This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPECTRE Title Song: "Writing's on the Wall" by Sam Smith - POLL

1942 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing's on the Wall

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Having now thought about it / listened to it a few times

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most favouritest Craig Bond theme is

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

My most least favouritest Craig Bond theme is

He said it was a "grower". He was right. It grows like...

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

My pick is also Annie Lennox. She has a great voice and would work well in any Bond song.

No Gaga- she can't sing.

She was chosen once for Licence to Kill, but didn't approve of the violence after viewing a cut and bowed out.  She'd be great, but I don't think it will happen.

Other 80s pop singer:  Kim Wilde, who's on a bit of a comeback.

#92 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Not sure why Rihanna is in the discussion. If any pop girl is going to be chosen it's Gaga. She has the capacity to do a ballad, and her deeper singing voice works much much better for Bond.

I don't think that Gaga is completely devoid of talent, but that talent lies mainly in costume/image/selling herself as a pop star. Musically, she ain't Mozart. Besides- the last time we had a sexy blonde dance-pop singer, the result was one of the weakest and most half-arsed songs of her career....

"Sigmund Freud/ Analyze This." BLECH.   

#93 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lqmORiHNtN4

One more plug for Janelle Monae. She has a great voice, can write, produce, orchestrate... She can adapt to any style as well.

#94 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

I'd be happy if Arnold just wrote the title song for Bond 24. I do like the themes he has composed - in the case of TWINE and CR, better than the score itself.

#95 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

hey Shirley Bassey did 3 , as far as I'm concerned bring back Adele. No one could today could do a Bond theme better than her.

#96 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

Someone mentioned Michael Buble, I don't think he would be able to do it unless it was a Christmas song.

Just thought I'd throw in a couple of names that haven't been mentioned.

Katy B.
Sam Smith.

#97 xanadude

xanadude

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

It is time the a true ICON, Olivia Newton-John, finally sings a Bond theme!   https://www.facebook.com/ONJforBond

#98 kaiserthegreat

kaiserthegreat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

291 likes?  That seems high. 

Christina Aguilera, and then they can do a THE VOICE Bond episode.  

Edited by kaiserthegreat, 21 January 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#99 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Honestly I'm not much of fan of Shakira doing one I like her but I don't think it will fit well in a Bond theme it might seem abit odd. I would go with Adele again as long as she can pull of another great song. I'm sure they will end up picking a great singer that not many people are aware about. The one thing about picking big time singers is that so many people are going to judge it.

#100 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Honestly I'm not much of fan of Shakira doing one I like her but I don't think it will fit well in a Bond theme it might seem abit odd. I would go with Adele again as long as she can pull of another great song. I'm sure they will end up picking a great singer that not many people are aware about. The one thing about picking big time singers is that so many people are going to judge it.

I don't like Shakira at all, and I can't stand her songs, mostly Waka Waka. I found that disgusting.

#101 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Lol yeah I just can't picture a Bond title song with her singing In it. Just too odd.

#102 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Right Said Fred

#103 Zen Razor

Zen Razor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

Okay after thinking for sometime I think I have a great idea for a Bond title song, Being a MGS fan and looking forward to MGSV I figured Donna Burke could play the next title song. She has the voice for it and it's a female singing it. If you don't know what I'm talking about it you guys should check out Donna Burke Sins Of The Father

#104 the man with the BB gun

the man with the BB gun

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ellie Goulding

#105 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have long been a fan of Goldfrapp.  Alison Goldfrapp's haunting voice is perfectly suited for a moody Bond theme.  Goldfrapp's recent album, Tales of Us, has been well-reviewed.  Check out this recent video for "Annabel."  Scroll ahead to 2:52.  This is where the song actually begins.

http://www.youtube.c...KMA&feature=kp

#106 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I'd also be curious to hear what a Ellie Goulding Bond song would sound like.

#107 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Anyone else think Lorde could be in the running for the next title song?

#108 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

DidnĀ“t EON already strongly hint at Adele returning for BOND 24?

#109 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

I mean I wouldn't mind Adele returning.. that was a fabulous Bond song.. I wouldn't really like Lorde but that's probably because I hate Royals. I would also be interested to see what Ellie Goulding could do with it. 

#110 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

I would prefer someone new for Bond 24.  With all the talk about Bond 24 being some kind of an extension of Skyfall and now Adele returning and things like that, there has to be the concern that they're going to try to repeat too many things simply due to the success of Skyfall.  They need to keep things fresh, and something such as the choice of title song artist is a way in which that can be accomplished. 

#111 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

I would prefer someone new for Bond 24.  With all the talk about Bond 24 being some kind of an extension of Skyfall and now Adele returning and things like that, there has to be the concern that they're going to try to repeat too many things simply due to the success of Skyfall.  They need to keep things fresh, and something such as the choice of title song artist is a way in which that can be accomplished. 

Totally agree with this. Even though I'm not a fan of Adele aside of Bond, I really really loved Skyfall, and I would love another theme sung by her. But I really hope she won't do Bond 24, because the return of Mendes (and most likely Newman) already make me fear that the movie will feel like a sequel to Skyfall, rather than a new Bond movie, having Adele back for Bond 24 would make things worse.

#112 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

How about Jack White? (ducks rotten fruit and vegetables) Seriously though, I loved his side project with Brenden Benson, The Raconteurs.  (Benson is a vastly underappreciated power pop singer/songwriter) In fact when Jack White was announced  as the title artist for QOS, I was hoping it would sound something like this track from the Rac's second album, which sounds quite spaghetti western-ish:

http://www.youtube.c...75wM&feature=kp

...instead of the convoluted mess of a song that we did get. I still think the mistake was trying to team up White with Alicia Keyes, the two just simply did not work together as a duet.  

Edited by dtuba, 01 March 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#113 Caesar004

Caesar004

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Nico Vega or Muse.

#114 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

I don't think they need to rush into using Adele again so soon, I think she could be someone who comes back ever decade or so. 

#115 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Totally agree with this. Even though I'm not a fan of Adele aside of Bond, I really really loved Skyfall, and I would love another theme sung by her. But I really hope she won't do Bond 24, because the return of Mendes (and most likely Newman) already make me fear that the movie will feel like a sequel to Skyfall, rather than a new Bond movie, having Adele back for Bond 24 would make things worse.

I guess I would have to admit that I'm a bit biased, as I'm not really a fan of Adele's work ("Rolling in the Deep" was OK the first 1,000 times, but aside from that, I don't care much for her music), and I can't even count myself as one of those who's not a fan of her regular work but is a fan of her "Skyfall" title track.  I think it's pretty much a given that she'll be back at some point in the somewhat near future, but I do hope that EON looks out there and sees that there are plenty of other artists who can turn in a great title track for the films.

#116 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

I've been listening to George Michael's excellent new album Symphonica and for me there's no question that if his voice fits Bond 25's story/feel, then he'd provide a stunning theme.  

I'd also expect him to write it, or at least co-write (he'd make an awesome partner for Don Black).

Here's a taste of what kind of class he could give Bond 25:

#117 JamesPup

JamesPup

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

I have loved all of the Bond songs they have done so far so I don't see how I wouldn't like the new one. I still like to listen to Bond music every once and a while. I don't mind Adele doing another Bond song. I don't see what it would hurt. But I feel they will want to get a new singer to do it.

#118 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

The story started in the Sun - So pinch of salt at the ready.

However, as I recall, they seemed to have inside info on Amy Winehouse for QoS and Adele on Skyfall so I thought I'd post it.

I haven't been able to establish which of their show biz reporters this came from. Gordon Smart has been known to have the occasional Bond scoop. 

I can't link to the original, so here is one take on it from the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingto..._n_5660947.html

EDIT: The NME contacted Smith's spokesman today, who refused to comment on the story. Interesting.

http://www.nme.com/n...sam-smith/79050

#119 Civilian_3llipsis_*

Civilian_3llipsis_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

I don't personally like this movie but here's my reaction:

#120 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I move that CBn puts an informal ban on threads dealing with rumors of title song performers. These pointless things come up all the time and we all know a title performer isn't announced until the summer before the film even comes out in the fall.

The script hasn't even been finalized, the first frame of film is still months from being shot and people actually believe the production team is concerned about who will perform the title song? It's a prime gig performers would flock to for sure, so it's not like they need to build interest, but any beforehand speculation is just rumors and PR hype that leads to nothing.

At least speculation on actors and actresses makes sense at this point.