This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Do you feel like there are enough locations?

5 replies to this topic

#1 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Do you feel like there are enough locations being used for Skyfall? So far, what I know is that we have London, Shanghai, and Istanbul being used as primary locations. I assume that outskirts within these countries will also be used to some extent. Are there any others? I think the film has a good amount of places to keep the exotic, world travel vibe that many of the past films have had. I like what I'm hearing, so far, and I am almost certain that Skyfall will be a better movie than Quantum of Solace was.

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

More than enough.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Locations can double for other locations. Who knows what the final tally will be.

#4 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

It's hard to tell whether there are "enough" locations without knowing the details of the story. I know of some people who genuinely believe that the ultimte success or failure of the film will hinge on how many locations there are and how long Bond spends in each of them, which is a ridiculous approach to it.

#5 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

I travel a good deal, and I've always been fascinated by the world and different countries, so the exotic locations were one of the first things that really drew me into the series.

There's a side of me that would like to see a globetrotting Bond to exotic locales, but I know that doesn't necessarily make a good film. With SKYFALL, we know three confirmed countries for shooting - UK, China and Turkey - which doesn't seem a lot compared to previous efforts, but if you extrapolate it, it's not too bad at all:

- London. One of the world's most famed cities, Bond's home town but sorely underused in the series up until now. In addition, it seems that we'll see a lot of the rougher bits of the capital; an interesting contrast to the usual glamour.

- Highlands. Even though Scottish filming seems to be scrapped, the Welsh planning permission suggests there will be wilderness scenes. The UK's countryside has rarely been used in its own right, so this is a good move as far as I'm concerned.

- Istanbul. Another of the world's great cities and one of my favourite places. Poorly used in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH and effectively used in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. Time to update it for a glossy 21st century Bond.

- Southern Turkey. An area I don't know much about, but for that reason alone, it excites me. The areas around Fethiye look stunning and reports suggest we could get a cracking train sequence.

- Shanghai. Never been but those who have tell me that it's one of the most vibrant cities in an ever-growing superpower. The neon highways look like a unique addition to the series.

Putting those all together, that brings at least five very diverse locations. I think the location style of SKYFALL will be striking in the contrast between each place used, and I'm rather looking forward to how Mendes and Deakins bring them to us.

#6 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Honestly, there's plenty! It's absolutely true that it is all about the story, but I look back on all my favourite Bond storys and they tend to gravitate towards fewer location hoppings and more exploration of locations. FRWL and Dr No are prime examples.. Thunderball too!

It'll be great to see Bond back in Istanbul, I am particularly looking foreward to seeing what they have in store for him there. One guarentee is that it'll be a billion times better than the balls they did in TWINE.