This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Mendes back in the running?

265 replies to this topic

Poll: Mendes back in the running? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

If reports of his talking to Eon are true, this is...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Mr. A Martin

Mr. A Martin

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sorry Friends, I am not jazzed by the thought of another film by Mr. Mendes. I waited for Skyfall to come out on DVD and I watched it again several times to try and see maybe what I had missed that would change my first Impression. I warmed a little to the film but it still ranks as dead last to me of the Daniel Craig films and somewhere in the middle to lower end of my favorite's list of Bond films. In the films defense I will say Mr.Mendes film has one of the finest Villians and a greater presentation of Mr. Bonds humanity; his weakness from his feeling betrayed by M and the vunerabilty of being human and growing older. (Sorry if this doesn't make much sense)

#62 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I was sorely disappointed when he initially declined -- I've never been a big fan of the "new director for each film" trend on account of it can be a very mixed bag (TWINE, DAD, QOS).

As much as I would like to see the next Bond sooner rather than later, I'm okay with waiting if it means a higher quality picture.  QOS was our last two-year gap and the execution of that one really made it seem like it was rushed (which it apparently was).

I think if Mendes could start pre-production within the next year and a half with an aim for a 2015 release, then that would be ideal.  I could hold out for 2016 but, like many have already said, I'd be worried that another 4-year gap could cut Craig's tenure as Bond short.

Dave

#63 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well lets not forget the writers strike that took place during production of QOS. I wonder if Mendes could have done as well as Forster did in his circumstance....

We know Mendes can direct a modest Bond film in 3/4 years, I'd like to see what he could do with the same time restraints Forster was up against...

#64 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Well, Mendes would probably spend less time effing around with fancy fonts, and manage to give us coherent action.

#65 Mr. A Martin

Mr. A Martin

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Skyfall editing could have been much better, which would have helped in the fight scenes. They looked to me to be dis-jointed. The fight choreograhy was less than stellar or perhaps not refined enough to look seamless, there seemed to be definite gaps..

#66 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Sorry Friends, I am not jazzed by the thought of another film by Mr. Mendes. I waited for Skyfall to come out on DVD and I watched it again several times to try and see maybe what I had missed that would change my first Impression. I warmed a little to the film but it still ranks as dead last to me of the Daniel Craig films and somewhere in the middle to lower end of my favorite's list of Bond films. In the films defense I will say Mr.Mendes film has one of the finest Villians and a greater presentation of Mr. Bonds humanity; his weakness from his feeling betrayed by M and the vunerabilty of being human and growing older. (Sorry if this doesn't make much sense)

Makes perfect sense to me. I agree with practically every word.

#67 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

I'd love for Mendes to return for Bond 24, but not if we have to wait until 2016. I'd love for Craig to do 3 more films, but not if he's too old-looking for the part. He still looked great in SkyFall, but another four years before he does even one more and it could be a different story.

At the end of the day, if they can't get the film out by Fall of 2015 at the latest with Mendes, find somebody else. Mendes can always come back for Bond 25.

#68 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Well, Mendes would probably spend less time effing around with fancy fonts, and manage to give us coherent action.

Agreed. The thing is, they we're so bent on trying to get a script ASAP for QOS, eventually being rushed and basically unfinished. In the long run, It took six writers: Neil Purvis, Robert Wade, Paul Haggis, Joshua Zetumer, Marc Forster, and Daniel Craig. And we all know what the finished product was.

#69 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

Sam Mendes: why James Bond is right to wait for the Skyfall director

http://www.guardian....s-bond-director

#70 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

Dry as ever, Sharky, and right on target!

#71 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

Sam Mendes: why James Bond is right to wait for the Skyfall director
http://www.guardian....s-bond-director

One of you guys is Ben Child...

#72 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:55 AM

Hmmm.....We'll see. Frankly, I was hoping for Nolan. But I'll be fine with Mendes again. CR remains my favorite of the Craig films.

Hopefully, 24 will be more of a straightforward Bond-on-a-mission thing.

#73 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

I suppose my first choices to direct would have been;

Kathryan Bigelow - is 66, so if they hired her it would be a one off sorta which I thought could have been exciting coming off The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty. 

Nolan - I want to see what he could do without so much creative control and completely relying on his directorial skills. 

but now that I have thought about it, I would rather have Mendes back then most other directors. Please Fincher, finish The Millennium Series.

I wonder if EON shared the rumor that they were 'in talks' with Christopher Nolan to persuade or frighten Mendes back into returning. If Nolan signed on Mendes might or could have lost out entirely on returning depending on the level of success of a Nolan Bond film and if Nolan returned or even did a trilogy. 

#74 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

I think Bigelow would deliver a good action thriller type of film. Still hope her and Mark Boal, or maybe just Boal get the film about the Tora Bora raid mission on Bin Laden made. That would be amazing. The thing with Nolan, is he relys too much on style, and if he goes to just solely direction skills, I fear the finished result will be below par like The Dark Knight Rises. Fincher isn't doing 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, due to Disney, he could easily do Bond, though I'd like to see The Girl Who Played With Fire.

#75 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

I think Bigelow would deliver a good action thriller type of film. Still hope her and Mark Boal, or maybe just Boal get the film about the Tora Bora raid mission on Bin Laden made. That would be amazing. The thing with Nolan, is he relys too much on style, and if he goes to just solely direction skills, I fear the finished result will be below par like The Dark Knight Rises. Fincher isn't doing 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, due to Disney, he could easily do Bond, though I'd like to see The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I would love Bigelow, but let's face it, it would never happen in a million years. I was actually beginning to warm to the idea of a Christopher Nolan Bond film. The guy clearly knows how to do action. While The Dark Knight Rises is a piece of crap (minus Anne Hathaway who is the only bright spot in the film), Inception, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are all very well done and incredibly action heavy. I think TDK is vastly overrated, but it is still a good film. With Nolan, I think he will eventually direct a Bond film and it's only a matter of when. The problem with him for 24, is that Interstellar is scheduled for around the original projected release timeframe of Bond 24: November 7, 2014. So he would be tied up until pretty much 2015, which is basically the same problem with Mendes.

I'd be fine with David Fincher. I think he would give us a similar film to Sam Mendes. I'm one of the few who didn't care for TGWTDT, but I do like The Social Network, Seven and Zodiac.

#76 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

The action in The Dark Knight Rises was crap. It was a lazily half-assed written and directed film. Inception is okay. It's kinda a somewhat rip of Dreamscape.

#77 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

I like Inception, even if it is pretty odd. Batman Begins is the best of TDK trilogy...and the only one that truly feels like a superhero movie.

#78 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Inception could've been better. Batman Begins is great, but The Dark Knight takes the cake. It wasn't like the other superhero films. It showed that, while Batman may have done the right things to save the day, in the end, the villain still won. There wasn't a happy ending. It was beautiful, and then The Dark Knight Rises came along.

#79 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

I love Batmen Begins is easily one of the favorite origin stories. Its a shame about Ledger, I wonder if he would have appeared in Rises... I also would have liked to see the return of Katy Homes. 

#80 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I wonder if EON shared the rumor that they were 'in talks' with Christopher Nolan to persuade or frighten Mendes back into returning. If Nolan signed on Mendes might or could have lost out entirely on returning depending on the level of success of a Nolan Bond film and if Nolan returned or even did a trilogy. 

Interesting idea, but I doubt Nolan would have 'taken' the franchise from Mendes (if such a thing is possible with Bond), but you might be right about talks with Nolan motivating Mendes to go into talks. 

However, if Mendes does return, it looks like it'll be more because the producers will wait for him to be ready rather than going ahead without him. From the sound of things, that'll be because they've gone through so many other directors who are unable (or unwilling?) to commit to Bond 24's schedule - so why not wait for Mendes anyway?

Or it's all just been a big circus put on by B&W to sate fans and Sony execs by looking at other directors but having every intention of waiting to get Mendes back into the fold.

Edited by RMc, 30 May 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#81 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

You can dislike Mendes, I am sure you're not the first but... S K Y F A L L ?

I do hope you gave your mother hell for that !

"She likes to think so." ;)

#82 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

My two-penneth, for what it's worth:-

1 - Bond 24 - released autumn 2015. I can't see the studio wanting it any later. I think it most likely regardless of who directs. A decent interval to get the story right, as much as anything else.

2 - It won't be "Skyfall Revisited". It might well include more peeks into Bond's psyche - no bad thing, so long as it doesn't dominate (Fleming himself had Bond reflect on the nature of his work, and why he kept doing it, from time to time in the original novels.) But I think the story will be a more traditional one. I've said it before in these forums that while we've had previous Bond films tipping the hat in the direction of FRWL, GF or YOLT, it's a while since we had a "Bond against the ticking clock" story in the style of TB. I'd like to see Craig's Bond tackle that kind of adventure in number 24 - and, if 25 is his final film, tracking down the mastermind behind 24's plot in that movie. And if that sounds like a two part "SPECTRE revisited" storyline, I wouldn't complain!

#83 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Interesting idea, but I doubt Nolan would have 'taken' the franchise from Mendes (if such a thing is possible with Bond), but you might be right about talks with Nolan motivating Mendes to go into talks. 

However, if Mendes does return, it looks like it'll be more because the producers will wait for him to be ready rather than going ahead without him. From the sound of things, that'll be because they've gone through so many other directors who are unable (or unwilling?) to commit to Bond 24's schedule - so why not wait for Mendes anyway?

Or it's all just been a big circus put on by B&W to sate fans and Sony execs by looking at other directors but having every intention of waiting to get Mendes back into the fold.

I'll be impressed with Mendes if he can deliver Bond 24 by 2015. It has been a circus. I think EON feared me in submission with Mendes with a 4 year wait. 3 years, doesn't seem all that bad. 

My two-penneth, for what it's worth:-

1 - Bond 24 - released autumn 2015. I can't see the studio wanting it any later. I think it most likely regardless of who directs. A decent interval to get the story right, as much as anything else.

2 - It won't be "Skyfall Revisited". It might well include more peeks into Bond's psyche - no bad thing, so long as it doesn't dominate (Fleming himself had Bond reflect on the nature of his work, and why he kept doing it, from time to time in the original novels.) But I think the story will be a more traditional one. I've said it before in these forums that while we've had previous Bond films tipping the hat in the direction of FRWL, GF or YOLT, it's a while since we had a "Bond against the ticking clock" story in the style of TB. I'd like to see Craig's Bond tackle that kind of adventure in number 24 - and, if 25 is his final film, tracking down the mastermind behind 24's plot in that movie. And if that sounds like a two part "SPECTRE revisited" storyline, I wouldn't complain!

I love it. And hey, it could happen. This could be what Logan's two-film story arc could be, right?

#84 Thevan7F

Thevan7F

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

My guess? 2016 we'll see the film.

How long will we be waiting?

My thoughts exactly. As much as I love Skyfall, I don't feel like "waiting out" Mendes' other commitments. Especially if that would result in Bond 24 being Craig's final outing (despite his contract reportedly being for two more).

If it ends up that we have to wait until 2016, I would rather have someone else direct. Sam Mendes is committed to his stage projects, which is great for him. Let him do those, while Chris Nolan or someone else directs Bond 24. After all that, if Mendes wants to return for Bond 25 or 26 I will be waiting with open arms. But the last thing I want for the Bond franchise (aside from Lee Tamahori) is another 4 year gap between films.

To each his own, as for the release date. Still hoping 2015 comes to fruition and not 2016.

If it ends up being 2016, then something has got to give. Whether that be EON severing ties with MGM or allowing Babs or Michael to move on, they need to do something different to avoid all of these long lulls between films: 6 between LTK and GE, 3 between TWINE and DAD, 4 between DAD and CR, 4 between QoS and SF and probably 3-4 between SF and Bond 24.

I agree I hope next year 2014 to 2015. I don't  wait in 2016 it will me & Daniel Craig. Remember how it will The Timothy Dalton era

Edited by Thevan7F, 30 May 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#85 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

2015 seems to be perfect. I think we shouldn't be optimist waiting for Bond 24 in 2014, it's too early and not favorable.

A Movie like in the 60s, why not ? Back of SPECTRE ? I'm seduced.

I really think Bond 24 and Bond 25 will be a two-part movie, more or less like CR-QoS but if it's the case, Bond 25 should be ready one year later.

Five movies for Craig before 2016 : the mission is accomplished !

#86 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

If one wants to believe the rumors on the net about another director that was approached, there is already a script.

Which would mean that development of Bond 24 has proceeded much further than I thought.

#87 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Good point, SAF: it's been a long while since Logan was said to be working on the script. It only takes a couple of months at most to write the early drafts of these things. It's the rewrites that stretch the writing out, as there's lots of fine-tuning.

That would explain the sudden burst of news regarding directors: EON and Logan must be happy with a script, and they need a director ASAP to work on the final drafts to have a shooting script, which would suggest they want a late 2013/early 2014 start for principle photography, as Ben Whishaw said.

But if Mendes really is returning...have they thrown their plan out of the window? Or is he reconsidering his schedule? Or is his return just a rumour?

Edited by RMc, 30 May 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#88 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Roger Friedman, a very well connect show biz journalist, (Remember him, he knew the lyrics to Skyfall well before it was released?) is saying...

“Sam Mendes is the definite director of Bond 24 and most likely Bond 25.” his sources have confirmed it as a done deal.

http://www.showbiz41...4-and-likely-25

#89 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Now that would be quite interesting, Mendes doing the next (last) two Craig Bonds - and Nolan introduces the new Bond in Bond 26?

#90 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Roger Friedman, a very well connect show biz journalist, (Remember him, he knew the lyrics to Skyfall well before it was released?) is saying...

“Sam Mendes is the definite director of Bond 24 and most likely Bond 25.” his sources have confirmed it as a done deal.

http://www.showbiz41...4-and-likely-25

Excellent!! I saw this online last night and remembered that Friedman was the one who was spot on with breaking the news about Adele.. Welcome back Sam Mendes indeed!! :D