68 replies to this topic

#61 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

One other curious detail concerning OCTOPUSSY, an early treatment - around early summer of 1959 - by Ernest Cuneo for the then-still-untitled "Xanadu" Bond project had the following storyline:

A Soviet agent penetrates the USO (United Service Organisation, an armed forces entertainment operation to boost morale among Allied troops around the world) with a plan to detonate a nuclear weapon on an American base. Bond is sent undercover as a British entertainer to investigate and prevent the worst. He was to be aided by CIA agent Felix Leiter and real-life actors such as Noel Coward and Laurence Olivier. Bond was to appear on stage himself and having difficulty finding a suitable act. 

Now if this isn't heavily reminiscent of what OCTOPUSSY depicted almost 25 years later. Especially interesting since just at that time the remake of THUNDERBALL was under way.   

#62 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

27 June 2013 London. Vijay and the Duchess of Cornwall

BNyIx-QCIAAcFwy.jpg

#63 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

A propos of nothing, it seems year 3 of the decades does offer the most Bond film anniversaries.

FRWL

LALD

Oct

NSNA

SF

A busy year.

I think 7 comes a close second.

Anyway, Octopussy...

#64 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yes, a great "James Bond" movie. 

After fighting the likes of Red Grant, Goldfinger, Largo and Blofeld, "Bond" can not get a German woman out of a phone booth to make an emergency phone call. What suspense!

"Bond" chases the villains on horseback as they try to fly away. "Bond" grabs onto the plane as it takes off. During the flight, the henchman is sent out to fight "Bond".  Probably one of the stupidest things in a Moore move.

What an absolute piece of garbage.

#65 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes, a great "James Bond" movie. 

After fighting the likes of Red Grant, Goldfinger, Largo and Blofeld, "Bond" can not get a German woman out of a phone booth to make an emergency phone call. What suspense!

"Bond" chases the villains on horseback as they try to fly away. "Bond" grabs onto the plane as it takes off. During the flight, the henchman is sent out to fight "Bond".  Probably one of the stupidest things in a Moore move.

What an absolute piece of garbage.

This is exactly my thought about Octopussy.

#66 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I find OP a little doll at times and I'm not a fan of the casting either. The action is fun and entertaining but I find some of it drags on a bit. I'm not a fan of most the gags in this like some of the Q branch jokes. Then there is the obvious Indiana Jones comparison of which I think Jones has Bond bet at least when Bond pulls a sword out of performer.

The scene when Bond tries to get a ride from some young adults who end up only to drive away on him makes me laugh. 

#67 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

Watched Octopussy tonight.  Overall, it's one of the better Bond films, but the constant shifts in tone keep it from being a top shelf Bond film like From Russia With Love or The Living Daylights.  When it's serious, it's excellent.  The story, at its core, is a good Cold War thriller with a bit of the glamor of jewelry smuggling thrown in to make it suitably Bondian.  That all clashes with the other parts of the film, which features the most juvenile attempts at humor in the franchise.  

#68 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I want to rewatch this.. there are a lot of Bond movies that I haven't seen yet.

#69 Moore'sStuntDouble

Moore'sStuntDouble

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Re-watched Octopussy two weekends ago, and I probably enjoyed it more than ever. Barring a few glitches (the Tarzan yell, the Q scene), I think the movie gets a lot right. The tone is just right, and this is probably my favorite Moore performance. His delivery of lines like "Well, I'd heard the price of eggs was going up, but isn't that a little high?" is just gleeful. I understand that some people can't get passed the movie's faults, but it really works for me. A happy anniversary indeed.