120 replies to this topic

#121 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Bear in mind Nolan is still a young gun as directors go, he's still at the start of his career and is likely to direct and/or produce for another 20 - 25 years. Plenty of time for him to have a go, if he's still game.

Personally I'm not sold on Nolan being the end-all director for a Bond film. Visually he's often splendid. But while I wouldn't go as far as some with accusing him of nihilism - what? - I agree that his films tend to feel a bit hollow after the initial hype has petered out. About his Batman vision I liked the closure the most, the rest I've almost forgotten by now. INCEPTION is a cgi/sfx-fest with a nifty little open end which I like a lot. But does it really make the most of its philosophical themes of reality and what we perceive as real? I'm not sure there. Could be it's just wearing these elements to justify its visual effects and doesn't care at all about the fate of its characters.

The one film by Nolan I like the most is easily INSOMNIA, but that one has Pacino/Williams going for it, as well as an original idea from outside the usual Hollywood circles. Who is to say how Nolan will develop over the next decade? I'm not at all averse to him having a go at Bond, I just think it's perhaps not a bad thing he won't do so right now. 

He was directing Al Pacino over ten years ago, he really isn't at the start of his career any more.

Hehe, I see where you're coming from Dustin, describing Nolan as a young gun, but I wonder at what stage in his career you put Terence Malick? ;) Age isn't everything....

Malick is a bit hard to pin-point ;)