29 replies to this topic

#1 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

I really hope that one moves forward. Denzel as Robert McCall...I like it. :tup:

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=85091

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hmmmm....You know, I really like that notion...

*fingers crossed*

#3 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hmmmm....You know, I really like that notion...

*fingers crossed*

Denzel Washington is certainly a bankable star, but with all due respect, I do not think he is right for McCall. McCall is half British, and I doubt that Washington could pull that off.

Instead, I will reiterate the suggestion that I made in an older forum discussion on this fantastic show--the best television show of the 1980s, by far. Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Philip Glenister and Russell Crowe would be far better (although as I stated in that old thread, Philip Glenister may not be sophisticated enough for the role). If Denzel Washington needs to be involved, he would be a fine Control. I like the suggestion that I saw in that thread of Mark Margolis reprising Jimmy--he really has not aged that much. I saw him in Person of Interest last week (a show with a lot of similarities to The Equalizer, but different in its own right) and he has not aged all that much--I looked him up and he is only 72. I will have to think about the rest of the cast.

Hope this gets off the ground, as long as it is not an Equalizer film in name only--wonder if they are using your story outline, Zencat?

Bill

And it goes without saying (so why am I saying it?!) that the film must be dedicated to the memory of Edward Woodward, and for that matter, Robert Lansing as well.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hope this gets off the ground, as long as it is not an Equalizer film in name only--wonder if they are using your story outline, Zencat?

I never wrote anything, just pitched it to The Weinstein Co and Mace Neufeld who owned the property at the time. Sounds like it's now changed hands.

Not crazy about Denzel as McCall. We were thinking Liam Neeson. I loved that idea.

#5 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

I never wrote anything, just pitched it to The Weinstein Co and Mace Neufeld who owned the property at the time. Sounds like it's now changed hands.

Not crazy about Denzel as McCall. We were thinking Liam Neeson. I loved that idea.

Liam Neeson would be a far better choice then Washington (although he does not quite have Woodward's vocal ability!)

#6 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

I like Bill's Russel Crowe casting suggestion. I really dont understand why alot of producers are picking black actors for characters that are white. This is not a racist comment and dont intend it to be viewed as such. If a character is black he should remain black and vice versa. I like Jeffrey Wright as an actor but I am still pissed that he is Felix Leiter. They couldve just made another CIA ally and cast Wright. Hollywood is doing this with many roles, Perry White is going to be Laurence Fishburn in the new SuperMan film. I dont understand this fad. The argument "but hes a great actor is garbage" because using that theory why cant Tom Hanks or Russel Crowe play Shaft

Edited by JB007YH, 13 December 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

About a year ago the press had announced Russel Crowe was attached to the role. I like the suggestion of Dalton (but not enough star power) but hate the suggestion of Brosnan. Whoever plays McCall has to have a strong, powerful voice.

One would never guess that I am a fan of the TV show ;)

#8 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

Liam Neeson = Robert MCCall

#9 screamingmoonrock

screamingmoonrock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Denzel, in my opinion would be fine, has box office clout. How about Viggo Mortesen, Idris Elba, Jason Isaccs, Ray Winstone or Sean Bean as Mccall and someone like Val Kilmer as Control?

#10 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

If they pick Denzel, they might as well call the movie Man on Fire 2: Electric Bugaloo.

I agree that Neeson is a better choice.

#11 screamingmoonrock

screamingmoonrock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

Gerard Butler

#12 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Gerard Butler

no, for starters he is way too young

#13 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Nicolas Winding Refn to direct, Denzel Washington still signed on.

#14 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Will this really take off? I'd have thought the EQUALIZER is by now a bit too obscure to make a big studio take the risk of reviving him.

#15 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I already like Person of Interest as this generations' Equilizer.

So this movie will most likely be a dissapointment.

#16 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Old guy in a black coat and an Uzi in the boot goes around beating up gangs and the mob... Sure i remembered watching Woodward as assassin CALLAN  on tv;  grinding his fist into a bowel of sand every night to toughen it up - great character. But that made the tacky naffness of The Equaliser  that much more disappointing and it seemed pretty lame, even for the 80s. I haven't seen it since so maybe my own poor teen-tastes missed a subtext of nihilism or gritty urban realities (had enough of that in real life).

When i heard Denzil Washington had signed up i was surprised that such a good actor and box office draw would be interested. Then again perhaps he's finally after an action franchise of his own (like Cruise and Mission Impossible, Damon and Bourne). He makes the prospect more interesting than most of the ageing Hollywood A-listers, but still nothing to get really excited about yet.

Then.... Nicolas Winding Refn signs on to direct (at least that's the latest gossip) and suddenly this becomes one of my most eagerly anticipated movies.

Refn is responsible for putting Tom Hardy's hitherto humungous full talents (his acting, not his muscle) on the world stage in the masterpiece BRONSON.

Refn followed that with VALHALLA RISING,  proving that as well as a visionary he is an actor's director, pulling career best performances. Hardy in Bronson coulda' been a fluke, or just down to Hardy, but in Valhalla Rising we see Le Chiffre himself, Mads Mikkelsen portray grizzled survivor One-Eye. The first act is supreme filmmaking. Athough the second gets a little lost in 2001: A Space Odyssey territory, and final act doesn't quite recover the supremacy of the first, it's still a captivating, tense film that only Refn could make.

Then he made the best 80s homage (in tone) ever with DRIVE. A stunning piece of filmmaking that is at once a tense thriller, highly emotive drama and meditational opera. He blends these aesthetics and constructs effortlessly in a way that while not the same, is reminiscent of David Lynch's mastery of cinematic texture and inventive story telling. Again Refn directs another career best performance, IMO, from the brooding Ryan Goslin.

DRIVE  also has my joint favourite film score of all time by Cliff Martinez (along with Mark Ishams eerie music for The Hitcher  in 1986 and Ennio Morricone's peerless opus on Leone's Dollars trilogy). Martinez also did the wonderful Solaris (remake) score..

Next up is the fight / revenge movie ONLY GOD FORGIVES  set in bangkok, again starring Ryan Goslin, which i'm looking forward perhaps more than any other movie next yext (ok, it's on par with Star Trek: Into Darkness).

So, Refn has a love for the 80s aesthetic and can portray the anti-hero better than anyone, by including their foibles and weaknesses not with the usual remorse or excuses shown by most mainstream filmmakers, but instead with depth and great interest as an intrisic part of what makes the character that particular character. He portrays violence (like Lynch) a way that is at once beautiful, sexy and completely bloody terrifying. Refn can turn The Equaliser into something truly awesome and provide Denzil Washington with a career high, if not another Oscar.

I've been mooting Refn as a Bond director for some time here. I think that once The Equaliser hits i will no longer be his lonely supporter for the job.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 08 December 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Old guy in a black coat and an Uzi in the boot goes around beating up gangs and the mob... As a teen this seemed pretty lame, even for the 80s. Haven't seen it since so maybe my own teeny poor taste missed a subtext of nihilism or gritty urban realities (had enough of that in real life).

When i heard Denzil Washington had signed up i was surprised that such a good actor and box office draw would be interested. Then again perhaps he's finally after an action franchise of his own (like Cruise and Mission Impossible, Damon and Bourne). He makes the prospect more interesting than most of the ageing Hollywood A-listers, but still nothing to get really excited about yet.

Then.... Nicolas Winding Refn signs on to direct (at least that the latest leak) and suddenly this becomes one of my most eagerly anticipated movies.

Refn is responsible for putting Tom Hardy's hitherto humungous full talents (his acting, not his muscle) on the world stage in the masterpiece BRONSON.

Refn followed that with VALHALLA RISING, proving that as well as a visionary he is an actor's director, pulling career best performances. Hardy in Bronson coulda' been a fluke, or just down to Hardy, but in Valhalla Rising we see Le Chiffre himself portray grizzled survivor One-Eye. The first act is supreme filmmaking. Athough the second gets a little lost in 2001: A Space Odyssey territory, and final act doesn't quite recover the supremacy of the first, it's still captivating, tense film that only Refn could make.

Then he made the best 80s homage (in tone) ever with DRIVE. A stunning piece of filmmaking that is at once tense thriller, highly emotive drama and meditational opera. His blends these aesthetic and constructs effortlessly in a way that while not the same, is reminiscent of David Lynch's mastery of cinematic texture and inventive story telling. Again it's another career best, IMO. performance from the brooding Ryan Goslin.

Next up is the fight/revenge movie ONLY GOD FORGIVES set in bangkok, again starring Ryan Goslin, which i'm looking forward perhaps more than any other movie next yext (ok, it's on par with Star Trek: Into Darkness).

So, Refn has a love for the 80s aesthetic and can portray the 'hard man' better than anyone, by including their foibles and weaknesses with great interest. He portrays violence (like Lynch) a way that is at once beautiful, sexy and completely bloody terrifying. Refn can turn The Equaliser into something truly awesome and provide ^ Washington with a career high, if not another Oscar.

I've been mooting Refn as a Bond director for some time here. I think that once The Equaliser hits i will no longer be hos lonely supporter for the job.

It's indeed a bit of a mystery what the appeal of the show for a big screen production today would be. It completely lacks that 'cult' monicker that usually makes such things happen sooner or later. Refn's involvement probably is responsible for a good deal of the hype surrounding this project now.

Denzel Washington has already tackled various series characters, Easy Rawlins, John W. Creasy, Lincoln Rhyme. I doubt Washington is after a franchise of his own, he could have had that several times already. From what I gather today it's the stars themselves buying options on series characters, having then the time to wait and see if one of their projects takes off with them in the lead. DiCaprio supposedly has Travis McGee secured for some time now for example.

Edited by Dustin, 08 December 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#18 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Old guy in a black coat and an Uzi in the boot goes around beating up gangs and the mob... As a teen this seemed pretty lame, even for the 80s. Haven't seen it since so maybe my own teeny poor taste missed a subtext of nihilism or gritty urban realities (had enough of that in real life).

Then.... Nicolas Winding Refn signs on to direct (at least that the latest leak) and suddenly this becomes one of my most eagerly anticipated movies.

Refn followed that with VALHALLA RISING, proving that as well as a visionary he is an actor's director, pulling career best performances. Hardy in Bronson coulda' been a fluke, or just down to Hardy, but in Valhalla Rising we see Le Chiffre himself portray grizzled survivor One-Eye. The first act is supreme filmmaking. Athough the second gets a little lost in 2001: A Space Odyssey territory, and final act doesn't quite recover the supremacy of the first, it's still captivating, tense film that only Refn could make.

Then he made the best 80s homage (in tone) ever with DRIVE. A stunning piece of filmmaking that is at once tense thriller, highly emotive drama and meditational opera. His blends these aesthetic and constructs effortlessly in a way that while not the same, is reminiscent of David Lynch's mastery of cinematic texture and inventive story telling. Again it's another career best, IMO. performance from the brooding Ryan Goslin.

Next up is the fight/revenge movie ONLY GOD FORGIVES set in bangkok, again starring Ryan Goslin, which i'm looking forward perhaps more than any other movie next yext (ok, it's on par with Star Trek: Into Darkness).

So, Refn has a love for the 80s aesthetic and can portray the 'hard man' better than anyone, by including their foibles and weaknesses with great interest. He portrays violence (like Lynch) a way that is at once beautiful, sexy and completely bloody terrifying. Refn can turn The Equaliser into something truly awesome and provide ^ Washington with a career high, if not another Oscar.

I've been mooting Refn as a Bond director for some time here. I think that once The Equaliser hits i will no longer be hos lonely supporter for the job.

It's indeed a bit of a mystery what the appeal of the show for a big screen production today would be. It completely lacks that 'cult' monicker that usually makes such things happen sooner or later. Refn's involvement probably is responsible for a good deal of the hype surrounding this project now.

Denzel Washington has already tackled various series characters, Easy Rawlins, John W. Creasy, Lincoln Rhyme. I doubt Washington is after a franchise of his own, he could have had that several times already. From what I gather today it's the stars themselves buying options on series characters, having then the time to wait and see if one of their projects takes off with them in the lead. DiCaprio supposedly has Travis McGee secured for some time now for example.

Good point, but it's being reported that Sony are indeed hoping for a franchise out of this, so i imagine they've signed Washington for more than one.

Of course if it only does the mediocre business of the three examples you gave above then obviously Sony will decide not to make any more. And even if The Equaliser does good business Washington may himself renege on any commitment he's surely made to do a sequel.

But as it stands right now IMO this is Washington's attempt to now try his hand at (another) franchise.

#19 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Will this really take off? I'd have thought the EQUALIZER is by now a bit too obscure to make a big studio take the risk of reviving him.

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I also don't think it matters. It's a fairly generic concept, this is basically going to be 201?'s Denzel action movie, any branding outside of that wont matter

#20 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I also don't think it matters. It's a fairly generic concept, this is basically going to be 201?'s Denzel action movie, any branding outside of that wont matter

Probably. Still, curious this is with an eye on a franchise.

#21 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

There's a Death Wish remake in the works, mooted by director Joe Carnahan.

http://collider.com/...th-wish/141901/

He's made a few clangers (Smokin' Aces and The A-Team), but also the recent Liam Neeson vehicle The Grey, which was pretty good and way back Narc, which for my money is up there with best in its undercover genre, such as Donnie Brasco. So in short if he ever gets round to making Death Wish i expect something good and very populist.

The Equaliser is more or less a high concept vigilante movie, so i see it as being Sony's answer to Death Wish and thereby creating a little zeitgeist for vigilante movies across the board, as studios tend to do. The good ones will doubtless spawn sequels.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 08 December 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#22 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Denzel playing a role original created for George Lazenby? Hmmmmm. The mind boggles.

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Then.... Nicolas Winding Refn signs on to direct (at least that's the latest gossip) and suddenly this becomes one of my most eagerly anticipated movies.

Refn followed that with VALHALLA RISING,  proving that as well as a visionary he is an actor's director, pulling career best performances. Hardy in Bronson coulda' been a fluke, or just down to Hardy, but in Valhalla Rising we see Le Chiffre himself, Mads Mikkelsen portray grizzled survivor One-Eye. The first act is supreme filmmaking. Athough the second gets a little lost in 2001: A Space Odyssey territory, and final act doesn't quite recover the supremacy of the first, it's still a captivating, tense film that only Refn could make.

Then he made the best 80s homage (in tone) ever with DRIVE. A stunning piece of filmmaking that is at once a tense thriller, highly emotive drama and meditational opera. He blends these aesthetics and constructs effortlessly in a way that while not the same, is reminiscent of David Lynch's mastery of cinematic texture and inventive story telling. Again Refn directs another career best performance, IMO, from the brooding Ryan Goslin.

DRIVE  also has my joint favourite film score of all time by Cliff Martinez (along with Mark Ishams eerie music for The Hitcher  in 1986 and Ennio Morricone's peerless opus on Leone's Dollars trilogy). Martinez also did the wonderful Solaris (remake) score..

Next up is the fight / revenge movie ONLY GOD FORGIVES  set in bangkok, again starring Ryan Goslin, which i'm looking forward perhaps more than any other movie next yext (ok, it's on par with Star Trek: Into Darkness).

You missed AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MARPLE: NEMESIS starring the brooding Geraldine McEwen :)

#24 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

DRIVE is a piece of S***. Soulless, despicable, nihilistic, hipster trash.

#25 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Nah, it's a very watchable thriller. It's a very self-conscious one, and it's desperate to portray Gosling as Steve McQueen reincarnated (hasn't he got a lop-sided face?!) but it works.

#26 Ragal El Mostaheel

Ragal El Mostaheel

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

You know, the term hipster has been overused to death especially when its used to trash a movie

#27 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

I wouldn't go that far, but the finished film is quite a bore. Just go watch "The Driver" with Ryan O' Neal, now that's more like it. It's also got Isabelle Adjani who's miles more interesting than Carey Mulligan.

And I still don't get what the fuss is about Gosling. He hasn't convinced me in anything yet. He certainly isn't cool. He's seems to go for the same coolness-vibe in Gangster Squad and it's utterly cringeworthy judging from the trailer.

Edited by lechero, 14 December 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#28 Thevan7F

Thevan7F

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Well The Equalizer Movie is going to be made. Denzel Washington is going to play The late Edward Woodward role.  He does have to do it Edward Woodward way but his own. Remember 2 Licence to Kill stars Robert Davi & Anthony  Zerbe in the TV series. Late Edward Woodward you probably you knew him in his own spy Series Callen . Only 1 Question why don't they make movie version of that Series?

B)  ;)  :P  :D  :D  :rolleyes:  :)  :laugh:  :wub:

#29 007luvchild2

007luvchild2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

This would be interesting, and I'm pretty sure that Denzel could do well.   I have always been a fan of the TV show.   Although, I envisioned Geofrrey Rush, or Paul Bettany. 

#30 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

The deal with Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't closed and he has moved on. The director search continues.