7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

The new title's certainly an improvement over How I Spent My Summer Vacation. And the trailer's lookin' mighty fine...as one critic has dubbed it, Payback Part 2. So I was slightly if not taken completely by surprise to see that it won't open in theaters.

What did surprise me was the news of a 'bold' arrangement with Direct TV to open this promising-looking film as a TV on demand special. I don't get the impression of Mel throwing in the towel after disappointing box office returns on The Beaver and Edge of Darkness. I don't have all the facts. But I'm left wondering if Mel has found a way of transforming his Hollywood Bad Karma into gold.

Any opinions or further info?

#2 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

I've seen the poster for the film and It looks like a good action film, haven't seen a trailer yet, will probably look on youtube. Shame it's not going to be released in theaters as I was glad he was going back to an action thriller film that looked good. oh well, DVD time for me.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hadn't heard about this film. Love the trailer. Seems very reminiscent of THE MATADOR, a film I'm very fond of. May have to check this one out.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

What film are we talking about?

#5 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

I believe we're discussing Get the Gringo, previously called How I Spent My Summer Vacation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2y_aJkJXM

It does look fun. Don't think the DirectTV thing is anything that radical unfortunately; pretty similar to arrangements for a number of limited release films over the last couple of years. But the film only cost $20million, it'll make a profit in no time.

I liked The Beaver too for what it's worth.

#6 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Safari, I agree about The Beaver--and also Edge of Darkness. This film may be important in Mel's career rehabilitation because it may convince studios and distributors that MG's name does not spell box office death. And it may show audiences that Mel can still be FUN, something he hasn't been on screen in years. To fantasize the math: if the film cost $20 mil and MG defers his salary (smart move, if so) and the film brings in $50-75 mil...Mel shouldn't look too darn shabby. I'd have loved to see it in theaters, yes, but I fear it might have been orphaned by timid executives and died in theaters. Better, all around, if this baby collects hot reviews, good viewer buzz, etc. Better still if DiCaprio gets off his high horse and makes that Viking movie...or if Downey succeeds in partnering with Mel. Hell, if Mickey Rourke's career could be saved, surely so can Mel's.

#7 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Looks alright.

I want Gibson to get back on his feet, but I haven't been crazy about anything he's done since he fell far out of favor.

#8 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Seems this is actually getting a release in UK Cinemas on 11th May, under the original title of How I Spent My Summer Vacation too.