This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Any insight on a possible project would be great!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

So, as of earlier today, I've decided I'd like to recreate (as closely as possible) an attire from The World Is Not Enough.

More specifically, This jacket: 

Renard2.jpg

I was just wondering if anybody here was military-clothing savvy and/or would know where I could find a similarly-based jacket that I could apply the reflective strips and patches to? Any and help is appreciated! 

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 17 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm not sure that one is a military-based jacket, looks more like something you might find in the working clothes department of a DIY warehouse or the uniform of the local rubbish collection or the public works department. Especially the reflective stripes suggest the jacket originates from some kind of outdoor traffic involvement.

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Is it a jacket or the top part of a boiler suit?

As Dustin suggests, a work-oriented clothing store may be the best place to start.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Another thought: airfield staff garment perhaps.

#5 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Well I did a bit more digging and it seems your hunches were correct.

As far as the base jacket goes, I have found some that look pretty similar to the one in the film through safety sites and such!

Once I decide on one, I'll be sure to post here to see what you guys think. Thanks again! 

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 19 May 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#6 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

So, I've narrowed things down considerably:

7SeSGyt.jpg

LEFT:

This coat on the left is considerably lighter, which is a plus (as I intend to wear this piece once finished).

However, it only comes in black.

It is a bit cheaper (I'd need to buy the reflective material separate however).

The pockets, shoulder gussets, zipper all the way up etc. are very similar to the original.

This will ship from a town within my own state (quick turn around time).

RIGHT:

Coat is much heavier (as it is a legitimate safety garment).

This coat is navy/blue (like the original).

It is a bit more pricey (but comes with the reflective material attached).

May be a bit too much reflective material?

Button-up rather than zipper-up.

Needed to be shipped from out of country.

With these things in mind, which one should I go with?

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 20 May 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

No idea how far into reproducing the TWINE-look you are prepared to go. The second version seems to have only the reflective material going for it, but too much and in the wrong places. Stripping that and changing it to fit the original is probably some work; surely more than adapting the first coat would be. Shame about the colour though.

EDIT: Plus I think the TWINE original is just that, some jacket/coat with some reflective applications done by the production design team. There is a photo of Brosnan wearing the same model, holding Renard at gunpoint. You can clearly see the stripes on the upper arms are just for frontal view and don't actually go around the whole sleeve. Which for real security purposes makes absolutely zero sense; the stripes would go around the entire garment.

Edited by Dustin, 20 May 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#8 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, Dustin. I concur. 

I believe the reflective material on the second option is a bit much. Like you said, it is a shame that the first option only comes in black but, I think for the price and the possibilities, I can overlook that point. I believe I will be going with the first option and will apply the stitched reflective material myself. For sense purposes, I think I will attach stripes around the whole arm, as I said before I do plan on wearing this piece. 

As for the Russian atomic logos on the back and pocket, I have a friend with immense talent in the graphic arts department that may be able to whip something up for me. I will undoubtedly have to get the jacket patches custom-made, as I intend to get things very close.

EDIT: I plan to be back with updates, as soon as the coat begins to materialize! 

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 21 May 2013 - 01:23 AM.