11 replies to this topic

#1 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I see on Amazon UK that OHMSS Blu ray is the top selling non Craig Bond film and already sold out!

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Understandable.  The movie looks wonderful on Blu ray.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

It certainly did look good on Blu-ray.  There were several moments that looked so good that, if you didn't know better, you'd think they were filmed recently rather than 40+ years ago.

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

It certainly did look good on Blu-ray.  There were several moments that looked so good that, if you didn't know better, you'd think they were filmed recently rather than 40+ years ago.

Indeed. OHMSS looks phenomenal on Blu-ray. I knew it would be an upgrade, but it was something else. For example the scene where Bond is taken to Draco in the car is crystal. 

#5 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Glad it's doing well!

Now if only the good folks at Eon/UA/MGM/Sony/Fox or whoever, would embrace it more.

#6 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Glad it's doing well!

Couldn't agree more. I am still holding to my UE DVD though, can't afford to upgrade my pre-Craig Bond collection yet. It is extremely pleasant that OHMSS is finally getting the success it deserves as one of the top 5 Bond films. 

#7 Blofelds Cat

Blofelds Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Keep in mind that the "5.1 soundtrack" re-balances the original (99% at least) elements used to produce the mono theatrical soundtrack. As such, the dynamic of the multi-channel experience is significantly different to the experience of the original mono soundtrack. The tension of the safe-cracking scene, which was so carefully mixed to ensure that John Barry's music provided the impact of the scene, is rendered 'ho-hum, get on with it' by the "re-imagining' of the audio in the multi-channel track, where the aforementioned 'impact' of Barry's music has been voided by it's relegation to mere background music to augment the sound-effects.

First-time viewers/listeners should opt for the original mono theatrical audio for their premiere viewing. In the case of the OHMSS soundtrack, 'far' less is actually 'far' more.

cheers.

#8 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Well said. Completely agree. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears. Pun intended.

#9 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Keep in mind that the "5.1 soundtrack" re-balances the original (99% at least) elements used to produce the mono theatrical soundtrack. As such, the dynamic of the multi-channel experience is significantly different to the experience of the original mono soundtrack. The tension of the safe-cracking scene, which was so carefully mixed to ensure that John Barry's music provided the impact of the scene, is rendered 'ho-hum, get on with it' by the "re-imagining' of the audio in the multi-channel track, where the aforementioned 'impact' of Barry's music has been voided by it's relegation to mere background music to augment the sound-effects.

First-time viewers/listeners should opt for the original mono theatrical audio for their premiere viewing. In the case of the OHMSS soundtrack, 'far' less is actually 'far' more.

cheers.

I usually listen to the mono tracks, or whichever track is the original. It is too bad they do not have lossless mono tracks on the blurays for purists, I would gladly buy them another time if they did.

#10 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

First-time viewers/listeners should opt for the original mono theatrical audio for their premiere viewing. In the case of the OHMSS soundtrack, 'far' less is actually 'far' more

Totally agree. They have really messed up the remixed soundtrack. The music needs the highs and lows that Peter Hunt, John Barry and co, had on the original mono soundtrack.

The UE DVD in the UK really missed having the original soundtrack. The blu ray at least corrects that even it is missing some of the UE extras such as the titleless credits.

#11 jsteed

jsteed

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Really love the transfer for the OHMSS Bluray especially compared to the UE DVD but agreed about the soundtrack, the mono is much better. Wished they would of went back and remixed the 5.1 more faithfully.

#12 TheLivingDaylights

TheLivingDaylights

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

It's a shame that so few of the Blu-rays on this side of the pond have the mono sountrack option, thankfully OHMSS does but other than YOLT, I believe that's it.