46 replies to this topic

#31 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

"I never miss."  You can't beat that.  007 and Electra's relationship was the longest portrayed on screen. He kills her in front of M.

"That's why the zero's double. Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.'

#32 The Krynoid man

The Krynoid man

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I've always been fond of this one, it's nice to see it being appreciated.

I will admit Denise Richards was terrible and the "Christmas only comes once a year" line is just crass and not funny at all.

#33 Belmont

Belmont

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

After being lukewarm toward the film in the years since its release, I've come to realize that TWINE does indeed have its charms. 

I think it's one of the better post-Dalton Bond films, even though it has its share of problems. The thing is, none of them are remotely as dealbreaking as those in DAD or QoS. 

I'm especially fond of the opening sequence. Bond jumping out of that window and being suspended by that cord is just pure Bond style and silliness in the best of ways.

#34 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Robert Carlyle was sorely underutilized in TWINE. In Trainspotting he was genuinely frightening. Here his big scary entrance is fondling a hot rock.

TWINE had a great premise and could have been very interesting. As it is, I thought the execution was pretty weak. Bottom 5 for me, I'm afraid.

#35 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I've been a long-time defender of TWINE, but even I feel myself slipping under the weight of the many, legitimate, criticisms that are fired its way. So while I know that what I say next should be met with a barrage of "it wasn't, it didn't, it failed" etc, I will say this for TWINE.

It tried to be something more than the usual Bond-film, and its "failings" shouldn't detract from that motivation. Because ultimately, too many films in the series have been, IMHO, nothing more than a version of the one before. I know that for most, that doesn't make it better/easier viewing, but for me, it was a sign that the series knew that it had to evolve. 

#36 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've been a long-time defender of TWINE, but even I feel myself slipping under the weight of the many, legitimate, criticisms that are fired its way. So while I know that what I say next should be met with a barrage of "it wasn't, it didn't, it failed" etc, I will say this for TWINE.

It tried to be something more than the usual Bond-film, and its "failings" shouldn't detract from that motivation. Because ultimately, too many films in the series have been, IMHO, nothing more than a version of the one before. I know that for most, that doesn't make it better/easier viewing, but for me, it was a sign that the series knew that it had to evolve. 

I see what you're saying and can understand where that impression could be made. But wasn't the Dalton era a better attempt at this, and in retrospect one that's held up better? One of the glaring flaws I see in TWINE is that Bond is basically played for a fool in it. I kept thinking Connery and Moore wouldn't have been duped the way the Brosnan Bond was. Does that really make for a better story? I'm not saying I want Super Bond, but not one whose feelings cloud his professional instincts either.

I felt let down by TWINE's unevenness and ultimately boring experience from the day I first saw it and it still ranks at the bottom for me. As dtuba says above, it's the execution. It often plays like a Moore era movie grafted onto a Craig era movie. One moment you're discussing Stockholm Syndrome and the next you have Robbie Coltrane diving into a vat of caviar. For all their flaws, I much prefer something like OP, where the more serious scenes stand out despite the Tarzan yells and "sit!" interruptions.

I may not rank TWINE so low if it had something that stood out and it just doesn't. It commits the cardinal sin a Bond film should never commit and that's being boring. Yes, some of the films seemed to be remakes of earlier films, but at least I had fun watching TND. TWINE's action is the least interesting in the entire series. The ski chase is so choreographed it's like the stunt man goes by explosions timed to go off just as he passes. I get that impression every time I've seen the film. Not to mention the previously mentioned caviar factory sequence and what I find the least interesting final confrontation in the series.

When you can't get that satisfaction out of a Bond film then it's a sign of trouble,. Whereas I am so grateful to the new direction in that the action still stands out, but in a case of something like CR, less was definitely more and the lackluster action of TWINE couldn't compensate from its execution and story.

#37 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Turn,

I don't disagree and your point about the Dalton-era is well-made. Maybe how I feel about TWINE is coloured by how I felt about TND. Unlike most, including yourself, I was very disappointed in TND. I felt that the Bond-sheen re-introduced by GE was replaced by an extremely competent (technically) action film, but for me, a generic action film nonetheless. In the same way that I know people who can't stand QoS (another film like TWINE, that I'm more than comfortable defending) dislike it because it was "shake-cam Bourne not Bond", I found TND an underwhelming knock-off.

Hence, I was pleased that TWINE made an attempt to change direction. It could have been all too-easy for EON to have churned out another TND (and in TWINE's lacklustre action you still feel the film-makers need to sate that appetite). That they didn't at least acknowledged that the series was more than a tick-the-boxes assembly line that it had become (pre TD).

#38 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Best parts of TWINE:

The opening scene with the banker.

The underground facility where Bond first meets Renard (particularly the bullet proof glass)

Best of all, this piece of dialogue (from memory):

Electra:

"You can't kill me, you'll miss me too much..."

--Bond shoots Electra in the heart...

Bond:

"I never miss."

That's very Bond   ;)

But it's hard to salvage this film from the dull submarine finale - it's been known since the dawn of time that swimming underwater provides the dullest onscreen action - just look at TB (and i can't believe they did 'boring' all over again with NSNA!!!).

And so much for Renard's mythical immunity from pain - he held a hot rock and let Electra get a bit S&M with him, but apart from that...?!  Surely that should've played in integral role in his final confrontation with Bond.

Ultimately it was just a marketing gimmick for the trailers.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 07 September 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#39 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

And so much for Renard's mythical immunity from pain - he held a hot rock and let Electra get a bit S&M with him, but apart from that...?!  Surely that should've played in integral role in his final confrontation with Bond.

Ultimately it was just a marketing gimmick for the trailers.

I'd have to agree here. Renard could have been one of the best characters of the series. Robert Carlyle was the perfect choice.

The look was on point, and Carlyle's ruthlessness, kidnapper/anarchist profile, and tone were all fantastic. It is just a shame the character wasn't written differently and that his key distinguishing feature seemed to be merely a 'marketing gimmick' as it was said.

What an almost total waste of Robert Carlyle as the ruthless, psychotic Renard... It is my biggest grip about the film in all honesty. 

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 12 September 2013 - 02:03 AM.

#40 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

I think Electra makes up for Renard's boring personality. It was cool to see a woman villain that was as evil as her. Killing her own father.. that's pretty selfish.

#41 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

my favorite Brosnan 007 movie after Goldeneye of course.

I think this one really has its charms, but could've been soooooooo much better I agree. The villain was not really well developed, dr christmas a truly dumb character.

I loved the locations, the pre-titles sequence with the cigar girl, sophie marceau is so gorgeous in the movie.

#42 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I've always liked TWINE. It certainly is Brosnans second best Bond film and better than OP, AVTAK or LTK. Denise Richards certainly cannot act, the film might've worked better without her character, but she isn't as bad as Halle Berry.

#43 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'd agree with you there, I prefer Richards over Berry. 

I was always disappointed with the casting in TWINE. I thought GE and TND did a great job in that respect but TWINE just rubbed me the wrong way. 

Dennis Richards, what was she popular for again? Going topless in WILD THINGS (1998) I believe. Oh and STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997) I suppose. 

Robert Carlyle (Renard) I never even heard off before or since and Sophie Marceau (Elektra) I've only seen in BRAVEHEART but never liked her then either.

#44 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Robert Carlyle (Renard) I never even heard off before or since and Sophie Marceau (Elektra) I've only seen in BRAVEHEART but never liked her then either.

Carlyle was in Trainspotting. He made a big name for himself. Marceau is a justly acclaimed French actress. You're a Canuck, right? You do have French language tv stations on the dial that show her movies all the time.

#45 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

I was 13 years old when TWINE came out. So I hadn't seen Trainspotting and I didn't and still do not watch the french channel. Canadian's have 2 official languages but the majority of us speak English and not all Canadians speak French either. 

Bond films were becoming more of a family outing and an event. I think the film could benefited from a more family friendly cast. My 2 cents anyway. 

#46 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I saw "The World Is Not Enough" on EPIX a few nights ago. It's the first time I have watched it all the way through since its theatrical release in 1999 and imagine my surprise when I actually quite liked it. Sure it has some faults:

• Slowest bullet in the world
  • A limp boring villain
  • All that nonsense in the submarine at the end
  • Worst most uninspired snow action sequence in the series

But the pros definitely outweigh the cons:

• Fantastic chase on the Thames
  • Bernard Lee portrait at MI6 base
  • A Scottish castle serving as MI6 base - classic
  • Return of Robbie Coltrane
  • Denise Richards - horribly miscast yes, but very easy on the eyes. I recall one CBNer who claimed TWINE to be his favorite 007 movie purely on the fact Richards was in it.
  • Sophie M. - thank goodness she didn't listen to her boyfriend who reportedly warned her 007 was beneath her.

All in all, I surprised myself. This movie ranked at the very bottom of the series in my rankings but now I would place it above "Quantum of Solace".

I've always rated it, and still enjoy it for the reasons you mention. Nice to see you on here, Dlibrasnow

I've always rated it, and still enjoy it for the reasons you mention. Nice to see you on here, Dlibrasnow

l've always rated it and still enjoy it for the reasons you mention.

Great to see you on here again, DLibrasnow.

_

#47 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Good point about it being above QOS.