56 replies to this topic

#1 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Reports in the media this week that 24 could be returning as a limited series on Fox, with Kiefer Sutherland in talks to return.

http://www.deadline....rland-in-talks/

I'm always in favour of more Jack Bauer, particularly as the movie idea appeared to fizzle out, but am wary of how this may turn out.

#2 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

This makes sense after the success of The Following, which follows a similar format, and the cancellation of 'Touch' added to the continuing international sales of the show....

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

FOX is making a mistake here.  They've already cancelled 24 once.  It's best to keep moving forward and developing new ideas instead of going back to something that has already passed its expiration date in an effort to boost sagging ratings.  Instead of reviving 24, why not just develop a new action series? 

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

FOX is making a mistake here.  They've already cancelled 24 once.  It's best to keep moving forward and developing new ideas instead of going back to something that has already passed its expiration date in an effort to boost sagging ratings.  Instead of reviving 24, why not just develop a new action series? 

Agreed.

Unfortunately, in today´s climate it´s not originality that counts. It´s all about brands. And 24, even though I would say it has already faded from the audience´s radar, is obviously considered a brand that can be revived.

I don´t think this will survive more than one season.

http://www.hollywood...as-event-521653

... but FOX obviously holds high hopes for this. I especially like the quote about how a two hour movie just could not be "24". But obviously a 12 hour series is.

What the exec really thought: "We will not finance 24 episodes when we can cash in spending only half of it. Also, the producers already told us: It´s extremely difficult to come up with another season since we already extended the original run by more than what was creatively sound."

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 13 May 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#5 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

An update with confirmation and more detail from Fox's entertainment chairman:

http://www.deadline....-more-fox-news/

12 episodes, slated for summer 2014. The proposed title is 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY. Hmm...

BKLO3V3CcAEDTBS.jpg

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

The more they talk about this, the more of a joke it sounds like.  I find it a bit sad, and this is coming from someone who has maybe watched a grand total of 1 episode of 24, that they're taking a once proud franchise and bringing it back only to air it in the TV wasteland that is the summer.  Of course, they're doing this under the guise of this new "year-round" scheduling format, but one has to wonder why they'd choose to launch this new concept with a show they've already cancelled.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

I used to be a heavy 24-addict, but over the years the show jumped several sharks and now I just don't care any more. I still must have season seven unwatched in one of my cupboards. Frankly, what for would one go back to 24 for? The realtime element seems pretty passé by now, so that's not really a motive. And the character of Bauer has seen almost every possible plot you can tell within that series' premise over and over again, so Bauer's not all that interesting any more. The CTU? The only organization where active mole duty for foreign and domestic terrorists is part of the job qualification. That leaves Chloe O'Brian.

#8 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Mod note: title changed.

#9 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

The more they talk about this, the more of a joke it sounds like.  I find it a bit sad, and this is coming from someone who has maybe watched a grand total of 1 episode of 24, that they're taking a once proud franchise and bringing it back only to air it in the TV wasteland that is the summer.  Of course, they're doing this under the guise of this new "year-round" scheduling format, but one has to wonder why they'd choose to launch this new concept with a show they've already cancelled.

The BBC has shows that come around every so often, why can't FOX do the same?

Yes, they cancelled the show, but to me it was to eliminate the conflict of doing a movie.  They severely wanted to do a movie, but the show was preventing them to have the time to do it.  Eventually, they decided that the movie wasn't going to happen so they decided to bring those ideas likely to what will become a new miniseries.  Nothing wrong with continuing on with something so popular, and as the final half of Season 8 proved, still has quite vital creatively.

#10 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Does it have that really?

I was a huge fan of 24. But I became more and more annoyed at the storylines that got repeated (i.e. the inside mole, Jack being hurt and miraculously recovering, people thought dead coming back, the attack on CTU).

The series is creatively burnt out, IMO. This is all just another cash-in for FOX, the producers and Mr. Sutherland.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 15 May 2013 - 05:22 AM.

#11 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Would have loved to see that 24 movie, but now that it's not moving ahead, I don't feel like going back to do a TV series is necessary. Either make the movie or let 24 rest in peace. One of my favorite TV shows ever, but let it be.

#12 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

I used to be a heavy 24-addict, but over the years the show jumped several sharks and now I just don't care any more. I still must have season seven unwatched in one of my cupboards. Frankly, what for would one go back to 24 for? The realtime element seems pretty passé by now, so that's not really a motive. And the character of Bauer has seen almost every possible plot you can tell within that series' premise over and over again, so Bauer's not all that interesting any more. The CTU? The only organization where active mole duty for foreign and domestic terrorists is part of the job qualification. That leaves Chloe O'Brian.

Same! I used to love 24 and season 5 of 24 is probably one of my favorite TV seasons ever then after that though the seasons went downhill. Personally I wish the series finale would have allowed Jack to be with his family because for all that he has done with his country he should have been given a happy ending. I am a little worried that this show is coming back on TV because it really wasn't that good towards the end but we shall see I suppose.

#13 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

There are big followers of the show who still want the show to keep going like with a miniseries or limited series. IF not at least hurry up with big screen movie  already. I don't watch the show, only have checked like two or three episodes.

#14 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Not a lot of new information on this recently, except that it will have "an international setting", and Mary Lynn Rajskub will return as Chloe.

#15 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

....it will have "an international setting"....

I hope that just means it will be located away from the US in a single location/country, rather than have Jack globe trotting to several international locations.  

24 is such a strong format because it's been strictly defined by the limitations of 'real time'. 'Globe trotting' would be seriously threaten the format's plausibility and it'd be completely undermined if he takes flights that are going to use up time  --  are we gonna spend an hour or two with Jack as he watches an inflight movie?

Of course i suppose they could turn the flight into part of the action - hostage situation, or a terrorist threat etc. but it'll need to be pretty special, emphasising how Jack [ruthlessly/selflessly] deals with it as opposed to the plethora of other movie/tv characters who don't rely upon real-time story telling.

My fear is that this would feel contrived in order to provide the gimmick of Jack moving from one country to another a significant distance away (i.e England, France or Africa (perhaps Egypt/Iran) to China or Russia etc)....

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 10 August 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#16 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

Interesting report from TVLine: Kim Raver is said to be close to agreeing a deal to return as Audrey Raines in 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY.

http://tvline.com/20...ve-another-day/

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

So they really want to go ahead with this?

#18 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Probably because they could not get the movie off the ground.

#19 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

^ This.

Who thinks this will suck???

*raises hand

#20 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Incidentally there's news about this in Variety: http://variety.com/2...on-1200691611/

Bauer in London may have the odd SKYFALL-tribute.

Edited by Dustin, 03 October 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#21 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

That's great. Hopefully I'll be able to get to some of the London filming.

In other news, TV Line says William Devane will be returning as James Heller. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict he'll now be based in London as the US Ambassador to the UK.

#22 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

I´m wondering what they can do storywise that has not already been done again and again in the previous seasons.

Still, I will be watching, I must admit.

#23 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Michael Wincott joins the cast as Adrian - "a charismatic hacker and a leader of the free information movement".

http://insidetv.ew.c...1/19/24-hacker/

Suppose 24 indulging in a WikiLeaks storyline was to be expected...

#24 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Too much hate around here??

I liked 24 and all of its "forms", so I have hope in new Jack Bauer´s adventures. Great character!

#25 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Although I still think that they would have been better off just creating a new action series rather than reviving an already cancelled product, I might have to give the new 24 a chance given the casting news that was released today.

Yvonne Strahovski joins 24: Live Another Day

thanks to coco1997 for the heads-up on this

Strahovski will play Kate Morgan, a "brilliant but impulsive" CIA operative who is described as, in a separate article, as "smart and relentless, and not just a woman with a gun."

It was also revealed that the show will make its return on May 5, 2014.

#26 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Good for her to star in a rather high profile show - although I am very conflicted about the revival of "24".  What can this endeavor do what hasn´t already been done by the show more than once?

#27 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

I'm still not totally on board for a revival of 24 either (why not just do something brand new?), but I'm moreso in favor of it now if for no other reason than it represents an opportunity now for Strahovski to save her career.  It sounds like hers will be a major role on the show, and she needs to parlay that into something else, as her only other upcoming project (this month's dreadful-looking I, Frankenstein) looks like the kind of project that could further damage her career.

#28 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

I love Jack Bauer as a character. Why could not he return?

One of the problems of the series was to make 24 episodes every season. Now that we are talking of 12, I think we have one error solved...

(Edit: of course, NOT Jack Ryan, but Jack Bauer. Sorry.)

Edited by ggl, 14 January 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#29 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Jack Ryan does return (see "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" in theaters).

Concerning "24", I have doubts about whether 12 episodes work better.  They surely have less filler material - but still, "24" had become stuck creatively at least after season 4.  How many more times can Jack Bauer scream into his cell?  How many more times can he beat someone to pulp in order to secure information?  How many more moles can be discovered within CTU?  How many more "girlfriends" can Jack lose?  How many more times can Jack Bauer be called back into service?

I believe these problems cannot be solved.  But in today´s media climate they don´t matter.  It´s all about the branding.  I´m sure you could have done a brand new take on the thriller genre which would have been deserving of the audience´s attention.  But the brand "Jack Bauer" is more important for pre-selling and to assure executives that people will know what they are getting.

#30 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I believe these problems cannot be solved.  But in today´s media climate they don´t matter.  It´s all about the branding.  I´m sure you could have done a brand new take on the thriller genre which would have been deserving of the audience´s attention.  But the brand "Jack Bauer" is more important for pre-selling and to assure executives that people will know what they are getting.

That is indeed all that matters in this media climate.  Just look at what NBC is doing right now.  They have a lot of these shows either already on the air or in the pipeline, with Dracula, Hannibal, and Grimm already on the air, and a pilot for a Constantine series being approved yesterday.  

If yesterday's announcement had been that FOX was creating a brand new, original spy series featuring Keifer Sutherland and Yvonne Strahovski, I'd be totally on board.  It would sound like something that would be a very worthwhile investment for FOX, and something that would have a very good chance for success.  But simply dragging Jack Bauer and 24 back for more, after having been cancelled several years ago, just brings with it a lot of baggage, as you stated above.  It stands to question just how many terrible days like this one man could possibly have.  I think that they're already stretched the limits of one's belief already with the series.