507 replies to this topic

#1 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

Sifting through the filming thread was becoming a bit of a struggle so I'm branching off here. Apologies for the inevitable repetition but it would be good to have all rumours and speculation about this potential location in one place.

I've been looking through the Brecon Beacons Authority planning register, and even though most of the details have been reproduced elsewhere, it seems worth reproducing some of the info, as the website appears to suggest that the approval for filming will be given or declined at the start of the week (if it hasn't been already).

The reference for the proposal submitted by Russell Lodge on 13th December is 11/07498/FUL. It's worth keeping an eye on the site for any developments, as a poster on another (non-Bond) forum has posted that he found the application documents through the site and remarked that "architecturally, the proposed manor house looks vaguely Scottish".

The given location is Mynydd y Llan, Myddfai, Llandovery. It seems that they'd be aiming to start working there in mid-March.

Edited by Jim, 31 January 2012 - 06:18 PM.
Thread named changed at threadstarter's request

#2 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

Nice work Vauxhall! Scottish manor still on then. Good show.

#3 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:56 AM

nice find...do you have any link to your findings?

#4 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

I like that the Beacons are a loney, isolated expanse of moorland. At the risk of sounding like Marc Forster and his over-reliance of symbolism in locations, I think it will really fit in with the tone of the film, assuming that what we know about the film is actually representative of it. I get the sense that some small part of SKYFALL is going to show the world the characters inhabit as being entirely separate from the rest of the world. They know things that the public does not, things that the public cannot know (and when those worlds overlap, chaos ensues). There's also the angle about M's past coming back to haunt her. If it's something buried, something that it was intended to stay hidden and if it is connected in some way to this manor house, then the isolation of the manor house will be fitting.

#5 # 11

# 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

The damaged chapel looks very nice indeed. Quite a bit old. Gothic I'd say.
While the manor house reminds me more of a conglomerate of many lodges.

#6 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Considering that there hasn't been any construction, it might be a little hard to get pictures.

#7 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

The damaged chapel looks very nice indeed. Quite a bit old. Gothic I'd say.
While the manor house reminds me more of a conglomerate of many lodges.

Where does this impression come from?

#8 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I found it. If it was down for maintenance, it's back up. There are no pictures or plans or anything attached to it. So whoever is claiming that they've seen some kind of plan is talking out of his backside.

#9 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I found it. If it was down for maintenance, it's back up. There are no pictures or plans or anything attached to it. So whoever is claiming that they've seen some kind of plan is talking out of his backside.

Well I'm claiming to have seen them, in fact, I have them as a pdf on my desktop now.

#10 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

There are pictures and plans in that link you´ve provided us Captain.

#11 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Looks pretty manor-house-ish. Neat, though. Far cry from Duntrune Castle.

#12 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for finding the documents, team. I was unable to open the zip file on my iPad, but glad you all got there in the end!

#13 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

G-R-E-A-T! Thank you all.

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

Well I'm claiming to have seen them, in fact, I have them as a pdf on my desktop now.

Hey, go easy on me - I posted that at some ungodly hour so we'd all be able to take a look at the planning application.

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Are we sure this is the Bond film? Or is it at this stage still an assumption based on the fact that only Bond would go to this much trouble?

Nice find no matter...

#16 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

Given that Bond was apparently scheduled for such a similar location in Scotland (which was knowingly scrapped) and whatever this company is has the commercial wherewithal to *build* an entire manor house facade...I think we can assume it's Bond.

#17 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Can´t help looking at those plans, specially the manor and thinking...Kaboommmm!

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:43 AM

Here are direct links to some of the relevant PDFs:

The location of the the entrance, gate/low wall, manor house/lodge, and chapel on the map

The manor house

The derelict chapel

The damaged wall

#19 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

Very, very nice. I wonder if we´ll get some construction pictures while it´s being build? Or maybe they´ll have a big incandescent Hound to scare of the fans?

#20 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-16794540
Brecon Beacons film location pull out after James Bond speculation

A movie production firm has pulled out of location filming in the Brecon Beacons that sparked speculation it was shooting for the new James Bond film.
The film company, which has not declared its identity or details about the film, had asked to use Mynydd y Llan near Llandovery.
"Logistical filming factors" have been blamed for the company pulling out.
The park authority, which had fast-tracked the planning request, said it was "incredibly disappointed".
The agent for the film company had said it could spend up to £1.4m locally.
The unnamed film firm had told the park authority's planning officer's that it intended to bring in 200 people for the production near Myddfai, Carmarthenshire.
It has said it was looking for access to the land for a period of three months, along with permission to create a chapel and manor house. Filming would take place over three weeks.
Any location work would have needed the approval of the Welsh government but that approval is no longer required.
A spokeswoman for Brecon Beacons National Park Authority said: "We have been informed that the area of Mynydd y Llan will not be used as a film set in early 2012 due to logistical filming factors.
"Of course we are all incredibly disappointed but we always understood that we were just one of many locations the film company was considering.
"From the very early stages of scouting right through to the planning application, our officers have worked particularly hard to make this project happen.
"We hope to encourage more filming opportunities like this in the near future, so we wish the film crew every success and assure them of a warm Welsh welcome should they come back to the Brecon Beacons to film."

#21 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

What the hell?? First the production abandons Dumtrune Castle in Scotland and now this... This is VERY odd! That sneaky bugger, Sam Mendes can't make up his mind on a suitable filming location! LOL..

#22 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Curious that someone would feel the need to pull out because of James Bond speculation.
I'm guessing that they simply have many irons in the fire, this was one and it didn't work out.

Or... they are planning something so secret that they need the privacy of being able to film without the risk of any paparazzi or persistent fans around.

#23 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

How curious. Well, now that we've seen the proposals, we at least know what the manor house will look like!m

#24 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Classic misinformation campaign! I love it!

They already filmed that sequence someplace else.

No, that´s just something my second cousin´s neighbour´s animal trainer´s fiance´s lover´s third son of his previous marriage said.

#25 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Or... they are planning something so secret that they need the privacy of being able to film without the risk of any paparazzi or persistent fans around.

Maybe, although it would have been pretty easy to establish a perimeter in the Beacons.

#26 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

For all we know, (and I now suspect that this is the case) the Beacons were a back-up plan, probably, for somewhere in Scotland.

Remember, both Wales and Rannoch Moor were talked about as possible alternatives by Robin Malcolm when his castle was cancelled.
Russell Lodge (Skyfall’s Location Manager and the man handling the Beacons application) had paid him a personal visit to explain, so Rannoch Moor could well have been somewhere that was mentioned at that time. The preferred location perhaps.

#27 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

For what it's worth, The Highland Council don't appear to have received a similar planning request - or they've hidden it in their systems better!

http://www.highland....ng-bw-lists.htm

#28 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

For what it's worth, The Highland Council don't appear to have received a similar planning request - or they've hidden it in their systems better!

http://www.highland....ng-bw-lists.htm

Interesting.

Just looked again at the above article. This quote in particular seems to be important.

“Of course we are all incredibly disappointed but we always understood that we were just one of many locations the film company was considering”

#29 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Maybe, although it would have been pretty easy to establish a perimeter in the Beacons.

True - but it's all about distance. Too far and managing the perimeter would be a nightmare, too close and there could easily be angles for the paps to get shots from a distance.

I think it's much more likely, though, that this was just a backup location.

#30 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

STV News' Entertainment Reporter Grant Laughlan tweets:

"A perfectly placed source tells me that 007 is heading to Scotland for filming. This week. Where? Not even MI6 knows."