7 replies to this topic

#1 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Well, I call it an era... but one has to keep up a tradition.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

There is no two ways about it. This is a truly wonderful movie. George Lazenby I think actually does quite well as our man despite the way history seems to remember him. The fellow who played Marc Ange Draco provides a truly stimulating sidekick for our man, and is almost as engaging as Kerim Bay. Telly Savalas is a wonderful villain, perhaps my favourite of the onscreen Blofelds. Last but not least, Diana Rigg is delightful as Tracy.

Refreshingly (despite a few minor deviations here and there) this seems to be a fairly straight adaptation on Ian Fleming's book (also one of my favorites). The film benefits greatly. I think it is a real shame that poor old Fleming didn't last long enough to see this one. It really does his work justice. The story-line is thrilling, and just on the right side of believable. The action is truly thrilling. This film shares many of the same strengths as From Russia With Love in that it provides and equal amount of brains to go with the brawn.

One cannot however have a discussion about OHMSS mentioning the ending. It is beautifully played, well acted, and no matter how many times one sees the movie is still like a punch in the gut.

My youngest daughter watched this one with me in it's entirety. My oldest daughter however, only wanted to see the bit where our man gets married. I hadn't warned either of them about the way it was going to turn out. My youngest daughter pretty much took it in her stride but my oldest was deeply affected by the ending and was in floods of tears. All the way through dinner. She perked up a bit however when I told her that even though it takes a few films - our man does catch up with that Blofeld rotter and even the score.

A truly wonderful movie. Perhaps the Empire Strikes Back of the Bond films?

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

It certainly is a wonderful movie.  I've mentioned elsewhere some of my reservations.  They're not really negatives, just things that didn't quite live up to my expectations, and I fully expect to attract disagreements.  One is Diana Rigg.  She was the first TV performer that I ever had a crush on, so criticism doesn't come easily, but her performance as Tracy was a bit too much like Emma Peel for me.  She was more independent than the character in the book, and her lack of vulnerability diminished the credibility of her decision to track Bond to Piz Gloria.  The Tracy of the novel needed to find Bond; I'm not so sure about the Tracy of the film.

My other significant reservation pertains to Bond's ski escape from Piz Gloria.  Yes, it's imaginatively filmed in a spectacular setting, but, though Blofeld went after Bond with a legion of guards, I never felt that he was threatened by them.  For me, there was a curious lack of tension about the entire affair.  What's more, I felt that having a second ski chase, this one with Tracy skiing as well or better than any of her pursuers (see criticism above) undermined the central role of Bond's original skiing escape, essentially making it just the first (and the less exciting first at that) of two.  

In view of these thoughts, it might be expected that I'd dislike the film as a whole, but that's not the case at all.  These are simply aspects that I wish had been done differently.  OHMSS is still a treasure, one of my most watched Bond movies. 

#3 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hmmm. Tallon, my old bean - I can't say I've ever looked at things that way before sir. I like the way that at when a lot of other films would end, this one just piles on more. In fact, I think True Lies followed this movie's template to an extent.

Obviously, True Lies is often compared to Bond movies and rightly so. It kind of has the bawdy humour of the Roger Moore era, it's opening is a sly wink to Goldfinger but the actual plot structure I would say is very much borrowed from OHMSS

To wit the leading lady dissapears from the story while our man goes on his mission, she gets involved later in the story (the sub-plot catches up with the main plot), he rescues her and they fight their way out together. Also, it's only toward the end that Tracy realises the kind of work our man is really in, much like True Lies except OHMSS is a bit more subtle in that regard. 

And another thing the movies have in common, like I mentioned earlier is that they just get more and more spectacular piling it on where other movies would have given up. 

A correct observation do you think? 

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

It certainly is a wonderful movie.  I've mentioned elsewhere some of my reservations.  They're not really negatives, just things that didn't quite live up to my expectations, and I fully expect to attract disagreements.  One is Diana Rigg.  She was the first TV performer that I ever had a crush on, so criticism doesn't come easily, but her performance as Tracy was a bit too much like Emma Peel for me.  She was more independent than the character in the book, and her lack of vulnerability diminished the credibility of her decision to track Bond to Piz Gloria.  The Tracy of the novel needed to find Bond; I'm not so sure about the Tracy of the film.

Yeah, I sort of see what you're saying. If you first knew Mrs. Peel it's hard not to picture Bond dating her rather than Tracy. I can't imagine what that was like for viewers when it was released. When OHMSS was run on ABC in 1980, CBS was showing Avengers reruns on its late night schedule and I got to see a double dose of Diana Rigg that night.

At the same time, I am glad the filmmakers didn't make Tracy the helpless heroine. The tougher Tracy seems to be the perfect complement to a man like Bond. Especially one he'd want to settle down with.

#5 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Best Bond film ever for me. I know there's a history of criticism at Lazenby, but I always thought that this wasn't about an actor playing James Bond but more about the real James Bond in a film - James Bond's a spy not an actor and he comes across as more real to me.

But how do you like this film in Blu-ray? I was inspired by your decision to watch the Bonds chronologically in bu-ray - I didn't own a single Blu-ray film, not one of any flavour.

Thursday I ordered a player, Friday I ordered the Bond 50 Collection on blu-ray.

This morning the collection turned up, tomorrow the player and I can't wait to see this film.

#6 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Mr Cape as eager as I am to answer your question with knobs on - I am going to pay you the compliment of refusing to ruin the surprise. However, my enthusiasm should reflect the answer to the question anyway. I think you will be pleased.  ;)

#7 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Stu - you are an expensive inspiration, I'll say that! :D

Pleased? I'd guessed that much - just wondering how far off the scale, but appreciate the thought of a non-spoiler. ;)

Tomorrow seems along way away right at this moment. But I'll be looking forward to comparing notes. 

#8 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

And I shall look forward to comparing notes with you Mr Cape, any fan of our man is a friend of mine! So straight away I can tell that you're a good egg.