23 replies to this topic

#1 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:20 PM

As the longest standing cast member ever in the Bond series, and a recongnizable staple of the franchise, they should pay tribute to him in some form. Not just have Cleese as the new Q, without any mention of the old one. It's not like changing the Bond actor. Q has aged with the series....Bond hasn't.

#2 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:28 PM

Oh dear, I haven't seen this topic mentioned for a while. Hope you're enjoying it here deth, but a few months ago there were many threads on this topic. I don't think they will pay another tribute to Desmond, it was on the UK DVD and other people have since passed away, Peter Hunt for example. Maybe they will dedicate it to him.

I agree that Desmond was a well loved person and portrayed a well loved character, and was an essential part of Bond's success, but I am pretty sure there won't be a tribute to him in DAD (or maybe references in the Q scene).

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:09 PM

Yes, this topic. I remember getting slammed when I said I didn't think there would (or should) be a tribute to Desmond on DAD. There was a nice tribute to him on the TWINE dvd--that was the right time and place for it--but now I think it's time to move on.

#4 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:32 PM

If I remember correctly, I think that Cleese's Q and/or Bond make a very brief reference to Boothroyd. I don't know for sure - that's just what I've heard.

#5 xmd

xmd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:25 PM

yeah, it was me who few months ago started the thread "In memory of DL" , and people here were far from consenus, as to whether he should or shouldn't be paid a tribute;) And as someone told me, there was a small reference in Cleese's lines: "Like, my predecessor, 007, I never joke about my work" - and unless this is cut out, it's fine with me. (although I think there should be also a memoral note at the end of the credits, but if that was the real case, people who have already seen the movie - Brad T. and others - would report that, wouldn't they?)

#6 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:26 PM

well, since I wasn't here, I'll just give my 2 cents on them having a Desmond tribute on the TWINE DVD.....I think that that's great that they did that. If they hadn't, it would have been somewhat tasteless. On the other hand, many people did not purchase the DVD, or watch it (myself included).....and I had a valid reasoning.....nuts....i messed up the structure of this response.....ahh never mind...

#7 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:37 PM

I think the best "In Memory Of"s that I've ever seen was in the beginning of Blues Brothers 2000, where, before ANYTHING, you see "In Memory Of' for Belushi, Candy, and a third actor whose name I cannot recall. That is what they should have done with this, in my opinion. Show the MGM logo, then a "In Loving Memory of Desmond "Q" Lewellyn", and then the big show...

I really hope I spelt his name right there...

#8 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

THAT, is a really good idea.....

#9 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:42 PM

I hope we see The names of Peter Hunt And Desmond Llewelyn on the end of the movie.

The sun of Desmond have a cameo in Die Another Day.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:49 PM

I too heard there was a reference to the former Q, made by John Cleese's character in DAD

#11 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:52 PM

There ya go, and I do apologize for getting Desmond's name wrong. I know it might be a rather small thing, but I feel as if I wronged the dear man. At least the position of "Q" is now in good hands...

#12 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:56 PM

Deth - thanks for your support of the idea. Personally, I just think it's the obvious thing to do. And, I feel even worse now for forgetting Peter Hunt. So lemme revise this...

MGM logo, lion roars, and then, black screen, and in white type reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF DESMOND "Q" LLEWELYN AND PETER HUNT

Cue gunbarrel...

#13 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:56 PM

Oh here we go again. Look, Desmond died exactly 1 month after the release of TWINE in the US (on my brother's and Mom's birthday) and therefore his tribute couldnt have been printed on the film but was given one on the VHS and DVD copies. If you didn't see it... too bad. Putting up another tribute on the prints of Die Another Day is not necessary. Time has passed. Like some have said, there are many others who have contributed to the series over the years (i.e. Peter Hunt). So, the rightful thing to do (as its been stated a million times over) is to dedicate it to "all those who helped bring Bond to the big screen" .. or something along those lines. We all love and miss Desmond and he's getting his winks and nods within the film anyway.

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:07 PM

Yes, I do know of the tribute on the OHMSS DVD, and I treasure it because it is fantastic. To some of us, though, the right thing to do is make those less familiar with the films know, or something to that effect. I mean, having Desmond's son in the film is a great touch alone, so I know that the Bond filmmakers will always have him in their thoughts when making these movies for years to come.

#15 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:24 PM

It should be fair though. If you're going to make a tribute to 1 you might as well make 1 to all. I mean if it wasn't for Ian Fleming, Bond wouldn't even be here, where's his tribute? Although, I guess we're all being a bit ignorant because now that I realise it.... all the tributes we need are present within the film. We've got references to just about everyone rather its visible to most or not, they're there.

#16 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:28 PM

Fleming always has his tribute, and rightfully so - Cubby Broccoli himself made sure of that. They always say "ALBERT R. BOCCOLI'S EON PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN....." Even after they stopped basing the movies on his novels, Broccoli still wanted to give Fleming proper credit for his creation.

But I do agree with you, Hunter. All who worked on that series deserves credit. Actually, it would be fitting to, right before the end credits, show a list of the names of every person who has ever worked on a Bond movie who has passed away, in honor of the 40th anniversary.

#17 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 09:47 PM

Peter Hunt though... not saying don't mention him, but he hasn't worked on a Bond for a while......(correct me if I'm wrong....)

#18 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 10:50 PM

I'm not too worried about honouring Desmond, as his son does have a cameo, and there was the "Tribute to Q" video on the TWINE videos and DVDs. But it would be nice to honour Peter Hunt. He was a big influence on the first Bond films. And he did direct one of the most remembered 007 films, OHMSS. So, it would be fitting.

#19 FireKiss

FireKiss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 12:29 PM

In complete agreement with jackchase, it should be right at the beginning. Maybe just: For Desmond Llewelyn - 'Q'. Followed by his birth and death years.

#20 Roukey2

Roukey2

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 03:04 PM

I would like to see a tribute to Desmond on DAD somewhere. Do you all know that the tribute on the original TWINE DVD is not on the re-release (region 2).

#21 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 06:01 PM

And the tribute to Desmond on the DVD (Inside Q's Lab) is not on my TWINE DVD, but rather on OHMSS, actually... Very curious...

#22 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 04:54 AM

JackChase007,
The Desmond tribute was NEVER on the TWINE DVD :)
The 'Inside Q's Lab' featurette was originally (and still is) on the OHMSS DVD...
What Roukey2 was referring to was the title card placed at the end of TWINE on the DVD which was one of the 'In loving memory of...' things

#23 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:17 AM

Ah, yes, that's right. Thanks for pointing that out WhiteKnight. I had forgotten about that - you need to sit thru all of the credits for it...they should've done something a little more, but then again, you do have the documentary on OHMSS. We do know that he will never be forgotten.

#24 Renard

Renard

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 02:33 PM

A friend of mine has seen DAD at french press screening last week... and I did ask him if there was a tribute of Desmond Llewelyn in DAD...

he said: "yes there is one in John Cleese's dialog."

So..." Pay Attention!" while watching DAD!!!
:)