10 replies to this topic

#1 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

So, I'm sure this is rubbish, but my roommate who works for a charter company out here in Kauai, told me that his boss just played golf with Daniel Craig on island. About a month ago, he came home and told me that Daniel Craig had just purchased a house in town. I have looked high and low online for any kind of information regarding. And, I think it might be rubbish, but my roommate is insisting that he has bought a house and is living here part time.

Any info?

#2 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

Well, he presumably has the funds to own several homes. And, there is absolutely no reason that his purchases or travel would be online, since it's his own business.

#3 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Lucky bastard.

#4 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Lucky bastard.

This

#5 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yeah really.... I would love to live in Kauai.

#6 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Its rubbish - he neither plays gold nor tennis or else. They just bought a new home in NY. ann have beyond that an estate uptown NY and one or two homes in England. The amount of houses he is inclined to have is amazing though. I counted about 15. Forget it..And Rachel with her porcellan teint ain't going anywhere, where there is too much sun.

#7 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

Brosnan lives on Kauai, FWIW.

#8 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Brosnan lives on Kauai, FWIW.

All these Bond actors look so similar it is easy to get confused. ;)

#9 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Wow. That would be super cool if true. I thought Brosnan had a place on Maui? Could be Kauai. Or since it's Brosnan he probably has places on both lol. I know he did an interview for one of the local mags that comes with the daily paper some time earlier this year. It would be cool to have two Bond's living in my home state. Makes sense though because we really are out in the middle of no where. And Hawaii really good privacy laws and lots of very secluded areas. Nice place to just enjoy life. 

If true I wonder if this could mean Bond 24 is coming to Hawaii? They just filmed parts of the new Godzilla here and there's the ongoing new Hawaii 5-0. A friend of mine actually delivered pizza to set of The Descendants and saw Clooney when they were filming at a house near the old Pali road. This was on Oahu. On Kauai there's Barking sands missile testing range. Almost like something out of Dr. No. Hawaii is like the epicenter of the US's missile defense shield. There's Pearl Harbor of course. Not to mention the whole Snowden fiasco started here. Lots of current or retired intelligence folk in Hawaii. I know that for a fact. Maybe Hawaii is finally going to appear proper in a Bond film. So far we've only been used/featured twice.  Once in YOLT and then they used Maui for the surfing sequence in DAD. Bond has yet to actually visit the islands in the films. Maybe that's gonna change. Probably more a case of when than if. I guess we'll see what the future holds.  

#10 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

Well, I think one of the reasons that Hawaii hasn't been featured recently is that it's perceived as less "exotic" than in times past. It's a place where many Americans go on pre-packaged holidays, and fairly convenient since no passport is required. Also, Magnum PI and Hawaii 5-0 made the island somewhat "common" on-screen during the 80s.

So, even though a place like Jamaica  or The Bahamas is closer to the U.S., perhaps a lot of the perception is that they are more exotic than the 50th state.

#11 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Well, I think one of the reasons that Hawaii hasn't been featured recently is that it's perceived as less "exotic" than in times past. It's a place where many Americans go on pre-packaged holidays, and fairly convenient since no passport is required. Also, Magnum PI and Hawaii 5-0 made the island somewhat "common" on-screen during the 80s.

So, even though a place like Jamaica  or The Bahamas is closer to the U.S., perhaps a lot of the perception is that they are more exotic than the 50th state.

I wouldn't say that Hawaii is perceived as "less exotic". Locations like Jamaica and The Bahamas are almost like second nature when it comes to Bond. When it comes to Bond cannon the Caribbean in general is practically part of the DNA and heritage of the character and stories. Outside of London I would say it where Bond seems most "at home". Makes sense that a lot of the films have been shot in the area. The producers probably have made relationships that date back to the time of Dr. No and Thunderball.

The way I see it, as long as Bond films are still being made, Hawaii as possible Bond location is not a matter of if but when. There could be number of reasons why Bond has yet to officially visit the Aloha state. For one none of the plots have really presented the opportunity to feature Hawaii without it seeming shoehorned in and also as I understand it until recently it was very, very, expensive to film in Hawaii, probably even more so for Bond with production usually based at Pinewood. For a long time the film industry in Hawaii was pretty much dead after the original 5-0 and Magnum PI ended, with only the odd big budget movie i.e Jurassic Park, Pearl Harbor shooting here. Lost kinda changed things for the better and far more productions are going on now. Bond's been to New York, New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, San Francisco and heck even Kentucky. I would love to see Bond in Honolulu. There is a massive underground railway/subway constructed under Oahu to the connect the various military bases and Pearl Harbor. Few in Hawaii are even aware that such a thing exists. They probably wouldn't be able to feature that. Might be too much like the underground scenes in Skyfall.