This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Could The World Is Not Enough have been Oscar Worthy?

42 replies to this topic

#31 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

No way, I mean James Bond just won't ever win an oscar, there are certain movies that the Oscar avoids including fantasy films and action films (stereotypically)

Bond stands a chance at winning an Oscar.  They won two this year, which was amazing because they didn't win for the only category they should have won for, and that's a good start.  If the Bond franchise ever produces a film that is good enough to be nominated for Best Picture, it will stand a decent chance at being nominated.

#32 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:26 AM

If the Bond franchise ever produces a film that is good enough to be nominated for Best Picture, it will stand a decent chance at being nominated.

Skyfall was good enough. Of this year's Best Picture nominees, only two (Argo + Zero Dark Thirty) scored higher on rottentomatoes (critic reviews).

Your disliking of the film is common knowledge around here by now, but it doesn't change the film's overall very positive feedback from fans and critics alike. It's no wonder many film critics felt that Skyfall was snubbed by the Academy.

#33 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

It's no wonder many film critics felt that Skyfall was snubbed by the Academy.

Not sure if this is telling the whole story. It's often been said Deakins should have been acknowledged, and I have read about Bardem one or two times as a possible best supporting actor. But to the best of my knowledge nobody amongst professional critics seriously considered Mendes for best director, Craig for best actor or SKYFALL for best film. Nor do I think it would have been realistic given the competition of that year. It's debatable if SKYFALL should have been given more nominations, true. But the final outcome with one-and-a-half//two awards is already fantastic and as much as could be expected realistically. Our enthusiasm for the film and its success should not go so far as to make us blind for the fact that SKYFALL wasn't the best entry in every category perhaps.

#34 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

True.

Also, let´s all remind us that a movie like SKYFALL does not need any awards. Sure, it is nice to see accomplishments be acknowledged. But these blockbusters are not threatened to become extinct.

The artier fare, however, needs awards so people will go see it. Even if a film like ARGO climbs over the 100 million mark it remains a dwarf compared to SKYFALL or other pulp fiction.

I loved SKYFALL. But that does not mean that it should win every Oscar. I was disappointed that Deakins and Newman lost - because I do consider their work better than the winners in their categories. But still, both are veteran craftsmen and have no problem getting gigs. An award would not have changed anything for them, except maybe their feelings about their egos.

One thing for you, lechero - tdalton is absolutely entitled to his opinion on SKYFALL, and it is just as important as any "critic" who liked the film better. This is a message board where everybody can and is invited to share his opinions. We can debate them - but should not disqualify them. At no point did tdalton say that he wanted to change the film´s positive feedback.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 03 March 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#35 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I’m sorry if my post came off abrasive, wasn’t intending to offend tdalton or prohibit him from speaking his mind. He might not have enjoyed the film as much as I did and that’s totally fine but it’s a fact that due to the Academy’s rule change in the Best Picture category to accommodate more commercial fare, Skyfall stood a very good chance to actually get nominated in the “ 10th blockbuster space” thanks to its overwhelmingly positive reception, it’s decorated director, cast and crew and the tying in with the 50th anniversary of the most enduring franchise in film history.
It was now or never. And that’s all I meant to say; from an objective standpoint (whether or not you actually enjoyed the film), Skyfall had everything in its cards to be a BP contender. It never would have won, but it would have been a nice gesture.

But whatever, the Oscars are a nice way to kill a few hours, but at the end of the day, I’d rather rewatch the Bond canon. ;)

#36 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

... but it’s a fact that due to the Academy’s rule change in the Best Picture category to accommodate more commercial fare, Skyfall stood a very good chance to actually get nominated in the “ 10th blockbuster space” thanks to its overwhelmingly positive reception, it’s decorated director, cast and crew and the tying in with the 50th anniversary of the most enduring franchise in film history.
It was now or never. And that’s all I meant to say; from an objective standpoint (whether or not you actually enjoyed the film), Skyfall had everything in its cards to be a BP contender. It never would have won, but it would have been a nice gesture.

Yes, indeed. A nomination wouldn't have been entirely unjustified. As you say, when if not now, with all that momentum of SKYFALL's success, its cast and crew and its particular timing? Alas...

#37 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

Aside from the abundance of critics who wanted to see Skyfall nominated for Best Picture, I don't see where the actual evidence of such a potential nomination comes from.  Typically, Best Picture nominees have at least some buzz surrounding them in the categories of Best Original Screenplay or Best Adapted Screenplay, in addition to buzz in the other major categories such as the acting and directing.  But, I think that the writing category is a very good indicator of which films have Best Picture potential and which don't.  This year, all 9 of the Best Picture nominees were nominated for their respective writing categories.  Not once did I even hear Skyfall being touted as even having a slim chance of getting nominated for a screenplay award.  The script is the foundation upon which everything else builds the film, and there are very few, if any, in the voting community that felt that Skyfall's screenplay was Oscar material, which is why, at least IMO, it did not stand a chance at a nomination.  I think Skyfall is a film that was improved by its cast and some of the crew behind the camera, such as Deakins, who all elevated the film to a point where the flaws in the script either aren't as evident or aren't thought to be as important by those who are willing to overlook its flaws.

With that said, Skyfall is the first Bond film that fits the type of film that the Academy would consider nominating for major awards.  They gave it nominations where it was deserving (although I still can't understand the love for Adele's title track), but EON still has work to do if they want to claim one of the top prizes.  They need to seriously overhaul the writing staff, which they seem to have done by allowing Logan to write the next one solo.  The plot holes and other issues with the script are what need to be ironed out in order for Bond 24 to take the next step and get EON some love from the Academy.

Edited by tdalton, 03 March 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#38 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

No, just no.

#39 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

... but it’s a fact that due to the Academy’s rule change in the Best Picture category to accommodate more commercial fare, Skyfall stood a very good chance to actually get nominated in the “ 10th blockbuster space” thanks to its overwhelmingly positive reception, it’s decorated director, cast and crew and the tying in with the 50th anniversary of the most enduring franchise in film history.

Yes, indeed. A nomination wouldn't have been entirely unjustified. As you say, when if not now, with all that momentum of SKYFALL's success, its cast and crew and its particular timing? Alas...

Yes, it's annoying they left that 10th Best Picture nomination blank, when there were a couple of contenders for the space from the blockbuster sphere, no least of which was SF. 

As for Deakins winning for Cinematography, the Academy probably felt he'll get nominated again and they'll always have another chance to reward him. To be honest, his work on SF wasn't his best or most deserving of an Oscar, whereas Life Of Pi really earned it this year. I'm really happy with SF's success at the Oscars - it's just a bit of a shame earlier films in the series were completely snubbed. Slowly but surely, Oscar will reward blockbusters...but may be not Bond.

#40 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, it's annoying they left that 10th Best Picture nomination blank, when there were a couple of contenders for the space from the blockbuster sphere, no least of which was SF. 

The decision to leave the tenth spot blank isn't really so much of a conscious decision by the Academy as it is a result of their new nominating system.  To be nominated for Best Picture, a film needs to get a certain percentage of first place votes by the Academy members.  They'll nominate a minimum of five films, but they'll nominate as many films beyond five that meet the criteria of first place votes up to a maximum of ten.  This year, only nine films met the criteria to be nominated for Best Picture.  It's not as if they got to the tenth spot and decided not to give it to a blockbuster film like Skyfall or The Dark Knight Rises.  If Skyfall had earned the number of first place votes that is required for a nomination, it would have made the list along with the other nine nominees.

#41 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Okay, I should have been more specific, I meant I don't think Bond has a chance of winning an Oscar for Best Picture. I mean sure, it won for cinematography and for song which is very very good, but I don't think a Bond movie could ever be nominated for best picture.

#42 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Okay, I should have been more specific, I meant I don't think Bond has a chance of winning an Oscar for Best Picture. I mean sure, it won for cinematography and for song which is very very good, but I don't think a Bond movie could ever be nominated for best picture.

It won for the song and sound mixing, not cinematography. That one went to 'Life of Pi' :)

#43 Mallory

Mallory

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

James Bond is just something the Oscars are not looking for. It is pure escapist entertainment. Please don't make the films more than what they are. Pure escapist entertainment. Yes even the Daniel Craig films. Gritty and realistic doesn't mean they are doing this for real.

As for TWINE, I watched it last night and I find it a little melodramatic. I disagree it being a classic. That honor goes to GoldenEye and I can only think of two reasons it is a classic. The video game and it was the first Bond in six years.

Edited by Mallory, 08 March 2013 - 12:31 PM.