#31 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Sade--all that icy jazz.

hmmmmmmm, that would've been amazing. ;)

#32 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

If the subject matter of "having the organization who you've given your life to suddenly turns it's back on you (betrays you)" would have been played up just a bit more in LTK, I'd go with Joe Strummer (from the Clash).  In the theoretical title song, Strummer (RIP) could have "set the stage" for a revenge/betrayal theme to the film with his penchant for vocals that ranged from "disgust with the system" to "righteous indignation" to "melancholy over the futility that is the future/fate of mankind."  

If nothing else, it would have been a far better showing from the Clash than the cumbersome  "London Calling" that was in DAD when Brosnan's plane approached London.  That was about as 'cringe-worthy' as when I heard Beatles' Revolution hawking Nike sneakers back years ago! 

Edited by Double Naught spy, 02 December 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#33 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

Janelle Monae. She can sing and write the theme song. In fact she can write the entire music score as far as I'm concerned. This track from The ArchAndroid shows a definite John Barry influence (about a minute in):

https://www.youtube....h?v=NFN3LmHD7QM

Sorry, posted in wrong thread. Janelle Monae is defnitely not from the '70's or '80's.

#34 fho

fho

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

Have to agree about Depeche Mode, not only because they're my favorite band but also because they've got that particular sound.  I think "A Pain That I'm Used To" from 2005 is an ideal Bond theme, especially for the Craig era.  Just listen to the guitar bits:

Edited by fho, 03 December 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#35 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'm surprised Elvis didn't do Diamonds are Forever. He was pretty much synonymous with Las Vegas at the time.

#36 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

If nothing else, it would have been a far better showing from the Clash than the cumbersome  "London Calling" that was in DAD when Brosnan's plane approached London.  That was about as 'cringe-worthy' as when I heard Beatles' Revolution hawking Nike sneakers back years ago!

Really? "London Calling" in DAD remains one of my favorite moments in DAD. Really fantastic use of the song.

#37 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Really? "London Calling" in DAD remains one of my favorite moments in DAD. Really fantastic use of the song.

Yep, i loved it too.

#38 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

I'm going to come in with a couple of "counter" opinions.

Actually hate hearing London Calling showing up in DAD. I can't think of anything more incongruous than The Clash in a Bond film - it's about as apt as watching a man of my indeterminate middle-age rocking out to a song of his youth....

I'm actually more surprised at some of the acts that did do Bond songs in the 80s. While I love "All Time High" I always felt that Coolidge was a bit of a AOR/MOR choice. A-HA should never have been let anywhere near a Bond - they were (ultimately-proved) one-hit wonders and frankly the honour of doing a Bond-theme should go to someone who's paid their dues. While the choice of Coolidge has always seemed a conservative/middle-aged choice, there's no questioning her recording chops and resume. A-Ha were nothing more than a flash-in-the-pan.

As for the topic, always felt that Depeche Mode would have been a good choice.

#39 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

Love The Clash, love London Calling (the album and the song). They deserved to be featured in a much better Bond movie than DUD.

I'm surprised that Isaac Hayes was not asked to score LALD. He would have been a perfect fit for the blaxploitation aspect of the film. He was an Oscar winner for his Theme From Shaft. He could have even had an acting role in the film (one of the villains maybe?). But I guess when you get a Beatle to do your theme song, you don't turn him down. So the result was a great song by Sir Paul and a great score by Sir George Martin. So I'm pretty satisfied with what we got.

#40 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

One obvious choice that hasn't been mentioned yet is Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry. He and they had that lush, decadent sound that would have suited Bond very well in the 70s-80s.

#41 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

One obvious choice that hasn't been mentioned yet is Roxy Music or Bryan Ferry. He and they had that lush, decadent sound that would have suited Bond very well in the 70s-80s.

You thinking along these lines Rufus? When you mentioned Roxy Music on a Bond gig this is the first tune that came to mind... could imagine this being at the start of one of the Daltons...