Dalton in 'The Tourist'

11 replies to this topic

#1 dchantry

dchantry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Really crap film, but one thing that stood out for me was that even today aged 67, Dalton still looks great. In fact, he looked better in this than Rog did in AVTAK.

Such a shame how everything panned out as he could have made a lot more Bond films, at least up to the end of Brosnan's era and although LTK was panned by the dritics (a personal favourit of mine though), he could have still delivered more after.

QoS critics reaction and Craig carrying on is a case in point.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Really crap film, but one thing that stood out for me was that even today aged 67, Dalton still looks great. In fact, he looked better in this than Rog did in AVTAK.

Such a shame how everything panned out as he could have made a lot more Bond films, at least up to the end of Brosnan's era and although LTK was panned by the dritics (a personal favourit of mine though), he could have still delivered more after.

Yes, an awful, awful film - but always a delight to see him popping up now and again.

#3 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Yes, an awful, awful film - but always a delight to see him popping up now and again.

I disagree. I think the movie was rather clever. Timothy Dalton played his part very well. Terence Stamp played a cool villain. He'd certainly make an adequate Bond villain, I think. Angelina Jolie is well... Angelina Jolie. I suppose if the film had any flaws at all, it would have to be that drippingly fake British accent that Johnny Depp carried over from his PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN movies.

Edited by Miles Miservy, 02 December 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Terence Stamp played a cool villain.

Was he in it? I can't remember / don't want to.

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

I don't think Stamp was in the film. Steven Berkoff played the film's villain if I remember correctly.

#6 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

With his usual subtle understatement?

#7 K.O.P.

K.O.P.

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

If you get a chance to watch the much superior French film The Tourist is based on, Anthony Zimmer, please do. It stars Sophie Marceau.

#8 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

A British film reviewer summed up this film quiet nicely, as a tedious and lifeless homage/rip-off of movies like Charade and North By Northwest.

Obvious red herrings all over and serve lack of Dalton.

#9 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

The best part of the movie was the cinematography. Venice is a beautiful city & it looks fantastic. I didn't realize Dalton was in the movie until I saw it in the theater. This was a nice surprise & he would be the second best part of the movie.

#10 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

I don't think Stamp was in the film. Steven Berkoff played the film's villain if I remember correctly.

You're right.

#11 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Why is it an 'awful, awful' film? I thought it was great! It didn't take itself too seriously. It was a romp. One of my favourite films of the last three or four years. I thought it would be right up everyone's street here on CB.n

Edited by DavidJones, 15 January 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#12 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

God how I hated that movie. What I hated the most, is that Dalton was barely in it! What a let down...I mean, to tell the truth, Dalton was the main reason I wanted to see the movie.

Edited by iBond, 07 February 2013 - 04:31 AM.