quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

guardian 25 March 2013

Helen Mirren criticises Sam Mendes' all-male inspiration list at Empire awards

Skyfall director chided for citing only male film-makers in awards ceremony acceptance speech

Hellen Mirren last night criticised the Oscar-winning British film-maker Sam Mendes after the director failed to mention any women as influences during an acceptance speech at the Empire awards.

Speaking as she picked up her own "Legend" award on stage, Mirren noted the director of recent James Bond movie Skyfall had cited a string of male directors – including Paul Thomas Anderson, François Truffaut, Martin Scorsese and Ingmar Bergman – but ignored the contributions of female film-makers. Mendes had earlier picked up awards for best director, best film and the Empire "Inspiration" award at the ceremony in central London.

"It was great to hear Sam [Mendes'] list of moments that inspired him... I did however note there was not one woman's name there, behind the camera," said Mirren, to cheers from the audience. "Nothing against Sam … I hope, I pray, I know in five or 10 years, when the next Sam gets up and make his or hopefully her speech … there will be 2 or 3 or 4 women's names there ... Go girls!"

http://www.dailymail...ire-Awards.html

#332 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

Who is she to say who his influences are?

#333 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

guardian 25 March 2013

Helen Mirren criticises Sam Mendes' all-male inspiration list at Empire awards

Skyfall director chided for citing only male film-makers in awards ceremony acceptance speech

Hellen Mirren last night criticised the Oscar-winning British film-maker Sam Mendes after the director failed to mention any women as influences during an acceptance speech at the Empire awards.

Speaking as she picked up her own "Legend" award on stage, Mirren noted the director of recent James Bond movie Skyfall had cited a string of male directors – including Paul Thomas Anderson, François Truffaut, Martin Scorsese and Ingmar Bergman – but ignored the contributions of female film-makers. Mendes had earlier picked up awards for best director, best film and the Empire "Inspiration" award at the ceremony in central London.

"It was great to hear Sam [Mendes'] list of moments that inspired him... I did however note there was not one woman's name there, behind the camera," said Mirren, to cheers from the audience. "Nothing against Sam … I hope, I pray, I know in five or 10 years, when the next Sam gets up and make his or hopefully her speech … there will be 2 or 3 or 4 women's names there ... Go girls!"

http://www.dailymail...ire-Awards.html

This has been disputed by Empire on Twitter. The publication 'The Week', who i worked for a few years ago, ran the same story and Empire pointed out to them that it was untrue, and to watch the video again. The Week has since changed the story and apologised.

I'm not surprised that the Daily Fail ran this, awful paper.

#334 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

She openly said that "this is nothing against Sam". She just pointed out that the film industry basically still is a boys´ club. Which is true.

#335 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interesting that she and MGW both not only cuddle with P & W but say that they will be back in the future.

One can only hope that she was kidding on that front. They had five films and basically recycled the same two plots all five times.

I guess they will be back, though, should Bond 24 disappoint at the box office, so they can write yet another story of Bond being betrayed or MI6 being directly attacked.

From what we know about earlier productions working on a script for Eon often means the writers become involved again at various stages during future productions. It's a 'family business', and once you belong to the inner circle it's probably more of a lifetime post than usual in the industry. Of course P&W will be back.

#336 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

38th Saturn Awards

Best Action/Adventure Film: Skyfall

#337 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander