt Bond had the DB5 fully insured, thus a credible return is entirely possible.

#24 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Glad to hear some love for the Lotus, save it for Bond 7 and go full circle. Let Craig finish with the DBS. 

It's IMO that if they brought back the DB5 in the Craig Era they would lose some of the 'reboots' integrity by sidelining the continuity they have only just created.

I think it is safe to say the DB5 is history, unless the producers chicken out and use it to help introduce a new Bond actor however I don't think they should. 

#25 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I do like the concept that Bond owns a personal, historic car such as the DB5. He drives it on weekends for recreation -- ala GoldenEye -- and enjoys the classic feel and function.

And yes, everyone forgets about the Lotus. The Esprit is such as classic car, and again a classic BOND car.

Perhaps an Evora?

Prix-Lotus-Evora-5.jpg

#26 jmarks4life

jmarks4life

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:12 AM

I think they should use a new Aston Martin, and retire the DB5(which is my favorite version).

Edited by jmarks4life, 21 April 2014 - 12:16 AM.