31 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Since the Kevin McClory fiasco is over, and Eon has the rights to all characters and films, do you think it's a good idea to bring back Blofeld? I keep hearing that Blofeld may return in the near future now that the official Bond team have the rights. Now, hold on, I'm not saying I believe everything I read but it is a possibility now that the character is now owned by them. When first hearing about that, I jumped at the fact that they can bring him back...but should they?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

No.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Absolutely not.  

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:00 AM

Yes, they should. For me, Blofeld is the one remaining part of the Bond "reboot" missing. Bond's nemesis - Moriarty to Bond's Sherlock Holmes, if you like.

That said, if he returns, I can't see him being portrayed in the same way as the Blofeld of the '60s and early '70s Bond films. I doubt he'll be wearing a Mao/Nehru style suit, or stroking a Persian cat. Which, of course, he didn't in the Fleming novels. But I for one would like to see a fresh interpretation of Blofeld and SPECTRE. The head of, in Fleming's own words, a "private enterprise for private profit", in an era when private multi-national organisations seem to be more powerful than nation states, seems an entirely relevant threat for the current Bond to take on.

#5 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

As much as Blofeld was/is an iconic figure in both the Fleming novels and the 1960's films, I can't see how he could effectively return without it being viewed as a "step backwards" for the franchise by the critics at large.  I would be interested in SPECTRE reemerging from the ashes... but in this day in age, how could such a group (realistically) exist?  Considering the wide-range of modern-day and very-real "terrorist groups" that exist (from Al Qaeda to Anonymous  - Boy, am I gonna get 'pinged' by the NSA for typing those two groups, or what?!?), the screen writers would have to morph SPECTRE into a 21st century group that would be so much of a far cry from the "Let's steal a bomb" group we know and love that we probably bitch and moan come the next movie that the SPECTRE they wrote isn't "ours.".  At most, the (modern, revamped) SPECTRE ("in name only") would at best, only serve as an "Easter Egg" for us fans.  

As much as I'd love, for nostalgia's sake, to see SPECTRE once again, I think the smart move is for the powers-to-be to keep us entertained with new groups like QUANTUM (not that I was overall "entertained" by QOS - but I digress)

With all due respect Guy Haines, while I concede to your overall point about Sherlock's Prof. Moriarty, hopefully you'll all concede that the Sherlock Holmes 'franchise' is not the best comparison to the 007 franchise. Unlike James Bond, on any given day, I can pop in a DVD of a Basil Rathbone Sherlock film, then switch over to Netflix and watch a Jeremy Brett episode of Sherlock, followed by a Cumberbach episode, and capped-off by watching an episode of Elementary On Demand.  Each gives me, not only a new 'interpretation' of Holmes, but each has it's own take on Prof. Moriarty  I truly don't mean to sound snarky, but Holmes and 007 are 'apples and oranges' in this respect.  Now... to be clear - I'D LOVE if we had that many "variations of 007' to choose from (including a Fleming-faithful TV mini-series!), but, since we don't, I think your point is (I mean this politely) 'misguided.'

#6 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

I agree with you Double. The next film should at least put some focus on the Quantum organization again.

Edited by iBond, 15 December 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#7 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

If you bring back Blofeld you might as well reintroduce Tracy.
Don't treat the reboot as a joke.

#8 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

As much as Blofeld was/is an iconic figure in both the Fleming novels and the 1960's films, I can't see how he could effectively return without it being viewed as a "step backwards" for the franchise by the critics at large.  I would be interested in SPECTRE reemerging from the ashes... but in this day in age, how could such a group (realistically) exist?  Considering the wide-range of modern-day and very-real "terrorist groups" that exist (from Al Qaeda to Anonymous  - Boy, am I gonna get 'pinged' by the NSA for typing those two groups, or what?!?), the screen writers would have to morph SPECTRE into a 21st century group that would be so much of a far cry from the "Let's steal a bomb" group we know and love that we probably bitch and moan come the next movie that the SPECTRE they wrote isn't "ours.".  At most, the (modern, revamped) SPECTRE ("in name only") would at best, only serve as an "Easter Egg" for us fans.  

As much as I'd love, for nostalgia's sake, to see SPECTRE once again, I think the smart move is for the powers-to-be to keep us entertained with new groups like QUANTUM (not that I was overall "entertained" by QOS - but I digress)

With all due respect Guy Haines, while I concede to your overall point about Sherlock's Prof. Moriarty, hopefully you'll all concede that the Sherlock Holmes 'franchise' is not the best comparison to the 007 franchise. Unlike James Bond, on any given day, I can pop in a DVD of a Basil Rathbone Sherlock film, then switch over to Netflix and watch a Jeremy Brett episode of Sherlock, followed by a Cumberbach episode, and capped-off by watching an episode of Elementary On Demand.  Each gives me, not only a new 'interpretation' of Holmes, but each has it's own take on Prof. Moriarty  I truly don't mean to sound snarky, but Holmes and 007 are 'apples and oranges' in this respect.  Now... to be clear - I'D LOVE if we had that many "variations of 007' to choose from (including a Fleming-faithful TV mini-series!), but, since we don't, I think your point is (I mean this politely) 'misguided.'

Well, to answer your points, firstly the franchise itself almost re-invented SPECTRE in the 1970s as a group of young anarchists bent not on blackmail but the destruction of civilisation. That was a plot idea for the film "The Spy Who Loved Me", unused because it was thought too political and, as I understand it, because some in the cinema audience might have sympathised with the young villains! I wonder - would the fans at that time have said "that's not SPECTRE as I remember it"? A SPECTRE with Blofeld at its heart could be re-imagined for this day and age, committing contemporary crimes using 21st century methods. And I've already said, a rebooted Blofeld shouldn't, in my view, include anything that the likes of Michael Myers has already parodied. I think the interest from fans and critics alike would be in how this character and his organisation could be re-invented for, say, 2015 - the year we expect Bond 24 to be released. I think we can get too hung up on the return of Blofeld meaning the look of the villain from the Connery films - or SPECTRE being the nuclear bomb hijackers "we all know and love". That's not what I had in mind at all. As you've pointed out yourself, when Holmes was re-invented for the present day in the recent BBC series, so was Moriarty. I see no reason why it can't be done for Blofeld, save one - how to fit the murder of Bond's wife into the reboot era without remaking OHMSS - whatever else the Bond producers intend for the future, it doesn't appear to include remakes.

Secondly, there's an argument for saying that we've already had different "takes" on Bond from Daniel Craig's predecessors within the overall series. For example, Sir Roger Moore's approach to the role was quite different in some ways to that of his predecessors, or successors. And it was Sir Roger himself who said that, as with Hamlet, there's more than one way of playing Bond. What we haven't had, I concede, is Bond in a mini TV series (Though in the UK we've had him in quite faithful adaptations of the Fleming novels, on radio) or a movie as a 1950s period piece.

Finally, "Quantum". I've no problem with its return in the next Bond film. If the producers decide not to re-boot SPECTRE and Blofeld, Craig's Bond has, if anything, a more mysterious adversary still to finish off - beyond the fact that certain leading players in business, espionage and politics are involved in it (Including, er, a character whose name I've used here as a pseudonym since I joined Cbn!) we don't know much else. Quantum remains unfinished business. It would be interesting though if it was led by a character named, say, Dr Guntram Shatterhand - didn't he used to be.....? ;-)

#9 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Why not give Bond #7 a kick-start with Blofeld/SPECTRE? It feels wrong to waste this on an aging Craig.

#10 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm all for introducing Serge Ångström or Guntram Shatterhand as the leader of Quantum.

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 15 December 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#11 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm all for introducing Serge Ångström or Guntram Shatterhand as the leader of Quantum.

Me too.

#12 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yes!

While we've got a great Bond, a great director (and list of directors keen to work with Craig) and likewise with the writers, i think Eon should grab the opportunity to give Blofeld and SPECTRE a great reintroduction.

Who knows how well the next actor will work out - it's always a gamble - and if they don't cut it as well as Craig then that list of talent keen to be part of the franchise will drop off.

Sure it might have downsides, or go awry, but this may be the best chance to avoid that.

As Mr Wint pointed out, it's a shame the years have gotten away from Craig a little, but if he wanted to do another 3, having a strong SPECTRE trilogy arch, then i'm sure he'd pull it off admirably.

And if Eon wanted story continuity, then a good writer could easily reveal Quantum to be none other than, or a part of SPECTRE with Blofeld at the head.

Of course there should only be nods to the white cat and the other cliches, to prevent pastiche, but i'd like to see the bald head remain - lose to many motifs and it's just Blofeld by name. Best course of action as ever is too go back to the source material - create the literary Blofeld rather than the 60s cinematic interpretation.

How i'd love to see Fleming's Blofeld trilogy - the nuclear threat of TB, the personal tragedy of OHMSS and the kaleidoscopic oriental mind bender that is YOLT.

For Craig to end his tenure with amnesia, fishing on an idilic island. Only to be reminded of his past by toilet paper and then to disappear into the horizon believing he's heading home, but is in fact walking into the lions den. What great send off and what great anticipation for the next movie - the next actor...

Eon could introduce the new actor without rebooting - to have him reappear after a year of two, apparently a new Bond (definitely a new face), asking to be brought back into the fold after being thought lost. This of course is the start of TMWTGG, Fleming's follow up to YOLT.

So, new Bond tries to assassinate M, fails and needs therapy etc to undo the brainwashing and remember who he really is, 007. It's a perfect way to re-cast and keep a sense of continuity with minimal suspension of disbelief necessary.

I'd leave TMWTGG there, as it was of course an unfinished novel and merge it into FRWL. The enemy that brainwashed Bond and sent him to kill M is unhappy about the failure and wish to remove 007 from any future equation, so they hatch a cunning plan to lure him back into darker territory with the promise of a beautiful agent who has important info and needs saving.

This allows writers to spend time with the enemy, just as in the beginning of Fleming's FRWL, as they evaluate their lost asset, 007; and this nicely allows the viewers to get to know the new Bond actor in unique way, via enemy intelligence.

This also allows Eon to use great, vastly untapped material from TMWTGG and FRWL without them being seen as remakes of the existing movies.

To boil it down:

Pre-titles: New Bond returns after being thought lost. He fails to assassinate M (audience are thinking, wow, who's side is this new guy really on?). Without any explanation of his actions we go into the title sequence - the theme being 'who is Bond - the good guy or the bad guy and lost and found memories'?

Post titles: We don't see Bond -- we're with those who brainwashed him - evaluating their failure, deciding to eliminate Bond before the brainwashing is fully reversed and his time with the enemy becomes a threat to them (throughout the story there's the theme of remembrance - things critical to the plot, but also things about Bond's past that help the audience to accept this has always been our Bond) The enemy evaluates the best course of attack; Bond's strengths and weaknesses (which they now know so well). We see and learn all about our new Bond via their intelligence material on him.

They decide that his primary weakness is beautiful women - particularly those that need rescuing. They choose which beautiful agent will lure Bond, but the audience don't find out whether or not Tatiana Romonova  is in on the plot.

The twist in CR was that Vesper was in on it, so now, as in Fleming's FRWL the twist is that she's not in on it. She turns out to be an innocent whom Bond is fully healed by in the act of finally managing to save a truly innocent damsel, for once. This means that perhaps he doesn't mind leaving some of the scar tissue un-remembered and ironically the brainwashing did him a favour - the old Bond, scarred by the losses of Vesper and Tracy may not have believed in this new damsel and failed an innocent woman.

After our time with the enemy we return to the UK for the first time since seeing Bond try to kill M.

We find our new Bond in therapy, in training and, more uniquely, trying to regain the trust of his colleagues after such a betrayal. So when the enemy bait, Tatiana is presented as dubious intelligence, though it's undoubtably a trap, it's agreed that if Bond wants his 00s back, then this is really his only option. Let the globe trotting mayhem begin!

It's the same story device that Scaramanga  was in TMWTGG - a way of plausibly getting Bond back into the action, sanctioned by M despite trying to kill him, an act for which the reader/viewer would otherwise reasonably expect retirement if not court marshall; a suicide mission!

But i believe using Tatiana as a lure, instead of a bullet is far more interesting, given Bond's tragic history with women.

I'd also keep the poised shoe ending from the novel - leave Bond on his death bed until the next movie. No good deed goes unpunished and we don't a perfectly adjusted Bond henceforth - how dull would that be?  It's just a moment of bliss before Rosa Klebb puts the boot in.

Either thats a great idea, or i have far too much time on my hands ;)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 15 December 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#13 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

I like your idea of introducing the new Bond in the PTS attempting to assassinate M. That would really blow a few minds in the cinema. I dunno about using FRWL as a source though. Already filmed once, and really how could you improve on it?  

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

No.

Blofeld is just a cypher for Any Villain at this stage of the proceedings.  Reintroducing Blofeld as the named villain would just unnecessarily raise the expectations to limits that would ultimately just disappoint

Now that the DB5 is finally blown up, perhaps all nods to things past can be put to bed.  A satisfactory story working for Quantum, to my mind, would be far more preferable.

#15 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've said in other threads, I'm not sure if there's intrinsic value in bringing back Blofeld.

To us fans and connoisseurs, yes we understand the importance of the character within Bond universe as constructed by Fleming. But to the average moviegoer, Blofeld is ultimately the character who inspired Dr Evil from Austin Powers. So unless you bring some version of that guy, white cat etc, then I'm not sure there's much point. Having a villain called Blofeld without all that attendant cack (to steal a phrase from Jim's 007th Minute series) is going to appeal to us "insiders" - the average moviegoer is going to need it explained it to them as "ohhhh, you mean that bald guy"?

Personally, I want villains who are constructed beyond any stereo-type, if they're called Blofeld, sure great, nod-to-us-fans. But do I think it's necessary to somehow give the DC-era "completeness"? No, not at all.

#16 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Quantum, Mr. White, Spectre, Blofeld, YES. Tracey, NEVER. However I'd also like them to create a new nemesis for Bond to battle through the ages.

#17 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yes. Please. Blofeld is Bond's one true arch-nemesis. Interpret him as you like, but--someday--he must return.

#18 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:49 AM

No.  The villains should always be new and of their time.  While it's fun and informative to successfully re invent and translate the protagonists (blonde Bond, female M, black Money Penny and Felix, young computer nerdy Q) to today's times, villains are set in their days.  Blofeld would be a fish out of water today.  Holding countries for ransom?!  Not after Austin Powers.

I'd still like to see the name Guntram Shatterhand as a nod to Fleming, but as his own new character, not a cover for a 60s era megalomaniac.

#19 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wall of text

I want every single word of this to come true! It's best Bond-related thing I've ever read. I don't care if Blofeld will keep his name, I just want this to happen.

Edited by Walecs, 17 December 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#20 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

No.

I'd leave TMWTGG there, as it was of course an unfinished novel

It was finished. Don't know why fans keep repeating this rumor. "Unfinished" implies "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". Okay, so Fleming didn't like the book and wanted to revamp it, but what we have is clearly finished. There are no missing pages, chapters, etc, and it clearly has an end.

#21 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:41 AM

No bald head, no white cat, as other posts have indicated the average movie goer will think Austin Powers/Dr. Evil.
Pay homage to character but let's not spoof Blofeld. Follow Raymond Benson's idea and bring back Irma Bunt?
She was never mentioned in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

#22 JSDude1

JSDude1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

Guys, I am new to this forum (and so this is my 1st posting). 

I have been a longtime James Bond fan (my first movie being Goldeneye when as a 13 year old my dad too me too see it), consequently Pierce Brosnan is one of my favorite Bonds (Sean Connery being #1), with the exception of his performance in Die Another Day (arguably one of the worst JB movies)!

Anyway, I think that Blofeld most definitely should return along with SPECTRE.  They would undoubtably have to be reimagined to a degree to meet the realities of our harsh world (Alqaeda, anarachists, rogue elements of totalitarian regimes, modern organized crime, government agencies trampling on our rights, etc..).

Here's a rough plot outline (and a few other thoughts) on how I think Mr. Blofeld could return (I may write a screenplay then send it to Barbara B & Co depending on time, reception to this, etc..).

NAME: "Beware the gun, Mr. Bond"... Opening scenes (start out with a scene both past, start out with a scene showing how JB became an orphan, with his parents' ski accident, then being sent to boarding school-and mentored by professors).

2nd opening scene takes place when JB is in Bosnia in 1994 as a member of the Royal Navy's Special Boat Service.   Shows he and his Co (unnamed right now) along with his team successfully rescuing civilians from a unit of Serb soldiers.

All are commended with service medals.  (Coincidently I would connect the "reboot" with the old series in a few "Eastereggs, but which do not change the plot of the new movies in any significant ways); Here I would clearly show (not Sean Bean), but the character Alec Trevelyan as a "brother" and member of the team.

---

Title Sequence, Gun Barrel, Song

---

To modern day where James Bond is sent on an assassination mission to kill a mobster that has been known to target MI6 personnel as well as acting as a middleman for weapons smuggling between an Alquaeda affiliated jihadist group in Morocco and European mobsters.   He is sent to southern Spain to kill this man as he vacations on a Mediterranean beach.  James Bond looks through scope as this man is exactly where MI6 Intelligence has said he is on the beach vacationing with his children.  James Bond looks through the scope, sees the back of the man's head, takes the shot and then suddenly the man falls and turns around;  JB is horrified; HE HAS KILLED HIS FORMER CO from years ago-and ~not~ this suspected mobster/alqaeda supply man! 

Exclaims: "AN INNOCENT HAS DIED BY MY HAND" is horrified, especially as he comes to learn that this is indeed his former commander as his bio stated in the news articles about the incident.  As well we learn that the CO was a single father and his two children were now orphans, just like James Bond!! James bond goes through an internal M16 Military trial (M Stands by 007); and he is ruled innocent as HE had merely carried out orders without question, it had been faulty intelligence which had directed Mr. Bond to kill the wrong person!

JAMES BOND IS RADDLED; HE HAS LOST HIS EDGE/LOST HIS CONFIDENCE

Still he is raddled, and found in a drunken stopper in his apartment.

M tells JB to "get yourself together; we need you on a mission".   He has 007 evaluated both physically and mentally and found in excellent shape, perfect weapon proficiency.

James Bond is sent to investigate a terrorist organization which has been targeting civilian populations in a few eastern European nations, and to kill the local cell leader if he cannot find out who they are taking order from.

The first part of the mission (infiltration, killing a few baddies, and gaining access to a vantage point where he can see the leader of this cell commencing a deal).  As 007 is about to take out this person (sniper style) he LOSES HIS NEVE, freezes and cannot complete his mission, which gives the enemy enough time to react and overwhelm JB.  They capture him.

They take him to a remote Mediterranean island like Malta or some such..  Here James Bond is in a dark cell with a few other "prisoners" only he is hurt, yet unchained:

Then the reintroduction of Ernst Stavro Blofeld (who in this version is more Telly Savalas than Donald Pleasance or Charles Gray). (Personally I'd chose Tom Hardy as #1 to play him-just watch Star Trek Nemesis to see what I am talking about).

He comes to a broken 007, and tells him who he is (and how HE and SPECTRE had set up the assassination of JB's former CO through the mole in MI6, and through paying the gambling debts of his former CO and sent him on vacation to Spain with his two children) how HE had manipulated the information and the situation to destroy 007.   He said "Mr. Bond, I WILL TAKE THE WORLD FROM YOU; YOU CANNOT PROTECT THE INNOCENTS!".   Blofeld, leaves James Bond in his cell (unshackled and open) with the following statement and item:  He says "Beware the gun, Mr. Bond; you cannot protect them from my gun"..."I have left you a courtesy..your Walther PPK with one bullet, you know what to do 007 (implying suicide)".

Just as James Bond has the gun to his head and about to kill himself he hears:  "STOP Mr,  I know who you are".  It is a female voice, soft yet comforting..

She is a prisoner too,  She tell him "I know who you are 007, and I know what you've done in the past to save us from monsters like that".  "Maybe he exists, maybe people like that man exist SO THAT MEN LIKE YOU CAN STOP HIM!" Maybe that's why you exist to protect the innocents from Mr. Blofeld and all men like him!".  JB IS BACK (HE HAS HIS NEW FOUND CONFIDENCE).  

He of course takes the girl, who explains she is a CIA agent that was captured in South America investigating the same terrorist organization.

She and bond team up and go on  an investigation into this terrorist organization which has been blowing up civilian targets in EU and the USA then demanding payment from member countries to stop their rampage during their captivity.  Of course it is revealed that Quantum/Spectre are the same organization..

The end up in a climax where James Bond chases Blofed in both car and then on foot, finally at the top of a flat mountain they are racing up (for some reason that I haven't thought of yet) and when they reach the top at approximately the same time (JB and Blofeld) JB firmly exclaims:  "(JB) Beware MY gun (in anger-channeling Tim Dalton)"  "What (Blofeld)" "(JB) One shot, one kill".  Then shoots him through the gun barrel-bullet ultimately ending in Blofeld's head) where we see blood, and E.S. Blofeld falls off the mountain into a mountain stream/river.

The Body was not found, but the last scene is James Bond romancing the girl in a mountain cabin as snow falls outside..

#23 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Tom Hardy as Blofeld! Why not? That would preclude him form being Bond himself (which I do not want.)

I'm guessing though, that the angst and self-doubt part of this story may not go down with well with people around here....(turns to Mitchell) ...AmIright??

Good ideas though, and keep 'em coming.

Welcome to CBn!

Edited by dtuba, 17 December 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#24 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Agreed. I had Tom Hardy in mind as Blofeld also. I don't envisage a revised head of SPECTRE as a parody or camp, but as a hard edged villain, just as Daniel Craig plays a hard edged Bond.

#25 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

A mordeniszed version of the Blofeld played by Donald Pleasence or the novel's. Which ever would work of course. Depending on who can really play the role today.

Edited by Syndicate, 17 December 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#26 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

A mordeniszed version of the Blofeld played by Donald Pleasence or the novel's. Which ever would work of course. Depending on who can really play the role today.

Mike Myers!!

#27 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Welcome JSDude1. 

#28 JSDude1

JSDude1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Absolutely he should return!  Of course I think they should make him more like a Telly Savalas; than the camp of Donald Pleasance or Charles Gray.

I also think they should vaguely refer to past exploits like killing JB's wife to tie this continuity to the last set of movies like mentioning Bond's reason to go after him: Tracy's death. I am serious; Bond doesn't have to be 100% chronologically or logically correct IMO, so I am fine with having a "reboot" as well as making it tie to the old series as if they happened TOO in JB's past (as one person).  I mean if we can accept both Moonraker and DAD along with OHMSS and FYEO in the same continuity then why not tie Craig's Bond to the old continuity as well?

Blofeld would be a perfect spot, they already partially did this with the old JB references in Skyfally anyway..

As for the actor to play him in a new JB movie: I'd pick Tom Hardy (Watch Star Trek: Nemesis to see what I mean..).

#29 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Here's why rebooting Blofeld won't work. Unless you intend to remake OHMSS then there's no point building him up. Might as well re-tie the Craig chronology into the old series. Blofeld's main selling point was that he was the guy who would kill Bond's wife and then he became the guy who did kill Bond's wife. (Let's pretend Irma Bunt isn't holding the machine gun, of course.) Without either, there's nothing special about him, and no reason to re-introduce him, other than,

A) The Persian Cat

B ) Bond fanboys will spray their shorts to see him again

C) Austin Powers's own Dr. Evil

So either he's the guy who killed Bond's wife or let him rest.

Enough of the reboots.

#30 Krest

Krest

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Interesting (and equally valid!) comments on both sides.  My gut feeling is that you should and could bring him back BUT mirroring any of the earlier portrayals from the 60's and 70's would be a joke for exactly the reasons mentioned earlier, most notably Austin Powers.

Blofeld, and indeed SPECTRE, are iconic (but not necessarily always essential) elements of Bond.  I loved the whole sinister Quantum Organisation in QOS - not knowing who was behind it, "we have people everywhere" thing.  Just imagine if it was SPECTRE - brilliant!   Whether we all love it or loathe it, the reboot has happened but that doesn't have to mean telling stories again (i.e., Tracy) but it does mean saving and reinventing essential elements.  I see bringing Blofeld/SPECTRE back in the same way as bringing Q and Moneypenny back - it's a no brainer!!    

I think you only have to look at the recent UK series of Sherlock to see that you can bring a classic villain back in a contemporary and slick way. 

Loving the whole Tom Hardy idea.  There are some brilliant actors out there who could carry it off, and dare I say it - you could even have the white cat back too.  Just don't have it on his lap being stroked in any way whatsoever! 

Interesting post but I suspect it might be a quite polarising subject!