#1 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hey

I've been a member here for 4 years and was trying to find some old topic posts, but it seems like they gave disappeared. How do I access old topics or posts that I may have made.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Probably a victim of several forum updates. You ought to try the search function, chances are that turns up more than the content function in your profile.

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Parts of some posts unfortunately seem to have been lost during one or the other system upgrade. A shame, but it was too late when we noticed that. When you look into the first pages of zencat's DAD thread, for example, you'll find some of those. zencat's original DAD review would have been lost, too. We were only able to restore it because someone quoted it in full a few pages into the thread. But usually, no posts or even entire threads disappear without a trace (except when they're deleted as a result of breaking forum rules), in any event, you should still find an empty post. And sometimes, the posting order in very old threads got a bit mixed up.

When searching for older posts and topics, make sure that you set a specific time frame (in the advanced search settings), because an ordinary search is always limited to a year back from your search date.

#4 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

im looking for stuff maybe 3-4 years old. Is it likely to now be gone?

#5 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

im looking for stuff maybe 3-4 years old. Is it likely to now be gone?

No, they should still be about.

While some old posts from about 8-10 years ago were chewed up due to forum upgrades (it tended to be mostly very long post that were affected), I think very few posts or threads have been lost since.

Searching:

If you remember which subforum (i.e. "George Lazenby (1969)", "Bond Music Discussion, etc) the topic was posted in:
Some subforums only lists the topics from the last year, or last 90 days, etc. From the row above the topics, click the "custom" link, and change the duratuon to "Show all". You should now be able to see all the topics for the subforum (it'll be across multiple pages).

Otherwise:
The Advanced Search button (the cog next to the search field at the top of the page). You can search for either threads or individual posts based on search terms and / or the user. This will I think only return a maximum of 8 pages of results so you need to use the date fields to get the date range you want.

Reply to this topic