42 replies to this topic

#31 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

It was also Lazenby who ripped on Brosnan's Bond back in the day as well. So I wouldn't worry too much about what he's saying.

#32 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Still, at least we all now know he's still alive. Yay.

#33 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Still, at least we all now know he's still alive. Yay.

It would seem that longevity has been written into the contracts of those who play Bond.

#34 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

It was also Lazenby who ripped on Brosnan's Bond back in the day as well. So I wouldn't worry too much about what he's saying.

And that was after Brosnan said they should remake OHMSS so I think that's what started off the comments between the two. Looking back at Pierce's tenure as Bond, I do have to agree with some of the comments George made regarding Pierce. Loved Goldeneye though =)

#35 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

And that was after Brosnan said they should remake OHMSS so I think that's what started off the comments between the two. Looking back at Pierce's tenure as Bond, I do have to agree with some of the comments George made regarding Pierce. Loved Goldeneye though =)

Now, Pierce's screen test included the Hotel scene with Tracy (i haven't seen any actual footage but they took a few still shots of it and I believe they were in the special features for TLD when they were talking about casting Bond after Moore stepped down) and while I don't want to see any past bond movie re-made I do have this morbid fascination of how a Bond movie would be if we did recast it for todays audiences...

that said.....
James Bond: Pierce Brosnan
Teresa "Tracy" di Vicenzo: Angelina Jolie? (in 1995 'round the time of Goldeneye, Jolie was still a relatively unknown actress)
Marc Ange Draco: ????????
Earnst Stavro Blofeld: ????????
Irma Bunt: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? (Hard to find an actress to play such an unattractive role in this day and age.)
Sir Hilary Bray: ??????
M; go with Judi Dench? or go back in time and re-cast sir Miles Messervy? (Maybe the actor who played Admiral Roebuck inn TND?)
Q: Desmond Llewelyn
MoneyPenny: Samantha Bond
Blofeld's "Angels of Death": ????????

#36 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'll have a go...

James Bond: Timothy Dalton
Teresa "Tracy" di Vicenzo: Rachel Weisz
Marc Ange Draco: Marcello Mastroianni
Enst Stavro Blofeld: Tom Noonan
Irma Bunt: Ingrid van Bergen
Sir Hilary Bray: Simon McBurney
M: Edward Woodward
Q: Desmond Llewelyn
MoneyPenny: Sarah Alexander

#37 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'll have a go...

I absolutely LOVE those two, splendid suggestions!

#38 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'll have a go...

I absolutely LOVE those two, splendid suggestions!

I second this, especially Mastroianni.

#39 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

So...
We can have our own opinions about which Bonds are great and which aren't;
Sir Roger Moore can endorse Daniel Craig;
Sir Sean Connery can say CR was "half an hour too long and the music was S***";
But George Lazenby can't say he feels the new Bond films have no heart without everyone jumping on him for being a bitter, frustrated attention-seeker?

Did he post this comment himself, or was he sought out and asked for his opinion by some entertainment reporter? And what was he supposed to do - toe the EON line and parrot Sir Roger, like there was something in it for him?

In case you hadn't noticed, action heroes of the 90s all had 'heart': John McClane, Jack Ryan, Cameron Poe - even Arnie's Harry Tasker. They were a reaction to the soulless action movies of the 70s & 80s where heroes such as Dirty Harry, Casey Ryback, John Rambo - and yes, even James Bond - had nothing at stake. Craig's take on Bond is an attempt to strike a balance between the two eras: he roars through the action scenes like an unstoppable dreadnought, but then pays for his survival when he is affected emotionally by the damage done to his friends and lovers as a result of his actions (yes, just like Jason bleedin' Bourne). We are supposed to be witnessing the genesis of the devil-may-care superagent that 007 becomes by the time he first appeared in Dr. No.

George may be right - in his one film, Bond did exhibit a tenderness we wouldn't see again until Dalton's 007 met Kara Milovy. Those who haven't read CR were probably confused by Bond's sudden falling for Vesper, since it seemed to come out of left field. Now Bond has strapped his emotional armour back on, and won't be hurt again. I say, good; Bond films aren't meant to be full of angst and self-doubt - there was enough of that in LTK.

I may not agree with George Lazenby's opinion, but I respect his right to have one. If I expect my opinion to be respected (even though I've never played Bond) isn't that fair?

#40 Piz Gloria 1969

Piz Gloria 1969

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

IMO , FYEO/TLD were not soulless Bond films ;)

#41 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

http://www.miltonkey...anged-1-4823902

#42 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

You have got to be kidding me. Really?

“New Bond has no heart.” says George Lazenby

One time Bond actor George Lazenby has criticised the latest James Bond movies for having no heart.

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, the ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ gave his thoughts on current Bond star Daniel Craig.

“He’s a fantastic actor, but [his movies] are more violent, aren’t they? It’s the way our society has gone, You can’t have someone who’s got feelings now. Bond has to be able to shoot someone now and kiss a girl three minutes later. When I did it, it had more heart. There’s no heart to the new Bond.”

How wrong could he be!

The psychological impact of his job has been at the heart  of this reboot from the start.

Lazenby's saving grace, though is that it was after all his decision to cry at the end of OHMSS, so i guess he can just about get away with the comment; inaccurate, but heart-felt...

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 26 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#43 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

It sounds like he's describing some of the earlier movies. Anyone who's watched Craig's films cannot say there's no heart.