Matt Monroe - FRWL Recording blooper!

9 replies to this topic

#1 kronik

kronik

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi all, first post so the usual caveats apply  :)

I've known about the following for about 25 years, and wondered if anybody else knew or realised that the stereo recording of Matt Monroe's From Russia With Love contains a bit of an audio blooper.

Listen VERY carefully to the LEFT hand channel (the right hand channel has the string section) when he sings "but oh, you haunted me so"... during "Oh" you can distinctly hear something unusual going on (I'm a Sound Engineer, so I tend to notice this sort of thing ;) ).

I've loaded that part of the audio into DSP Quattro (audio editor) and lowered the speed to see what the result would be, and sure enough it's someone saying "I wasn't so sure about that, can we start again?"

Could it be the voice of JB?

Anyway Happy New Year to all, glad to be hear and I hope to join in many future discussions.

#2 The Cat

The Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

John Barry had nothing to do with the recording of the song From Russia with Love. The people you hear on the recording are the conductor and the recording engineer. The original conversation was actually captured on the separate recording of the piano track that was sped up for the finished mix - hence the chipmunk effect of the dialogue. If you do a search for "chipmunk", you'll find plenty of additional details on this recording anomaly.

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Ah, the good old FRWL chipmunks. We didn't have those for quite a while  :D

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Funny thing is, I was reading about this last night. I have just started John Burlingame's "The Music Of James Bond", and he mentions the "chipmunks", which he says are heard at about 1 minute and 4 seconds into the song. The Cat's explanation above is pretty much what John Burlingame refers to in his book -studio chatter caught on the recording of the piano section, which was originally slowed down, then overdubbed on the main recording at normal speed, hence the "chipmunk" sound - which wasn't noticed on the vinyl recording.

(Although maybe I have sensitive hearing, because when I played the song on vinyl or cassette - those were the days! - and listened through earphones, I could certainly hear something odd in the background at that point on FRWL.)

Also, I'd like to mention another "anomaly" on another recording - Nancy Sinatra's You Only Live Twice. In the final refrain of the song, around the repeat of the line "So pay the price", there's some kind of blip where the sound, for a milisecond disappears then comes back (A bit like a musical "dip in the road" is the only way I can think of it.) Is it just me, or has anyone else heard it? Is it, I wonder, the result of the many recordings of the sond which were put together, allegedly, to create the finished article?

#5 kronik

kronik

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for that guys, I didn't realise that it had been discussed before (I hadn't thought of putting "chipmunk" as a search word ;) )

@Guy - Yes I've always noticed the drop-out on the left channel too, every version I have of it has it, so it must be on the master. It does sound like a genuine tape drop-out though, as opposed to a cut edit.

Edited by kronik, 06 January 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#6 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that. I always wondered about that funny sound too.

There was also a glitch on the ORIGINAL original soundtarck for OHMSS on Track 4 - Ski Chase. The original version finished on the double flute rasps at the end but seemed to cut in on one channel a split second after the other channel. They fixed this for the extended version on the expanded soundtrack.

#7 Dan Gale

Dan Gale

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I am aware of the film's 'chipmonk' typo. It's not a word I use everyday and Final Cut Pro doesn't have a spell checker. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Also you can barely hear it on the poor YouTube audio but it was designed to make people fish out their CD.

While we're on the subject, there's a violin hiccup in Ice Chase (The Living Daylights soundtrack) at 3.34 that sounds like a seagull has just been trodden on.

#8 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

John Barry had nothing to do with the recording of the song From Russia with Love. The people you hear on the recording are the conductor and the recording engineer. The original conversation was actually captured on the separate recording of the piano track that was sped up for the finished mix - hence the chipmunk effect of the dialogue. If you do a search for "chipmunk", you'll find plenty of additional details on this recording anomaly.

Any idea on who the conductor was? Did Eric Tomlinson record the Monroe song or just the score?

#9 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I remember in the late '80's, when I had bought my first cd player, I had that first Bond compilation on cd, which was almost the same as the LP (James Bond Greatest hits or something) and I heard that strange noice too, when I listened it to my headphone. I knew somebody who also had the same cd and I made her listen very carefully to the song, because I thought I had a bad pressing or something. Ofcourse a "normal" listener would never notice this. I was very glad that her cd had the same problem, so my cd was not damaged or something. 

#10 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

While we're on the subject, there's a violin hiccup in Ice Chase (The Living Daylights soundtrack) at 3.34 that sounds like a seagull has just been trodden on.

That's intentional. It coincides with Kara's cello case getting shot during the ski chase.