70 replies to this topic

#31 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

I'm still not convinced that there is a chase in London at all. We saw all of the vehicles moving in convoy, but based on what (admittedly little) we know, all of the passengers in each of the cars were MI6 personnel. So unless Bond is racing M across the city because he knows there is an ambush lying in wait, I don't think that will be a chase. I think the chase will come in "Scotland" - Deptford and Elstead.

#32 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

It could be a car chase without James Bond.

It could be, but I'm not really sure how that would work. Who would be chasing, and who would be being chased?

I don't know... Perhaps Javier Bardem's character would be chasing Ola Rapace's (a kind of henchman).
For instance, Ola Rapace fails doing something (killing James Bond or another spy sent by MI6 to recover informations about a satellite, a terrorist organization, whatever), he gets scared and tries to escape, and Javier Bardem assists the scene and start chasing him on Shanghai highways.

#33 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

It’s quite normal for the actor playing James Bond to not actually be present for the stunt driving – Don’t read anything into the fact that Craig wasn’t there.

#34 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

It’s quite normal for the actor playing James Bond to not actually be present for the stunt driving – Don’t read anything into the fact that Craig wasn’t there.

Its only 3 hours from Manila to Shanghai. I said earlier, he only had a handbag, but his film clothes etc could be in Manila already. Him being in Asia and not being involved in the scenes would be a missed opportunity IMO.

#35 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

You're right Shrublands!
Would you believe that in QoS none of the scenes set on Lake Garda,on the Vestito Pass and at the marble quarries of Carrara was filmed with Daniel Craig behind the wheel? The scenes where you see Daniel Craig behind the wheel were shot at Pinewood Studios using Blue Screens.
If you want to know more about this technique, look here:
http://entertainment...blue-screen.htm

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 22 January 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#36 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I believe that is false. We've seen numerous photos of Craig behind the wheel on location. Example, the cut scene where the Aston's tipped on its side.

#37 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

That doesn't mean he must always be on location, or behind the wheel for every second of footage that is shot.

#38 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

I believe that is false. We've seen numerous photos of Craig behind the wheel on location. Example, the cut scene where the Aston's tipped on its side.

Don't accuse me to lie, MattofSteel. I understand your statement and I think it is probably caused by your incomplete knowledge of how the shooting was done. From what I know, Daniel Craig spent a day at the quarries of Carrara to film a sequence where the Aston Martin DBS was expected to tip on its side. The photos you're talking about are the only ones that show Daniel Craig behind the wheel.
Erm... numerous photos...How many other photos did you see? I'm curious to see them!
I'm afraid that what you stated is false instead. Since that scene does not appear in the final version of the film, what I said isn't false.Consider also that in that scene it wasn't even Daniel Craig driving

#39 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

I did not mean to accuse you of lying, Luigi, but you're not correct. You suggested, very clearly: "none of the scenes set on Lake Garda,on the Vestito Pass and at the marble quarries of Carrara was filmed with Daniel Craig behind the wheel".

In your next post, you completely contradicted yourself: "From what I know, Daniel Craig spent a day at the quarries of Carrara to film a sequence."

?

And there were, in fact, various photos showing Craig on set in Italy during the Aston chase filming:

http://www.autoalert...on-purpose.html

The 'numerous other photos' I was referring to are in the 'Bond on Set' book dedicated to QOS. He's quite clearly filming in the quarry, and not in a Pinewood studio environment.

You may be correct in saying that much of what is in the finished film are bluescreen shots, but Craig was definitely shooting in the quarries. That was your original point, and the only one I meant to address.

#40 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

That highway looks so sweet. This should be insane, and we might even get a taste in the trailer!

#41 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

@MattofSteel:in my statement there is no contraddiction, as I was clearly referring to the definitive version of the film, but you seem to have a predilection to point out everything I say.
On a side note,in none of the photos at the link you've just posted Daniel Craig is behind the wheel of the DBS : in 2 photos It's Martin Ivanov performing his stunt, in the second one there's another crew member and in the last one Daniel Craig is going to the set .
Numerous photos: I remember that in the book "Bond on set" the photos featuring DC behind the wheel of the DBS in the quarries of Carrara are 2 and both belong to the deleted scene...Right?
But you are free to think that I'm wrong and I'm saying untrue things...

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 22 January 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#42 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

If Craig didn't shoot any of the car sequences why was he practicing before the shoot? Also I'm also pretty certain he did at least SOME of the driving for the opening chase. I believe the section in the quarry was blue screen however. Who cares, though, looking how friggen cool that neon highway is!

#43 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Who cares, though, looking how friggen cool that neon highway is!

And there was that big neon sign in the introduction video posted on 007.com that everyone said was remniscent of BLADE RUNNER. Not to mentioned the clapperboard photo of the neon-green martini bar. So it would appear that there is going to be a lot of neon in Shanghai.

#44 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Who cares, though, looking how friggen cool that neon highway is!

And there was that big neon sign in the introduction video posted on 007.com that everyone said was remniscent of BLADE RUNNER. Not to mentioned the clapperboard photo of the neon-green martini bar. So it would appear that there is going to be a lot of neon in Shanghai.

I noticed that as well. That must be how the film will define the location. Interesting stuff, really. Hopefully it doesn't wind up being too artificial looking.

#45 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

If Craig didn't shoot any of the car sequences why was he practicing before the shoot? Also I'm also pretty certain he did at least SOME of the driving for the opening chase. I believe the section in the quarry was blue screen however. Who cares, though, looking how friggen cool that neon highway is!

If you think that Daniel Craig is really the one who is driving in SOME of the shots of the opening sequence of QoS this means that they have done a very good job in post-production...;)
You're right when you say that DC was practicing before the shoot: he did some practice in England (with a BMW M3, if I remember correctly) taking Ben Collins ( The Stig) as instructor. Why they decided to add the interior shots of the car in post production is obvious.

However, has been created a useless debate : my initial post had the purpose to point out that not having DC on the set doesn't automatically mean that we won't see a sequence featuring 007 driving in Shanghai in the upcoming film. Just.

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 22 January 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#46 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hopefully it doesn't wind up being too artificial looking.

I wouldn't have problems with an artificial look, so long as that look is consistent. When it was annouced that Bond would visit Dubai in Carte Blanche, a lot of people hopes that the city would be characterised as totally false; pretty to look at, but without about as much depth as a puddle. The kind of place that Bond would despise. It didn't happen, but I could see Shanghai being overly-gaudy and unnecessary to the point of being overwhelming for Bond - the kind of place where architects design fantastic buildings in competition with one another rather than in harmony so that the net effect is like being in a classroom fully of aggressively-enthusiastic kindergarten kids. The trick is to make it clash with Bond's sensibilities, but to avoid the audience disconnecting because the colours are too jarring.

#47 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I wouldn't have problems with an artificial look, so long as that look is consistent. When it was annouced that Bond would visit Dubai in Carte Blanche, a lot of people hopes that the city would be characterised as totally false; pretty to look at, but without about as much depth as a puddle. The kind of place that Bond would despise. It didn't happen, but I could see Shanghai being overly-gaudy and unnecessary to the point of being overwhelming for Bond - the kind of place where architects design fantastic buildings in competition with one another rather than in harmony so that the net effect is like being in a classroom fully of aggressively-enthusiastic kindergarten kids. The trick is to make it clash with Bond's sensibilities, but to avoid the audience disconnecting because the colours are too jarring.

The "gilt trash" motif was one of my favourites from the Fleming books, but it seems to be largely lost in the movies and fans seem to expect Bond's world to be unironically sophisticated all the time. I think TWINE actually nailed it fairly well with its take on Baku. The scene where Bond tilts his x-ray specs at the beautiful women only to reveal an arsenal under their lingerie is classic and hits that Fleming sneer perfectly. (Except for, you know, the x-ray specs part.)

Edited by Zographos, 23 January 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#48 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

The "gilt trash" motif was one of my favourites from the Fleming books, but it seems to be largely lost in the movies and fans seem to expect Bond's world to be unironically sophisticated all the time. I think TWINE actually nailed it fairly well with its take on Baku. The scene where Bond tilts his x-ray specs at the beautiful women only to reveal an arsenal under their lingerie is classic and hits that Fleming sneer perfectly. (Except for, you know, the x-ray specs part.)

Yeah and even that was probably unintentional.

#49 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

@MattofSteel:in my statement there is no contraddiction, as I was clearly referring to the definitive version of the film, but you seem to have a predilection to point out everything I say.
On a side note,in none of the photos at the link you've just posted Daniel Craig is behind the wheel of the DBS : in 2 photos It's Martin Ivanov performing his stunt, in the second one there's another crew member and in the last one Daniel Craig is going to the set .
Numerous photos: I remember that in the book "Bond on set" the photos featuring DC behind the wheel of the DBS in the quarries of Carrara are 2 and both belong to the deleted scene...Right?
But you are free to think that I'm wrong and I'm saying untrue things...

Luigi, I'm not coming after you for lying. I simply disagree.

You stated in your original post, definitively, that Craig was never behind the wheel for any of the Aston scenes set in Italy: "Would you believe that in QoS none of the scenes set on Lake Garda,on the Vestito Pass and at the marble quarries of Carrara was filmed with Daniel Craig behind the wheel?"

That statement could be interpreted both ways (shooting scenes vs. final film). You absolutely were not "clearly referring to the definitive version of the film," although I actually went out of my way to acknowledge that's probably what you meant.

To me, that statement implies you meant Craig was not on location for shooting these sequences at all. I only ever disagreed with that, because we know he was.

The photos I linked clearly show him on set for those shooting days. Why else would he be there, if not for filming? He's certainly not showing up to set in his full Bond attire just to hang out with the crew. And Bond spends the entire chase in the car - they would only need him on set, specifically, for shots of him driving.

The vast majority of Craig shots in the chase are probably bluescreen, sure. But this alone is certainly not Pinewood:

Posted Image

#50 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:36 AM

MattofSteel, I can assure you that I've seen this photo plus others 400+ photos of that car chase.
This photo shows Daniel Craig at the wheel of the DBS and was taken in the marble quarries of Carrara. It's the only shot of DC been retained in the final film. Technically, in this photo DC is not driving for real because the AM is mounted on a special camera truck that was built for filming, as you can see in many larger photos.
English is not my first language ( many of you surely have noticed it !! ) so sometimes my posts could not be fully clear and could be misinterpreted (and this appears to be the case). But there would haven't been this debate if you had used the terms "not correct" instead of "false" in your initial statement.The tone would be perceived in a completely different way...;)

However I want to put an end to this debate and reveal some behind-the-scenes of the car chase sequence of QoS that probably many of you don't know. Hopefully the next time I write something I'll face less hostility.

These are 2 extracts of an interview with Kevin Haug, the visual effects designer for QoS, that were published 3+ years ago:

http://www.fxguide.c...k_into_bondage/

Kevin Haug:Visual effects wise the main challenge on that one was that Daniel was not available for that shoot. So we had to find a way to shoot all of those interiors without him being there on location. It was a bummer for him but the schedule just wouldn’t allow it. So what happened is Dan Bradley would setup a rig that would put the camera where he would want to put it in the car. and very carefully mapped out all those angles and shot them as backgrounds with the camera where it needed to be and later matched that on set at Pinewood with Daniel in an Aston Martin that was being flung around on a big steel floor in a bluescreen set, bashing into cars and doing all that stuff but in a controlled environment. The plates were shot on location and then we did all the foregrounds later on stage. We had to add windscreens in with reflections in a lot of case. We did also have a third Alfa Romeo at one point that had to be removed. The sequence was running a bit long. The editor had a bright idea of getting rid of the third Alfa which required taking out a section of it. There’s three places where we had to remove an Alfa or pretend that the Alfa that you are looking at is a different one by dusting it up in a particular way so it looked like there was a continuity issue.

In the opening car chase sequence, "The main visual effects component is whenever you see Daniel he's on stage at Pinewood. He never went to those locations or drove those cars," Haug reveals. "When you can see inside the car, we replaced the stunt driver's head with Daniel's head. When you're inside the car with Daniel, the exterior is based on a plate we shot in Italy. The cars bashing into each other -- that was shot on a big blue screen set."

Best wishes

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 23 January 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#51 TQB

TQB

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

interesting if true.
I wish they wouldn't rely on cgi like that.

#52 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

I wish they wouldn't rely on cgi like that.

And yet most of us had no idea that it was CGI until just now - three years after the film was released.

Besides, there's CGI and then there's CGI. Everything in QUANTUM OF SOLACE was shot for real, and combined together digitally. This is done quite commonly, and it is actually very easy to make it look polished. It's no different to removing a safety wire in post-prodction, and you don't cmoplain about that. On the other hand, the infamous parasailing scene in DIE ANOTHER DAY was Pierce Brosnan in front of a green screen, and the backgrounds created from scratch using CGI. So if we're forced to have CGI, I'd say everyone would pick the former every time.

#53 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

Excellent! Can't wait to see it when it's finished! Hopefully they have a tibit of it when the trailer is out.

#54 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

These are 2 extracts of an interview with Kevin Haug, the visual effects designer for QoS, that were published 3+ years ago:

Kevin Haug:Visual effects wise the main challenge on that one was that Daniel was not available for that shoot. So we had to find a way to shoot all of those interiors without him being there on location. It was a bummer for him but the schedule just wouldn’t allow it. So what happened is Dan Bradley would setup a rig that would put the camera where he would want to put it in the car. and very carefully mapped out all those angles and shot them as backgrounds with the camera where it needed to be and later matched that on set at Pinewood with Daniel in an Aston Martin that was being flung around on a big steel floor in a bluescreen set, bashing into cars and doing all that stuff but in a controlled environment. The plates were shot on location and then we did all the foregrounds later on stage. We had to add windscreens in with reflections in a lot of case. We did also have a third Alfa Romeo at one point that had to be removed. The sequence was running a bit long. The editor had a bright idea of getting rid of the third Alfa which required taking out a section of it. There’s three places where we had to remove an Alfa or pretend that the Alfa that you are looking at is a different one by dusting it up in a particular way so it looked like there was a continuity issue.

In the opening car chase sequence, "The main visual effects component is whenever you see Daniel he's on stage at Pinewood. He never went to those locations or drove those cars," Haug reveals. "When you can see inside the car, we replaced the stunt driver's head with Daniel's head. When you're inside the car with Daniel, the exterior is based on a plate we shot in Italy. The cars bashing into each other -- that was shot on a big blue screen set."

Best wishes

I know it's off topic for the Skyfall discussion, so I just want to say that this interview is one of the most interesting I've read on the filming of QOS. Great stuff.

#55 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

MattofSteel, I can assure you that I've seen this photo plus others 400+ photos of that car chase.
This photo shows Daniel Craig at the wheel of the DBS and was taken in the marble quarries of Carrara. It's the only shot of DC been retained in the final film. Technically, in this photo DC is not driving for real because the AM is mounted on a special camera truck that was built for filming, as you can see in many larger photos.
English is not my first language ( many of you surely have noticed it !! ) so sometimes my posts could not be fully clear and could be misinterpreted (and this appears to be the case). But there would haven't been this debate if you had used the terms "not correct" instead of "false" in your initial statement.The tone would be perceived in a completely different way...;)

However I want to put an end to this debate and reveal some behind-the-scenes of the car chase sequence of QoS that probably many of you don't know. Hopefully the next time I write something I'll face less hostility.

Best wishes

I stand corrected, fascinating interview Luigi! That's incredible.

#56 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

That is indeed amazing. Many of the shots in the film, examined more closely, do seem they were done this way - making the CGI all the more an impressive technique, really.

But despite Mr. Haug's comments, we certainly have photos of Dan on location - what's that mean? I'd entirely accept that the 'finished' film is 100% CGI shots, all I ever wanted to say was that Craig was certainly there.

#57 Ace Roberts

Ace Roberts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

It seems everyone focused on the car chase - and whether Daniel Craig will be added via CGI afterwards - and missed addressing Total Film's other revelation - that there will be a spectacular action sequence at the end of the film. Now I personally hope that isn't a car chase - and means a large scale assault on the villain's hideout - with a crazy amount of hardware, agents, and fancy military gear like YOLT or OHMSS. That would be a Bond with a capital "B".

#58 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

It seems everyone focused on the car chase - and whether Daniel Craig will be added via CGI afterwards - and missed addressing Total Film's other revelation - that there will be a spectacular action sequence at the end of the film. Now I personally hope that isn't a car chase - and means a large scale assault on the villain's hideout - with a crazy amount of hardware, agents, and fancy military gear like YOLT or OHMSS. That would be a Bond with a capital "B".

Yep, presumably this is the manor house in Wales (Scotland) and it does sound as if there will be some sort of large-scale assault.
Now we don’t know if it’s the good guys attacking the villain’s hideout or villains raiding the good guys’ base.

Either way, I’d be very pleased - it’s been too long since we had a good war style climax.

#59 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yep, presumably this is the manor house in Wales (Scotland) and it does sound as if there will be some sort of large-scale assault.
Now we don’t know if it’s the good guys attacking the villain’s hideout or villains raiding the good guys’ base.

Either way, I’d be very pleased - it’s been too long since we had a good war style climax.

Twenty five years and counting. The first twenty five years gave us

TLD '87.
OCT '83.
MR '79.
TSWLM '77.
OHMSS '69.
YOLT '67.
GF '64.

Dunno if I should include TB. No way I'm including DAF. That doesn't even come close to passing the test of "good".

Edited by glidrose, 23 January 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#60 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

'Manor house' just basically means mansion, right? Googling for some images, a great many of them appear decidedly castle-like. Could be great.