23 replies to this topic

#1 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

http://www.hollywood...t-ballot-422546
Article that gives insight of an Oscar voter. If anything it is a good laugh especially on LALD not winning best song.

#2 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Interesting that it does not tell you who shot what film for the cinematography category on the ballot. Definitely hurts Skyfall's chances there I think.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Pretty funny. Glad to see he enjoyed Skyfall as much as he did.

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Interesting that it does not tell you who shot what film for the cinematography category on the ballot. Definitely hurts Skyfall's chances there I think.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. A real shame. I think LIFE OF PI will probably end up taking the cinematography award, despite the amount of CGI.

#5 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I was just thinking the exact same thing. A real shame. I think LIFE OF PI will probably end up taking the cinematography award, despite the amount of CGI.

yeah that a shame hopefully the voter do some research on who is behind the camera and not just pick the movie..........

#6 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

yeah that a shame hopefully the voter do some research on who is behind the camera and not just pick the movie..........

Although I would rather them vote based on their opinion of the movie itself instead of based on reputation, the fact that it is a Bond film probably does not help.

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I was amused by this and liked his honesty. And it's nice to see somebody else thinks the same of Newman's score as I do.

#8 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I think all of his comments regarding Skyfall are bang on.

#9 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Interesting - I tended to agree with most of what he said. It was just a tad depressing to hear how uninformed so many of these voters appear to be.

#10 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Except for the score.

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

he is right about Skyfall but the score of Skyfall deserve an Oscar! it already won BAFTA Thomas Newman will get his Oscar 

#12 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Except for the score.

I think the score is good - good to have a change from Arnold. Not because Arnold's were bad, QoS  was magnificent, but just because a change is good and more importantly because Mendes and Newman have a history together and that should never be underestimated.

But i don't think this score is anywhere near the league of Barry and not a stand out Oscar favourite. I haven't heard the scores of it's competition in this year's category, so perhaps it's the best by the process of elimination, but in many other years it would be lucky to be nominated.

I really hope and expect Newman to return to Bond 24, as i'm sure he'll improve and perhaps be more ambitious and unique, such as his fantastic work on the courtroom shootout and the preceding scene with the voice carried over Bond running through Whitehall. The emotional charge of his score on these more intimate scenes is very high and his ambient pieces such as the Highlands and Skyfall lodge arrival are sheer class, with obvious nods to Zimmer & Nolan, but without feeling like they were copied (after all Nolan obviously has Zimmer listening to the scores of many a Kubrick movie for inspiration - The Shining  in particular). Above all Newman's score brought a sense of intrigue and intellect that i don't really think has ever existed in a Bond movie before.

IMO his action set-piece scoring is a little flat and too dependent on percussion; i love the high tempo percussion he's introduced to the action - it's nice to have a more modern feel to it that doesn't owe everything to Barry, but at the same time i missed the anthemic qualities of Barry and George Martin et al that make the music and thus the scenes so memorable.

So, i hope Newman can keep his independence while at the same time create a few old-school anthems for Bond 24.

SF's  score is good, but not great, so even if there are no 'great' scores in this year's category, i have to agree with this Oscar voter and still expect the other voter's uninformed bias about Bond to push the award elsewhere, to a likely less deserving score. For Bond to win an Oscar it really needs to be exceptional not just in the eyes of the fans, but in the eyes of the masses - so much so that it can't be ignored and i don't think that's the case with Skyfall's score.

As mediocre as i personally find Adele's theme to be, it has been embraced by the masses in its sales and its many awards, hence it really does have a great shot at winning best original song. Criminal, when you think of the great Bond themes it doesn't hold a candle to, yet lost out, such as LALD.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 24 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#13 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I love the love he shows for Skyfall. 

A few weeks ago my friend and i were driving back from a weekend in Somerset, playing a mixed CD. When Skyfall came on my friend turned the volume up almost full blast.

Hearing Skyfall that loud- and it certainly felt louder than it did in the cinema because of the small space we were in- made me realise it would be criminal if Adele doesn't win Best Orginal Song. It's fantastic! 

#14 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

In order of likelihood of actual Oscar success for SKYFALL, I reckon we're looking at the following:

Original Song

I'll be shocked if Adele doesn't win the award. I think she's as strong a bet as Daniel Day-Lewis and Anne Hathaway in their respective acting categories, so I hope she's got a speech ready!

Sound Editing

It feels like this is the sort of award that could end up with SKYFALL, as the category is not immune to rewarding blockbuster action movies with complicated sounds to piece together in the edit. Many of the critics have flagged SKYFALL for an upset, but I think the major awards contenders of ARGO and ZERO DARK THIRTY will be right up there.

Sound Mixing

I'm expecting this will be heading to LES MISERABLES, given there was so much coverage of their live mixing and recording of the songs on set. Some critics have again mentioned SKYFALL as a dark horse though, so we can keep our fingers partly crossed, without necessarily holding out a huge amount of hope.

Cinematography

Roger Deakins always has a chance, because he's Roger Deakins, but the fact he's not named on the ballot paper will doubtless hurt his chances. I'm sure Deakins himself would see some irony if it was a Bond movie which he eventually won his Oscar for! LIFE OF PI may lose some support because of the CGI aspects, but it's still very nicely done, and a fairly strong favourite.

Original Score

Thomas Newman's win at the Baftas was something of a surprise, at least to me, so I don't think we can rule anything out here. There's no simply outstanding score among the nominees who simply blasts away the others, so it's tough to call. My instinct is that first-time nominee Mychael Danna will probably take the award for LIFE OF PI, but there are strong cases for all the others, who have been nominated dozens of times between them for previous movies.

Overall, I think SKYFALL is guaranteed one Academy Award, two would be a fantastic bonus, three would be extraordinary and any more is out of the question.

#15 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

In order of likelihood of actual Oscar success for SKYFALL, I reckon we're looking at the following:

Original Song

I'll be shocked if Adele doesn't win the award. I think she's as strong a bet as Daniel Day-Lewis and Anne Hathaway in their respective acting categories, so I hope she's got a speech ready!

Sound Editing

It feels like this is the sort of award that could end up with SKYFALL, as the category is not immune to rewarding blockbuster action movies with complicated sounds to piece together in the edit. Many of the critics have flagged SKYFALL for an upset, but I think the major awards contenders of ARGO and ZERO DARK THIRTY will be right up there.

Sound Mixing

I'm expecting this will be heading to LES MISERABLES, given there was so much coverage of their live mixing and recording of the songs on set. Some critics have again mentioned SKYFALL as a dark horse though, so we can keep our fingers partly crossed, without necessarily holding out a huge amount of hope.

Cinematography

Roger Deakins always has a chance, because he's Roger Deakins, but the fact he's not named on the ballot paper will doubtless hurt his chances. I'm sure Deakins himself would see some irony if it was a Bond movie which he eventually won his Oscar for! LIFE OF PI may lose some support because of the CGI aspects, but it's still very nicely done, and a fairly strong favourite.

Original Score

Thomas Newman's win at the Baftas was something of a surprise, at least to me, so I don't think we can rule anything out here. There's no simply outstanding score among the nominees who simply blasts away the others, so it's tough to call. My instinct is that first-time nominee Mychael Danna will probably take the award for LIFE OF PI, but there are strong cases for all the others, who have been nominated dozens of times between them for previous movies.

Overall, I think SKYFALL is guaranteed one Academy Award, two would be a fantastic bonus, three would be extraordinary and any more is out of the question.

Agree mostly with this but think Cinematography has a better shot than sound mixing, even though Roger Deakins isn't named on the ballot I think it's more than likely that most voters will know Deakins did the cinematography (it may not be written on the ballot but it has been fairly well promoted every where else...I know a fair few people who only really got interested in Skyfall when they heard about Mendes and Deakins involvement.)

The people voting aren't just casual audience members off the street who wouldn't even know what a Cinematographer does, let alone the names of any, these are members of the Film Industry, they know this stuff for a living! (So in all likelihood those that did not know Deakins did the cinematography for Skyfall very likely don't know who Roger Deakins is, and so the information wouldn't have helped voting much in the first place.)

#16 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yes, I'll go along with that. I was tussling on whether to put cinematography third or fourth, so I've got no problems with changing. I still think cinematography is a long shot for SKYFALL, but there's still some hope for wary optimism.

#17 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Very interesting article - thanks for posting.

#18 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Very interesting article - thanks for posting.

Agreed.  Very interesting article.  I'm always interested to read the thoughts of those that get to vote on such things.

It's also refreshing to see just how far out of step with the Academy I actually am, if this voter's thoughts are in any way aligned with the majority.  It sounds like the only category that I feel Skyfall deserves to win at the Oscars tonight is the one that he feels they are least likely to win (Cinematography). 

#19 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Ah, you know what, this guy does undersell Newman's score. I just watched it on Blu ray and the score keeps getting better. I think it is exceptional and Newman deserves to net the oscar.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 25 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#20 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

He also greatly oversells Adele's song. A leaden one-note dirg that sounds like it was written on toilet paper in half n hour, and sung half asleep in a bath filled with apple crumb-all.

#21 nickjb007

nickjb007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Well compared to past oscar best song nominees Skyfall is one of the better songs in the history of Oscars.

#22 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well compared to past oscar best song nominees Skyfall is one of the better songs in the history of Oscars.

I can't disagree.

#23 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

yay adele won the oscar! This is really awesome. Did anyone watch the bond tribute at the oscars? I heard it was really dissappointing.

#24 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that beforehand. And, as it turns out, you predicted correctly. :sad:

Ah,
you know what, this guy does undersell Newman's score. I just watched
it on Blu ray and the score keeps getting better. I think it is exceptional and Newman deserves to net the oscar.

I agree. Sadly, he did not.