This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Moonraker Trading Cards (Bet Ya Haven't Look at Those in Awhile!)

11 replies to this topic

#1 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Anyone have any loose original MR trading cards? I have a set but recently wound-up with a near complete second; just missing 5, 7, 10, 46, 58, and 90.

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I hadn't looked at my cards for decades, until you posted this!

I have one almost-complete set; of the cards you mentioned I'm only missing #58. I don't what else is missing, as I have them arranged in proper chronological order (who was responsible for numbering them? Must not have ever seen the film).

I never was into collecting cards - I only collected the Moonraker cards because that was all there was in the dark days before home VCRs.

While digging for the MR cards, I discovered that I also have 22 out of 66 'V' cards from 1984, and a bunch from the 1991 Addams Family movie - including four packs I never even opened!

Perhaps this lot will be worth something to someone some day.

#3 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I got some, nine I think ;)

#4 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

I saw my set of the Moonraker cards just the other day. Very cool. I think there's a few deleted scenes shown in the set as well. I also have all of the stickers as well.
Very cool. Just watched Moonraker again tonight as well!

#5 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

I have 1 complete set and factory sealed box. I bought the card set during an off day from sleepaway camp as a camper. I felt so lucky walking into that antique shop and noticing the set among all the knick knack padiwacks. I think it cost me a couple of bucks

#6 E S Blofeld

E S Blofeld

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't have any loose cards -- I do, however, have a box full of sealed packs. Somewhere... ;)

#7 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

I think there's a few deleted scenes shown in the set as well.

There is a shot in there from some sort exercise/meditation center aboard the space station. I had a chance a few years back to ask Chiles about it and she had no recollection of the set/scene.

Meanwhile, I still need #58!

#8 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think there's a few deleted scenes shown in the set as well.

There is a shot in there from some sort exercise/meditation center aboard the space station. I had a chance a few years back to ask Chiles about it and she had no recollection of the set/scene.

Meanwhile, I still need #58!

Thanks for the post. The scene you refer to was a chamber for the Drax couples to "populate". Interesting that it was even filmed.
Interesting that Chiles doesn't recall it or filming, however it was 30+ years ago.

#9 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the post. The scene you refer to was a chamber for the Drax couples to "populate". Interesting that it was even filmed.
Interesting that Chiles doesn't recall it or filming, however it was 30+ years ago.

The set/scene I'd really like to know more about is that boardroom which doubles as the "private crematorium." The table and chairs (and all the electronics) are amazing. I have a book with a small B&W shot of Lonsdale in a suit holding a meeting on the set. There's something about it that suggests it's studio execs (like the press conferences you see in the YOLT volcano or the Liparus) as opposed to, I dunno ... Drax's investors?

#10 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

I can imagine the scene:

"We've invested billions in your space station, Drax - several times what it cost to launch the pieces into orbit and assemble it. Now our accountants tell us you've been building hidden launch sites all over the world! What gives?"

"Your accountants neglected to tell you about this chamber - what I like to call my 'Goldfinger' briefing room. At the mere touch of a button..."

Squash!

Edited by AMC Hornet, 08 May 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#11 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

I can imagine the scene:

"We've invested billions in your space station, Drax - several times what it cost to launch the pieces into orbit and assemble it. Now our accountants tell us you've been building hidden launch sites all over the world! What gives?"

"Your accountants neglected to tell you about this chamber - what I like to call my 'Goldfinger' briefing room. At the mere touch of a button..."

Squash!

In this, the Trump era, the scene would be ripe for a "You're fired!" joke ...

#12 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

The set/scene I'd really like to know more about is that boardroom which doubles as the "private crematorium." The table and chairs (and all the electronics) are amazing. I have a book with a small B&W shot of Lonsdale in a suit holding a meeting on the set. There's something about it that suggests it's studio execs (like the press conferences you see in the YOLT volcano or the Liparus) as opposed to, I dunno ... Drax's investors?

It's an amazing set for sure. I've read and heard many times that there was not anything further filmed on the set for Moonraker.
Seems strange as it was an amazing set for sure.