12 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I was planning to pick up both Devil May Care and Carte Blanche, but I made the mistake of reading the reviews on CBn first. I got put off after reading the reviews that both books by the one-time authors have received. It seems that both books feature "James Bland".

I know that everybody has different tastes, but which do you feel is the better novel of the two?

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I hate to say it, but I choose DEVIL MAY CARE. As terrible as it is, at least Faulks's James Bond resembles James Bond, and not simply Nick Clegg with a gun.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

You absolutely have to make up your own mind, Golden Claw. A lot of people apparently enjoyed both books and there is no way how you can ever find out beyond reading them yourself. We do tend to view continuations with more than a little scepticism; perhaps more than they would deserve were they not supposed to be Bond continuations.

#4 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I prefer DMC, but not by much. The book is decent and fits in with Fleming's timeline, but is just not very exciting. Carte Blanche was decent attempt at reboot for the literary Bond, but nothing about it stood out and the plot is ridiculously convoluted. By the end, I still wasn't exactly sure what was going on. However, they are both fast and easy reads and are by no means a terrible way to spend the afternoon on a rainy day (like today).

#5 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Carte Blanche gets my vote, but it's the sort of thing that absolutely varies based on taste. I think Devil May Care is painfully lethargic and by the books. There's really nothing in there that we haven't seen before, and the Bond character is not particularly well drawn. Deaver's book has pretty solid pacing, some neat red herrings, and good set pieces. I'd give it a look.

#6 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I haven't read Devil May Care yet, but I can assure you I really enjoyed Carte Blanche.

Edited by Walecs, 11 December 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#7 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Devil May Care was nothing special... James Bond visited Finland, that was nice :) I haven´t read Carte Blanche yet, but I´ve heard strong rumours that Santa will bring it to me so I shall see.

But of course you have to read those books by yourself and make your own judgement. So many readers, so many opinions...

#8 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I haven't read Devil May Cry yet, but I can assure you I really enjoyed Carte Blanche.

Never even heard of Devil May Cry, but I did read Devil May Care and like it better than Deaver's book. Parts of DMC are outstanding and worthy of Fleming but its terribly uneven and has a horrible subplot involving supposedly twin sisters.

If you read and enjoyed Raymond Benson's Bond novels then you may end up prefering CB over DMC. Also ask yourself this: does an American writing a 400 page Bond novel bother you? If not, you may enjoy it.

#9 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Read both then form your own opinion.  Even asking which we prefer shades your opinion.  They are both relatively short reads, decide for yourself.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

I'll agree with the others who have said that ultimately it's up to you to decide whether or not you like the novels.  

To answer the question, though, I guess I'd say that DEVIL MAY CARE is the better of the two novels, but that's pretty faint praise.  Both novels are abysmal.

#11 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I'll agree with the others who have said that ultimately it's up to you to decide whether or not you like the novels.  

To answer the question, though, I guess I'd say that DEVIL MAY CARE is the better of the two novels, but that's pretty faint praise.  Both novels are abysmal.

I havent read either yet, Both are on my bookshelf waiting to go the book after next. I have to say it's really a shame that they havent been better. I will have to see for myself.

#12 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I haven't read Devil May Cry yet, but I can assure you I really enjoyed Carte Blanche.

Never even heard of Devil May Cry, but I did read Devil May Care and like it better than Deaver's book. Parts of DMC are outstanding and worthy of Fleming but its terribly uneven and has a horrible subplot involving supposedly twin sisters.

If you read and enjoyed Raymond Benson's Bond novels then you may end up prefering CB over DMC. Also ask yourself this: does an American writing a 400 page Bond novel bother you? If not, you may enjoy it.

Yeah, whatever it's called. I can't remember any of continuation novels' titles, for some reason, neither the ones I own.

Also, other than novelizations, I never read anything by Benson yet. One thing is sure: when I read those books, I never consider it Fleming's Bond, but another person.

Edited by Walecs, 11 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#13 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Devil May Care all the way! It isn't the best continuation novel there is, but a decent pastiche. Carte Bland is garbage.