230 replies to this topic

#121 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

Jim, I have just downloaded chapters 1-8.

The question is when I'm going to read them - doing that now, during the revision of my own novel, might probably not be such a good idea, for it will get me in another one of 'I can't write'moods. :) But, once I get it into my head that a novel this good can actually inspire me to write better, I'll give it a go. :)

-- Joyce

#122 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

Well, that's most kind but the last thing I would want is to discourage you.

Let's just both keep hammering away and see where we get to. :)

That's not meant to be a euphemism, by the way. :)

#123 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:05 PM

You know, I'm actually starting to get a little angry that the folks at Ian Fleming Publications aren't (presumably, anyway) beating down Jim's door. They have no continuation author and no new book in the pipeline? (Yes, I'm disregarding Higson.) Well, here's the solution, in the shape of a superb writer who deserves a wider readership (yeah, yeah, I know "Just Another Kill" can already be read by anyone on this planet with a computer and internet access, but you know what I mean).

This baby deserves to be printed, bound and shipped to shops, and that's bloody well all I have to say on the matter! :)

#124 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:34 PM

I agree. Only read chapter one as i'm waiting for the whole thing and a mammoth read, but from that chapter alone it's coming over as a spanking good novel and perfect continuation materialo. I also love that it's period set. If i were you Jim I'd mail a copy of this book to R. Benson when it's complete. He has no reason for not reading a fan's Bond novel now he's done with Bond, and he'd be insane to not at least give at least chapter one a read. It may be a pointless exercise but it's worth a shot and he does know all the folk involved with IFP etc. I'd certainly do it if it were my novel. The hell with legal action, you're not making money from it, if anything it would cost you money to print and bind it + the time and effort that's gone into the writing and researching. Worthy of readership beyond these forum pages.

HAWK

#125 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

Worthy of readership beyond these forum pages.

Absolutely. And I may be wrong, but I believe one or two regular CBners have contacts at IFP/contacts with people who have contacts at IFP.

Of course, Jim may harbour no ambitions to get "Just Another Kill" published. He may not want to become a "public figure" (especially in the cut-and-thrust world of Bond fansites :) - small wonder Raymond Benson long ago gave up posting on them :) ). Only Jim knows what he wants out of "Just Another Kill"/life as a whole. Awesomely arrogant of any of us here to concoct his desires for him.

So, not to speak out of turn or otherwise tread on Jim's toes here, but, look, this is just my two cents: JAK is utterly marvellous, and in a perfect world IFP would already have announced Jim as Benson's successor.

(But then I might as well ask why zencat hasn't been asked to work on the BOND 21 script. Do we live in a perfect world? Do we buggery.)

#126 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:14 AM

"Humbled"

:)

#127 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:33 AM

Long ago I said Jim should be published beyond this site, and chapter eight is further proof of this.

I must say that Tempest now has my full attention, even though I suspect I won't be seeing her again. She is most curious to me for many reasons. Without giving away too much, I wonder if Bond wasn't the only one lying about their profession.

-- Xenobia

#128 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:05 PM

I particularly like how the book looks as if it's a Fleming novel. My question is:

How did you create the cover? Which font's did you use?

I'm eager to find out.

#129 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 03:29 PM

Jim, I'd like to add to the chorus of appreciation currently reddening your ears. I had to register with CBN simply to say thanks for a gripping read. I've skimmed over a few Bond fan fictions on the net and, while admiring the hard work that has gone into all of these efforts, yours is the only tale in which I've felt in safe hands. You have the Fleming touch. Somehow you've concocted that heady brew of excitement, ennui, fear, travel, esoterica, eroticism and (very black) humour which attracted me to Fleming's Bond in the first place.

Just Another Kill puts the reader inside Bond's head and only lets that person escape to explore another person's reaction to 007 - Universal Export's doorman, for instance.

After reading five and a half chapters it's clear that JAK is full of things to admire: Bond glimpsing his reflection in the Universal Export nameplate, his humdrum workplace, his refusal to acknowledge that perhap he's slipping a bit...I could go on. In fact, I will - the jet-black description of the train fight and aftermath (perhaps the best part of JAK so far), the atmospheric Italian interlude and savage finale, etc.

Interrupting the story for a tale of colonial lust and rage added that supposedly supernatural edge a la Dr No/Live and Let Die. It had that Fleming feel of "Thought this was a straight spy story? I'm a little better than that."

Congratulations on Bond's struggle to get his hands on some little white pills. Hardly Queensberry rules! Your telling verged on the hallucinatory and I loved the detail of Bond tearing the tarpaulin with his teeth and then later looking at the hole in wonderment.

Things that might need tinkering with (into each life a little rain must fall) include Bond's soliloquies on his life/the meaning of life. These show a good understanding of the character but are sometimes a little lengthy and overwrought as though you're attempting to be a "fine" writer instead of concentrating on the matter in hand. You're a fine stylist already, so don't over-egg the pudding.

The "haircut" scene is terrific - Bond's interior monologue debating his sensuousness and professionalism, etc. - but I thought it was a little too soon for Tempest to jump in the bath with Bond. I know she's a "Bond girl" but it didn't ring true, especially for a nice gel in 1962. It's good to see that you're under no illusions about Bond's vulnerability - making him lick pills off the floor is something I'm sure would appeal to Fleming's fondness of providing a motive for some well-earned retribution.

Confession time - I have started to write a Bond short story but now know that I could never reach your standard. Anyway, I've rattled on for long enough. Perhaps the highest compliment I can pay is that you've breathed life into a moribund Scottish peasant - did his breath smell of vodka martini? :-)

I loved the "thrilling cities" reference...

Can't wait to read the rest of Just Another Kill!

#130 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:58 AM

I seem to have killed off this thread. :) I wrote my post in the first flush of enthusiasm - I didn't mean to gush. :)

"Dishipline, Double-Oh-Sheven, dishipline..."

#131 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

It's coming.

Apologies for the wait. The usual colossal pretension, hideous and unnecessary violence and a litany of severely depressing and grubby incidents

...have prevented me from getting on with it as rapidly as I had wished.

#132 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:45 AM

"Publishing" chapter by chapter must back you into a corner somewhat, I would've thought.

Perhaps you are supremely confident in your whole story layout and planned narrative.

#133 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:47 AM

I for one await the next chapter with anticipation. :)

#134 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:17 AM

"Publishing" chapter by chapter must back you into a corner somewhat, I would've thought.

Perhaps you are supremely confident in your whole story layout and planned narrative.

View Post

I know where it's going.

Not sure where it's been, though.

#135 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Two words I want to hear:

"JAK's back!"

#136 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:14 AM

Two words I want to hear:

"JAK's back!"

View Post

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS MANY, MANY MAJOR SPOILERS

Agreed. When will Archives of Pain be ready? Obviously I don't want to rush you - though I quite patently am - but you've got an irritating fanbase now Mr Stewart who are ravenous for more.

I'll be honest from the outset here and declare I've already read most of what has been published by Mr Stewart and have sung its praises over at AJB in the past. Many a time I have endeavoured to post my thoughts as I know how useful feedback can be to develop one's craft - and ego :) - however something always got in the way: exams, essays, politics... typical unimportant stuff. Nevertheless, here I am, better late than never, or better never than late - depends what I thought of it, I suppose.

This post will concentrate solely on chapter one and I'll post later on as I continue re-reading Just Another Kill. And what can be said about Meat Is Murder? Well, it's violent, it's gritty, it's dark. If you don't like this, go watch Diamonds Are Forever. Luckily I think this is just brill (when did that word ever go out of fashion - I've not used it in about a decade). There's talk of blunt blades struggling to slash open a haemophiliac Austrian's throat, smoking in a church ( :) ), cut and gushing eyeballs and the slitting of Bond's stomach with plenty of blood leaking all over the shop. The slit in the stomach is then punched for good measure, after Bond cracked his assailant's jaw and wrist on the tenth attempt. Yup, the violence is there all in chapter one, and described in vivid detail. But - and here is where Mr Stewart's abilities as a writer come through - it is never gory, and the writing is superb.

The opening chapter is an interesting one for it deals with Bond's toying with the idea of resignation and the reasons for it - reminiscing over botched missions. To be fair, 007 does regret his violence - killing Rostakoff by stamping on his head after hearing repeated refrains of 'Kill me'. Should he resign or be sacked? The ending is a perfect way to conclude the chapter: 'Well, 007? Staying or going?'

The world in Just Another Kill is vintage James Bond where men are men and women are, well, women. You get my point. 'Good looking piece, too' pretty much demonstrates my point. 'Some personal attention from that girl ... wouldn't go amiss, either' does too. This refreshingly and decidedly non-PC world I like very much in a 1960s Bond story (and is very Fleming), though Germaine Greer may want to look away now (Ms Greer, in fact, can piss off and do lots of things - all of which are far too detailed and nauseating to go into now).

Stewart's prose is undeniably distinguished with listless examples I particularly enjoyed (brief example: 'That was what the profession was. That was what the building would do. Cloaks, masks, mirrors; a world smothered in shadows.') The wit too is served darkest black: 'He had toyed with the idea that, to wipe up the free-flowing blood, he should use pages from the blasted dossier, and then present that to M. How richly ironic. How inevitable the court martial.' Too good, too good. As is Bond 'grimly' smiling to himself that the just deceased 004 could have easily owned a cat rather than a dog - 'He didn't remember and now there was no need to.' Did I mention it was quite dark?

Altogether a classy piece of work indeed, Jim.

Having begun re-reading Just Another Kill while writing my own fanfic (seldom a good decision) I have come to the conclusion that in comparison - though that is highly presumptuous/audacious of me - I am a John Gardner to your Ian Fleming. I

Edited by Lazenby880, 02 July 2005 - 01:21 AM.

#137 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:51 AM

I re-read this ages ago and meant to post something then; these comments will be more general and rambling and unspecific from what I can remember, picking up where I left of all those months ago, and aimed at getting Jim to hurry up and finish the novel! Is there a time-scale at all, or will JAK-fans be kept in more suspense?

Actually I should, first of all, ask about the pseudonym under which you have chosen to write Just Another Kill. It has always intrigued me. Are you a fan of Michael Innes/J.I.M. Stewart? Since it was as Innes that he wrote the Inspector Appleby series I find it a trifle odd that you have chosen his real name as your pen name. Stewart did remark when interviewed that it would be the works written under his pen name that would outlast those of J.I.M. Stewart: "Innes is rather better at what he does than Stewart is at what he does".

Edited by Lazenby880, 01 September 2006 - 12:34 PM.

#138 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

[quote name='Lazenby880' post='595251' date='28 August 2006 - 02:51']
I re-read this ages ago and meant to post something then; these comments will be more general and rambling and unspecific from what I can remember, picking up where I left of all those months ago, and aimed at getting Jim to hurry up and finish the novel! Is there a time-scale at all, or will JAK-fans be kept in more suspense?[/quote]

It is finished by New Year's Eve 2006.

[quote]Actually I should, first of all, ask about the pseudonym under which you have chosen to write Just Another Kill. It has always intrigued me. Are you a fan of Michael Innes/J.I.M. Stewart? Since it was as Innes that he wrote the Inspector Appleby series I find it a trifle odd that you have chosen his real name as your pen name. Stewart did remark when interviewed that it would be the works written under his pen name that would outlast those of J.I.M. Stewart: "Innes is rather better at what he does than Stewart is at what he does".

#139 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

It is finished by New Year's Eve 2006.

Oooh! :)

And as for your 7000 posts, don't worry. I am always entertained and informed at the same time. :P

#140 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

Chapter nine is coming.

#141 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

I must say, it is very nice to see this old thread popping up.

We'll be waiting patiently, Jim. :cooltongue:

#142 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Goody. :cooltongue:

Edited by Hitch, 02 July 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#143 TortillaFactory

TortillaFactory

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:17 AM

NO WAY.

I await it with baited breath.

#144 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

The long awaited beginning of Part Two of Just Another Kill, Chapter 9 / Archives of Pain, is now online. The wait was well worth it.

#145 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Jim, you rock.

#146 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hurrah! :cooltongue:

*cracks knuckles, wets tip of forefinger, turns first page of chapter nine*

#147 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hurrah! JAK returns. As do I. long time no post folks. Not been talking but i've still been reading.

#148 draxingtonstanley

draxingtonstanley

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

Superb stuff. I had one nervous moment in one of the earlier chapters with a dove in the church-I thought it might do a double take-but that aside,a real page turner(or the computer equivalent). Thanks Jim.

#149 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:06 AM

Jim, you rock.

I find that the older I get, it's more rolling than rocking. But you're very kind.

Chapter 10 will be along much sooner than chapter 9 was.

#150 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

I'm glad this thread came back to life. I just read the first two chapters and have downloaded the rest to my Treo for the trip to DTBB2.

Excellent writing so far Jim - Thanks!