#1 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52446

Was reading their preview of 2012's upcoming films this morning, the Skyfall description sort of stopped me dead:

The first James Bond film in four years. Daniel Craig returns. Sam Mendes directs. We get Javier Bardem AND Ralph Fiennes as bad guys. And we get to see the characters of Miss Moneypenny and Q come into this iteration of the franchise. Yeah, I'm excited for SKYFALL. The story - about a downed intel satellite and the scrambling of various government agencies to retrieve it - seems genuinely different than the plots we're used to. But Craig has brought to Bond the grit and grim that i've wanted ever since I saw my first Bond film (FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, if you're curious). I think Craig is the best version of the character yet - and yes, I've seen, and love, the Connery films - and I'd bet that Ian Fleming didn't figure on how this character has stayd so cool throughout the years. SKYFALL may just be what Bond fans have been waiting for.

Have I missed this up until now? Had this been suggested somewhere else? Or is it new? (*cough* fabricated *cough*)

I didn't think AICN typically made things up outright. Intriguing if true.

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like a rehash of the ATAC MacGuffin.

Still, interesting though. Not sure how it'd tie up with the "M's past comes back to haunt her" thing.

#3 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Somewhat. Sounds cool to me - definitely fits with the title, which has always sounded like an operational codename to me. "Skyfall" might be the emergency procedure the British government has when a satellite fails orbit, containing sensitive information (IE the incriminating kind from M's past).

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Sounds like a rehash of the ATAC MacGuffin.

Still, interesting though. Not sure how it'd tie up with the "M's past comes back to haunt her" thing.

The concept of competing agents or governments racing to recover a secret of some kind isn't new. The trick, as always, lies in the execution. I'm not sure how reliable this report may be, but, if true, it may be a sign that EON is prepared to introduce a greater element of the fantastic into the Craig films.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

I wonder if it's some conceit that parallel to James Bond in the British government, other governments have had equivalently brilliant and super agents (Messrs Bardem and Feinnes, say), and it all becomes a mad scramble by these 00-panache equivalents to find this thingy.

#6 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Great find. sounds a bit like For your eyes only which is my favorite Moore Bond film.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

It would make sense of the title... could be true.

#8 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I wonder if it's some conceit that parallel to James Bond in the British government, other governments have had equivalently brilliant and super agents (Messrs Bardem and Feinnes, say), and it all becomes a mad scramble by these 00-panache equivalents to find this thingy.

Would be a fantastic premisse.

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well...Happy New Year.

Oddly, just the othe other day, I was watching "Ice Station Zebra" - One of my favorites and a great movie if you haven't seen it.

Now, reading this and thinking back to my wishes for Bond 23 over the last few years, well, be careful of what you wish for.

- A stand alone Bond from the previous two - ala' Goldfinger, and a good old "follow/seek the prize (aka: MacGuffin) " sort of plot. FRWL and the Lektor, FYEO and the A.T.A.C. , The solex in TMWTGG et al.

Jim's notion of spy-vs. spy for a see who can get it first and hold on to it the longest and have it in the end bit could be wonderful. With the British stake being higher as the satellite may contain whatever info that would destroy M, it's a combination of Bond's loyalty to his job and to M herself.

I'd have to say this is our first solid tip as AICN rep has grown in terms of reliability consistantly over the years IMO.

So, let the continued speculation...er...continue.

From L.A. with Love on the first day of 2012 - Cheers.

#10 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

I read that too today on AICN. Bah! Satellite stuff in pretty much most Bond films (DAF, TND, DAD to name a few!)

Give me a break.....I hope it is something original folks.

#11 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Definitely makes sense of the title, if true.

#12 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

if this is true...it is very interesting......but can this be reliable?

#13 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

My first thought was also FYEO. However as other people have stated, it is in the execution and what they do with the McGuffin that makes the difference. I wonder how much more AICN knows about Skyfall that they are not sharing?

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

My first thought was also FYEO.

Mine was the climax of High Time to Kill - the race between Bond and The Union to get to the downed plane.

Anyway, I'm not buynug into this (not yet). A quick search of Google News for "Skyfall" only reveals Ralph Fiennes' interview with The Daily Record. Nothing on plot.

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

That's a very interesting idea for a Bond film (albeit that the series has arguably given us 00-panache equivalents before - see Anya Amasova and Wai Lin, for instance, although there's an obvious difference when it comes to casting blokes in such roles). As long as it doesn't become some sort of buddy movie, with Craig, Bardem and Fiennes setting aside their differences for The Greater Good™ and high-fiving each other at the end and buying each other pints. That would not be on.

#16 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Wonder if the plot comes from the USA-193 incident from a few years ago. It happened shortly before Quantum of Solace was released, so around the time of brainstorming for Bond 23?

Anyway, it's great that they're throwing in some real spy stuff.

#17 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

It could also draw inspiration from the Vela Incident - especially if the satellite was brought down on purpose. But I'm still not convinced that this is legitimate.

#18 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

Sounds cool to me - definitely fits with the title, which has always sounded like an operational codename to me. "Skyfall" might be the emergency procedure the British government has when a satellite fails orbit, containing sensitive information (IE the incriminating kind from M's past).

True or not, this does sound cool to me as well. Spy versus spy.

Fiennes did say he was playing a government agent...

#19 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

Interesting idea, but it's strange how he just casually stuck this in the middle of an article as if it was already a widely known fact.

#20 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

In a way, this idea strikes me as a reverse of Goldeneye. In that film, we have two agents who worked together but went separate ways. In this rumour, we'd see what it would've been like if Bond decided to stay on and join the scheme.

#21 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

Interesting idea, but it's strange how he just casually stuck this in the middle of an article as if it was already a widely known fact.

Maybe he's unaware that it's not widely known.

In a way, this idea strikes me as a reverse of Goldeneye. In that film, we have two agents who worked together but went go separate ways. In this rumour, we'd see what it would've been like if Bond decided to stay on and join the scheme.

Huh? The paragraph from AICN makes no mention of that - only that various agencies want to get their hands on it, which to me implies that it would be something of a race. I don't know where you're getting the idea of this collective approach from ... except maybe Jim's post, but I ignored that because I assumed it would just be snark.

#22 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

That's what surprised me.

#23 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

This rumour says both Bardem and Fiennes are bad guys. Whether or not they're in the field together, I assume they share the same agenda.

#24 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

.............Well then, lets get on with it!

#25 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

I'll be all kinds of on board if this is the premise. Not that I wouldn't be, anyway.

#26 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sounds great if true. Even better if Jim turns out to be right.

#27 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Just for the sake of saying it... "various government agencies" could refer to agencies from various governments, or it could mean several agencies within the same government who perhaps don't see eye-to-eye on the handling of the operation. I'd assume it's the former of the two options but thought it was worth marking the ambiguity nonetheless!

#28 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

(read with spanish accent ;))"Who says a villain is really...a bad person" - Javier Bardem at SF Press Conference. Different agencies with different agents all with the same agenda, ..., could make for the first Bond film without a true villain. Interesting.

#29 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

(read with spanish accent ;))"Who says a villain is really...a bad person" - Javier Bardem at SF Press Conference. Different agencies with different agents all with the same agenda, ..., could make for the first Bond film without a true villain. Interesting.

"without a true villain" I doubt that a lot.

Anyway it is a little strange the "Fiennes-Finney" thing. If there is some kind of twist in the movie, I think it would be quite difficult that the fans wouldn´t know before the release of the film (remember Elektra-Sophie Marceau). So let´s hope the screenwriters hadn´t made that kind of "surprise" in the middle of a Bond movie.

By the way, I don´t know if it had been said in the forum. A couple of months ago Pilar Bardem (mother of Javier and also an actress) took a prize for his son and said, more or less:

"Sorry for Javier. He couldn´t came because he is trying to kill James Bond"

Not much but maybe she knows something that we don´t ¿?

#30 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

"Sorry for Javier. He couldn´t came because he is trying to kill James Bond"

Cool mom.