8 replies to this topic

#1 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

After my Fleming marathon I was considering bypassing Gardner, Benson, et al, and going straight to the Young Bond books. As a fan of The Fast Show I've always liked Charlie Higson as an actor/comedian so the idea of reading something by him greatly appeals to me.

My daughters like Jacqueline Wilson books and stuff so I was hoping that I could get them into these. I'd rather they read these than Harry Potter you know?

My question is in the thread title... have at it people! 

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Given the age of your daughters I should think they'd still enjoy Harry Potter much more than Young Bond at the moment. And they are meant to enjoy it, aren't they? Reading is supposed to be fun, not a chore. Let them decide themselves if they rather have Rowling, Blyton, Dahl or Higson.

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

The Higsons are very good, but I'm with Dustin.  I think your daughters may enjoy Harry Potter more. 

#4 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

That's the rub. If my kids want to get into Harry Potter I wouldn't be churlish enough to stop them - but I'd never encourage it. I have certain issues with that franchise. But those issues are my own. If they want it they can have it, but I'd sooner not, if you know what I mean. 

#5 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

I have never read the young Bond books. Somehow I don't think Fleming would ever approved on those, or written books about Bond so called childhood adventures. It's just a commercial thing I suppose...?

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

You're missing out; they're tremendously good.

#7 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

Like the Moneypenny diaries they proved to be far better than any of the last three "adult" continuation novels. imho

#8 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

If they like Harry Potter, just let them read books. Given the age of your daughters from the type of  books they already enjoy. Most kids their age do like the Harry Potter books. The Young Bond books that depends on the individual kid do he or she  like it. The same goes for the Alex Rider books. My GUESS is when your daughters are older like 16 or17 they're going to read stuff like Hunger Game series, Percy Jackson books, The Infernal Devices series and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

The best is to let them pick what they like to read, so that they are reading and enjoy doing it. IF you force them to read what they might or might not like. Then it could make them back away from reading on their own time outside of school. They would NOT even read what kids their age like at all.

Edited by Syndicate, 11 October 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#9 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's the rub. If my kids want to get into Harry Potter I wouldn't be churlish enough to stop them - but I'd never encourage it. I have certain issues with that franchise. But those issues are my own. If they want it they can have it, but I'd sooner not, if you know what I mean. 

I'm interested to know what your 'issues' are?