35 replies to this topic

#31 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

I hope there isn't a Craig backlash. Things will really have to go downhill for him to have that happen. He truly reinvented the role of Bond with even more pressure on him. I feel for whoever has to follow him. I will be sad to see him go, but don't want him to overstay either and I'll be rooting for the successor as I am a Bond fan first and foremost.

The only other actor I was sad to see go was Dalton because there was unfinished business there. It didn't mean I wished to see Brosnan fail as I wanted to see the series continue. At the same time I never bought into the hype thrust on him, the best Bond since Connery and billion dollar Bond and all that. Thus any sort of diminished returns from the Brosnan era given Craig's unique interpretation is understandable

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

I hope there isn't a Craig backlash. Things will really have to go downhill for him to have that happen. He truly reinvented the role of Bond with even more pressure on him. I feel for whoever has to follow him. I will be sad to see him go, but don't want him to overstay either and I'll be rooting for the successor as I am a Bond fan first and foremost.

It would be rotten, but I wouldn't rule out a Craig backlash of sorts. The next guy could be more in the quippy direction, and they'll say Craig was never strong in this aspect, and his films were too dull, or whatever.  

#33 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

I think the backlash has already begun, even as early as with QOS.

With CR, Craig was hailed as the second coming of Connery.  With QOS already people began to grow uneasy, calling him "too much of a brute", but mainly blamed the movie.

His turn in SKYFALL was viewed with enthusiasm - and, of course, the film delivered massive commercial success - but many reviewers did not hail Craig anymore as the best Bond but pointed out a lack of lighter shades and humor, this time not only blaming the script.

I guess when Craig leaves he will always be credited with bringing back a more down-to-earth, tougher and grittier Bond - but people will also talk about him as missing some ingredients for a perfect Bond.

Personally, I love Craig´s portrayal, and I don´t think that any actor can do everything the character offers.  

My take on the shortcomings of every Bond actor:

Connery:  not interested in showing Bond´s emotions

Lazenby:  not a trained actor and it shows in every respect (still not too shabby)

Moore:  not too much of a threatening presence

Dalton:  actually quite well-versed in every aspect of the character but maybe too afraid to be too light in the comedy moments

Brosnan:  not too much of a threatening presence as well

Craig:  maybe too much of a threatening presence 

#34 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'm not really sure that a backlash has already begun against Craig.  Skyfall really seems to be too popular of a Bond film for anyone to really be turning on Craig.  Even for those of us who don't like Skyfall, I think we'd recognize that it's more down to the story that they were telling (and the holes in said story) that made it disappointing, but I think that Craig did an excellent job portraying Bond in the way that EON, Mendes, and Logan wanted him to be portrayed.  

#35 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

He did, I agree.  But my impression is that critics and parts of the audience (well, um, people I know) already cool considerably in their admiration of Craig.

#36 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

I like how you put objective critiques of each one,