6 replies to this topic

#1 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

"What I did tonight was for king and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure do you?"

Watching Connery as Bond deliver this brilliant barbed retort to Fiona Volpe in Thunderball, I've always noticed that he has a slight look of what I can only describe as regret immediately afterwards.

Though it's a subtle reaction I usually thought he had that look because he thought he had been unnecessarily cruel, though as Paula had been killed, it may be that what he said wasn't entirely true and it was a guilty reaction.

Thoughts?

#2 Double Naught spy

Double Naught spy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

I think any regret you see on Connery's (007's) face is from the fact that he didn't plan on being so easily captured by Fiona and her SPECTRE goons after bedding her.  Clearly, being captured wasn't part of his plan.   Apparently that night, he was "just going with the flow" and confident enough his double-naught spy skills to escape any ensuing troubles that might arise. 

#3 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I think any regret you see on Connery's (007's) face is from the fact that he didn't plan on being so easily captured by Fiona and her SPECTRE goons after bedding her.  Clearly, being captured wasn't part of his plan.   Apparently that night, he was "just going with the flow" and confident enough his double-naught spy skills to escape any ensuing troubles that might arise. 

I feel, this is closer to the direct Bond's mind would have been working in...

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Bond faked it...

#5 sunset

sunset

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Knowing Connery's Bond, his biggest regret was that he was not going to be banging Fiona Volpe anymore! any

#6 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

I always interpreted that look as Bond giving her body a brief, cold glance, as if to say, yes, you're hot and we had an intense encounter, but to me it was just business.

#7 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Interesting responses. Thanks for those. Obviously Connery and Terence Young wanted that look to convey a message about what Bond had just said leaving the audience to make their own interpretation.