97 replies to this topic

#91 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I think 2016 would surprise me much more than 2014. I think October/November 2015 seems the safest bet, and what I've been expecting.

I agree. The pre-production seems to be well underway, and I'm sure we know who the director is by Christmas.

And the title as well, I hope.

Edited by Walecs, 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#92 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

For whatever reason I can't seem to picture Spielberg directing a Bond film.

Me neither. And I'm not sure that Spielberg directing a Bond film would even be all that desirable. Yes, he's a giant of cinema. Sure, he's probably made more masterpieces than any other living director. On the other hand, his track record as a director of franchise fodder and sequels isn't particularly impressive (in terms of quality, anyway) - who's to say that a Spielberg Bond wouldn't turn out like THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN, INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL or THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK?

Would depend upon whether he's in good form or not. He can be genius, but he's also got the ability for pedestrian.

#93 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I must admit I liked TINTIN very much (although I do not care for 3D). I also loved parts of CRYSTAL SKULL (I guess you just notice that too many cooks were in that kitchen for too long a time, and when they all knew they could not postpone any longer they rushed that script into production). And THE LOST WORLD is, IMO, brilliant until they get off the island.

Basically, I think Spielberg would bring visual grandeur to Bond, brilliant setpieces and a perfect atmosphere. I also would love to hear John Williams do a Bond score ;-)

But, alas, this will hardly happen.

#94 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well, at Eon House not all hope is gone:

http://commanderbond...endes-back.html

If I were in charge of these things (which, sadly, I'm not) I'd get Martin Campbell back for BOND 24 and then Mendes for BOND 25.

My hunch, though, is that the director of BOND 24 will be someone new to the series.

#95 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

No, it's probably a very far out idea. Still, one wonders...

#96 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well, at Eon House not all hope is gone:

http://commanderbond...endes-back.html

If I were in charge of these things (which, sadly, I'm not) I'd get Martin Campbell back for BOND 24 and then Mendes for BOND 25.

My hunch, though, is that the director of BOND 24 will be someone new to the series.

I only see this now. Campbell I don't think is a serious contender any more. I suspect some of his comments didn't sit well. Would he be available at all? I seem to remember reading something about him gradually fading into retirement. Though he's not know for being the busiest of directors, seems to like having a stretch of holidays.

I feel sure the studio side of things would love having the wheels rolling soonest. But it's tricky this time and I don't see Eon taking this decision lightly. Having Logan already working on not one but two scripts is probably as far as they will go without having a director signed - a director of Eon's choosing. 

Yet I think it won't take that long, surely there must be some names who already signalled they'd be up for it if Eon called. Some of them will no doubt chicken out after what SKYFALL achieved for the series in sheer monetary terms, some will probably also not want to face the flak BOND 24 will likely attract after all and sundry on the critics front supposedly loved Mendes' film. But those who cannot deal with this kind of pressure are probably not fitting for Bond in the first place, so that's just separating wheat from chaff.      

#97 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

He's not exactly a spring chicken.  He's 69 now so he'd probably be 70 when shooting starts.  That could factor into everyone's decisions.

#98 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

I seen this and felt ill. I'd hate for Bond 24 to be delayed because they have no where to film.

James Bond franchise could be forced to move from UK home in Pinewood

Pinewood studios, the official home of the 007 films, requires major injection of funds to keep UK film industry afloat

The James Bond film franchise could be forced to move its base from the UK after more than 50 years, unless the greenlight is given for a dramatic increase in studio facilities in the space-starved movie industry, the head of Pinewood Shepperton has warned.

Pinewood Studios is the official home of the 007 spy franchise – of the 23 Bond films shot since Dr No debuted in 1962 only Moonraker and License to Kill have not been based there – and enjoys a close association with the Broccoli family that produces the films.

The 100-acre site in south Buckinghamshire is littered with reminders including the famous 007 stage, the location of the M16 bunker and tube disaster scene in Skyfall, a Goldfinger Avenue and a road named after late Bond producer Cubby Broccoli.

On Wednesday Pinewood will be told by the South Buckinghamshire District Council whether it has been granted planning permission for the £200m development of 100 acres of greenbelt land it owns.

The company said that the development, which would double the size of the complex over the next 10 years, is necessary if the UK film industry is to continue to compete with Hollywood and emerging markets as the base for blockbuster films and major TV productions.

"We're at capacity, the UK is at capacity, something has to give," said Ivan Dunleavy, chief executive of Pinewood. "If we as a sector don't respond to the growing demand then someone else will. [The producers of the Bond films] have to be financially responsible. If they get a better proposal elsewhere than the UK can mount then they have to look after their business as well."

Dunleavy added that with the UK government introducing tax relief for high-end TV productions – Pinewood is the third largest provider of facilities for television shows in the country – saying no to expansion is not an option.

"The kind of TV they are talking about is Band of Brothers and Game of Thrones and those are made in an almost identical way to a feature film," he said. "In that sense it is another reason why the UK needs to think quite a lot about capacity, both in terms of physical infrastructure and skills."

Sam Mendes, the director of Skyfall, warned that the strong bond between the studio and the film franchise cannot be taken for granted.

"Pinewood is the spiritual home of James Bond and the two franchises have enjoyed a long-standing relationship," he said. "Tradition, however, is not enough on its own. I am convinced of the need for Pinewood to keep on expanding to offer filmmakers the best facilities possible."

Dunleavy has faced years of resistance in attempting to push through plans for the ambitious, and controversial, expansion.

The original plan submitted in 2006 proposed creating 16 streetscapes – including a permanent Venice canal, Parisian square and brownstone New York apartments - accompanied by a residential development of up to 1,400 apartments and houses.

The housing element sparked huge local resistance, spawning a Stop Project Pinewood campaigning group. Communities minister Eric Pickles eventually blocked the original plan last January.

"What we failed to convince people about was the idea that [the streetscapes] should be linked with residential," Dunleavy said. "There is no residential in the new application. In that sense I think it is conceptually easier to understand. We hope the local planners will see our arguments."

He highlighted financial incentives including 3,000 new jobs ("that means quite a lot in today's economy") and a predicted £150m-a-year boost to the UK economy.

Dunleavy's plan, which has cost the company almost £8m from 2006 to mid-2011 without a spade breaking earth, involves developing greenbelt land and he has launched a charm offensive to win over local opposition.

"We took a long time to have consultations with local parties that are interested and take on board their views," he said. "Our argument is about creating jobs and capacity for an industry that wants to grow and hasn't got the ability to grow at the moment. The fact you can build on green belt with permission is lost in the nuance of [the opposition] argument."

South Buckinghamshire District Council is understood to have received more than 450 letters about the submission, with significantly more in support and fewer objecting than last time.

On Wednesday the council will deliver its verdict with three possible outcomes. It can greenlight the planning application, vote against it, or decide that it needs to be ruled on at a national government level.

There is already significant opposition in Buckinghamshire to the proposed HS2 high-speed train route, which would pass to the north of the Pinewood studios site and cut a swath through greenbelt land in the Chilterns.

Pinewood is in the constituency of Dominic Grieve, the Conservative MP for Beaconsfield and the attorney-general.

Source; 

http://www.guardian....inewood-studios