Article Needs Work: Toyota 2000 GT

1 reply to this topic

#1 patronanejo

patronanejo

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

The article Toyota 2000 GT perpetuates some misconceptions that are actually debunked elsewhere on this very site:

The article claims that the two open-top roadster 2000GT's created especially for filming work were "the work of John Stears and his special-effects crew who customised two standard cars for the production of You Only Live Twice."

In fact, according to The CBn James Bond Toyota 2000GT Story, "The crew tried to transform the car into a convertible but the results were not satisfying. The job had to be done by Toyota themselves, as quick as possible," and "For 2 weeks, people worked hard day and night in a Toyopet service centre in Tsunashima near Yokohama to get the modifications done."

The article claims that one of the film cars "is situated within Toyota’s museum in Japan, whilst the other is homed with many other past 007 cars in the private-collection of “The Cars Of The Stars” visitors’ attraction in Keswick, England."

In fact, according to The CBn James Bond Toyota 2000GT Story, "Bond car collector and ‘Cars of the Stars’ museum owner Peter Nelson had tried to buy it for his exhibition. When he learned that there was no way to get his hands on an original car, he decided to build a replica, based on a serial 2000GT Coupé....Impressed by the effort, Michael G. Wilson...let him have the original control panel with the TV screen from behind the seats to build it into the car."

Further, the existence of two articles on the same Bond car makes one wonder why the Toyota 2000GT is not included among the Favourite Bond Car selections in the sign-up questionnaire. While Sean Connery is only a passenger in the You Only Live Twice chase scene, the 2000GT is one of the brighter automotive stars of the James Bond film franchise.

Oddly, I can't figure out how to edit the preceding post. I would like to remove the word while, as it is made redundant by the word whilst in the quote that follows it.

#2 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

This is quite easily explained: The small article originates from the early days of CBn, and is state of the art of what was commonly known by then. The story of the movie cars' whereabouts is a rather confusing one (what's become of the second car is still pretty much in the dark), so there actually are some bits of misinformation in the older article, which indeed should have been corrected long ago. The 2000GT Story (which was written by myself) is much more accurate, as there was much more information available (especially through Luc Aellen's great website).

But thanks for the heads up, I noticed that with the last site update, the image links were lost once again. Hope to find some time to fix that ASAP.

As for the car not being included into the "favourite car" choice: sorry, our mistake. Will be included in the next update.

Oh, and I removed the "while" in your post.

Reply to this topic