This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Which Bond and Bond girl had the best on-screen chemistry?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Universal Exports

Universal Exports

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

My vote goes to Lazenby and Diana Rigg.  Admittedly, I think she played the role of the Bond girl better than any other, but I think it was in large part to her chemistry with Lazenby.  Their love story came across as natural and genuine.

Others that stood out to me:  Pierce and Sophie Marceau (TWINE), Connery and Ursula Andress (Dr. No), Craig and Eva Green (CR).

While it doesn't fit the question (as she isn't a "Bond girl), I also love the rapport between Connery and Lois Maxwell (Moneypenny).

Edited by Universal Exports, 14 October 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#2 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Even though the off screen chemistry wasn't there, I agree with Univeral Exports. Lazenby and Rigg (specially Rigg imo) did a great job in bringing the fatal romance between Bond and Tracy to life.

Craig and Green also deserve to be commended for the exceptional job each of them did in CR. With CR being the last of Fleming's novels to be filmed, expectations were unrealistically high ( at least mine were).  Craig and Green made Vesper and Bond's relationship easy to buy into.

Maud Adams had enough chemistry with Roger Moore to end up playing not one but two Bond girls. While I found Bond's involvement with Andrea a little depressing, the relationship between Bond and Octopussy was great fun to watch.

#3 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Lazenby and Rigg definitely.

#4 bogard

bogard

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

I adore the scene when Lazenby sits on the bench, all tired and in despair. She passes by on iceskates and sees him. I love the smile she gives him.

#5 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I go for Lazenby and Rigg also. They really made you believe that their characters would marry each other.

#6 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

I also really enjoyed the rapport Dalton's Bond had with Kara. They had several nice scenes together. I really believed that romance.

#7 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Diana Rigg didn´t like Lazenby, so she acted really great. Connery and Claudine Auger had an affair while TB, so they didn´t have to act that much. Same was rumored with Moore and Adams, but you could see on screen that he really likes her. Sad to say but Dalton had no great chemistry with any one of his ladies. Craig and Green felt very forced and unbelievable. I think Craig had the best chemistry with Judy Dench. What I really liked was the chemistry between Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh.  

#8 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Connery and Blackman

Lazenby and Rigg

Moore en Chiles

Craig and Green.

They were all great in their own right.

#9 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

My top three are all repeats of choices ventured earlier in the thread:

• Timothy Dalton and Maryam d'Abo
  • George Lazenby and Diana Rigg
  • Daniel Craig and Eva Green

Honourable mention in the Moneypenny interactions to Roger Moore and Lois Maxwell, plus Daniel Craig and Naomie Harris.

#10 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Even though the off screen chemistry wasn't there, I agree with Univeral Exports. Lazenby and Rigg (specially Rigg imo) did a great job in bringing the fatal romance between Bond and Tracy to life.

Craig and Green also deserve to be commended for the exceptional job each of them did in CR. With CR being the last of Fleming's novels to be filmed, expectations were unrealistically high ( at least mine were).  Craig and Green made Vesper and Bond's relationship easy to buy into.

Maud Adams had enough chemistry with Roger Moore to end up playing not one but two Bond girls. While I found Bond's involvement with Andrea a little depressing, the relationship between Bond and Octopussy was great fun to watch.

Even though it wasn't there lol. I like that, kinda the understatement of the film lol. Poor George, he only got the one chance to play Bond and he gets a lesbian to play his girl. Credit to Rigg though she really did play the best Bond girl imo

I adore the scene when Lazenby sits on the bench, all tired and in despair. She passes by on iceskates and sees him. I love the smile she gives him.

That scene, brief though it may be, is one I always remember when questions similar to this thread are posed. Those two acted out the part of being together so naturally it seemed.

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Even though it wasn't there lol. I like that, kinda the understatement of the film lol. Poor George, he only got the one chance to play Bond and he gets a lesbian to play his girl.

Hmmm?

#12 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Even though it wasn't there lol. I like that, kinda the understatement of the film lol. Poor George, he only got the one chance to play Bond and he gets a lesbian to play his girl.

Diana Rigg's not a Lesbian.

#13 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

No she's not. I meant in how she came across to George, she might as well have been.

Diana has had two marriages and given birth, so you're right, hardly likely if she was a lesbian.

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hmm.

#15 Jonathan Cape

Jonathan Cape

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Unless you know something I don't Jim! lol

That was a more reassuring "hmm" though not as long as the original "Hmmm". I say reassuring because you didn't question or have a question mark at the end of the second one. ;-)

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Unless you know something I don't Jim! lol

That was a more reassuring "hmm" though not as long as the original "Hmmm". I say reassuring because you didn't question or have a question mark at the end of the second one. ;-)

Hm.

#17 Moore'sStuntDouble

Moore'sStuntDouble

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Rigg and Lazenby were the best, but I think Moore and Maud Adams in Octopussy is worth mentioning. 

#18 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Definitely agree on Diana Rigg. I will also add Pierce and Izabella Scorupco. Better than Myriam d'Abo in the role of the 'innocent' brought in a worlwide 'meltdown'

#19 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Bond and Viona Volpe as in a love/hate relationship... there was a lot of chemistry on the screen in the scene's they had together.

#20 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

Roger Moore and Barbara Bach when it was revealed 007 killed XXX's lover.
Might have been Sir Roger's best acting during his tenure.

#21 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lois Maxwell gets my vote.  Although technically not an "official Bond girl", Lois exuded the acting chops to make (at least for me) us believe that she was a long-time ally of both Connery and Moore's 007. During the Connery/Moore era of "excess", Maxwell's Moneypenny (along with her banter with the actor playing 007) was an important facet of keeping Bond "grounded" in some semblance of reality before each film 'kicked-off with the action" and our hero dove deep into the rabbit-hole of the surreal world of hollowed-out volcanos and dentally-challenged/enhanced henchmen.  For two decades. Lois made us believe that 007 would, if not for the mission he just got from M, take her up on her invitation to "wine and dine" her. 

Edited by Double Naught spy, 20 October 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#22 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

I always thought Connery and Tatiana Romanova from FRWL seemed good together. Brosnan and GE's Natalya Simonova I always also really liked. 

#23 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

My top three are all repeats of choices ventured earlier in the thread:

• Timothy Dalton and Maryam d'Abo
  • George Lazenby and Diana Rigg
  • Daniel Craig and Eva Green

Honourable mention in the Moneypenny interactions to Roger Moore and Lois Maxwell, plus Daniel Craig and Naomie Harris.

I agree with these choices.

#24 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'll give one for each actor:

Connery and Akiko Wakabayashi.  Sean is sleepwalking here, but I just love the Aki character.

Lazenby and Rigg.  Sometimes chemistry stems from dislike, though Rigg is a great actress, and the script provides plenty of nice moments.

Moore and Adams in Octopussy.  Feels like resurrecting an old flame.

Dalton and D'Abo.  The Living Daylights is the one date movie for Bond.  The argument over the cello--we've all had similar disagreements!

Brosnan and Scorupco. Izabella is the best of the Brosnan Bond women.  Smart, capable, gorgeous--the smile she gives when Bond chases her in the tank.

Craig and Olga.  There's more of a professional camraderie here, but also a sensitivity and vulnerability between two damaged characters.  "I wish I could set you free, but your prison is locked in there." 

#25 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Dalton and Maryam

#26 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Connery and Blackman probably win

Craig and Harris are close

Lazenby and Rigg get an honorable mention.

#27 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Roger Moore and Barbara Bach when it was revealed 007 killed XXX's lover.Might have been Sir Roger's best acting during his tenure.

Yes, agree 100%
I also agree with the mentions of Lazenby and Rigg and Moore and Adams.
I think Connery had a lot of chemistry with Fiona Volpe, sort of a mixture of sexual attraction and hatred.

Edited by The Krynoid man, 14 May 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#28 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Agree 100%. One of the few very touching scenes in a Bond movie. And the fact that he really looks scared clearly gives overall depth to this scene. Brilliant indeed!

To answer the question, I would have to go with what has been said before and vote for Laz' & Rigg. It's a genuine and intense relationship between the characters.

#29 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

I expect the more romantic numbers to do well here (eg. the likes of OHMSS/CR).

In terms of actual chemistry (rather than the script) - I liked Dalton and D'abo together in TLD (the irony being she was originally only involved in the "new Bond" casting process but was singled out to play along-side "Pierce Brosnan" as Bond. I would have loved to see how TLD might have panned out with Pierce as Bond). The Fairground scenes seal the deal for me, but the scene where they meet face to face in her apartment is nice also.

#30 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Lazenby and Rigg. Regardless of what may or may not have occurred between the takes, they were convincing on-screen as a couple who were falling in love

Connery and Blackman. Rumour has it that Connery felt threatened by the character of Pussy Galore- and doubly so when they cast a popular and established actress in the role. Maybe it encouraged him to up his game a little, but there is a great dynamic between the two

Craig and Green. Yes, the parts were well-written, but, from their very first scene together, they play off each other perfectly

ps. Can we count Craig and Javier Bardem for their first scene together? :-)

At the other end of the scale...

Brosnan and Denise Richards, Moore and Tanya Roberts, Connery and Kim Basinger. 

In all three cases, these couples may as well have filmed their scenes separately...